The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flyers trade D Luke Schenn F Vincent Lecavalier to Los Angeles for F Jordan Weal and a 3rd

1 hour ago, JV77 said:

I agree.  And the Hawks too.  No matter how good they already are, they are always looking to improve and do so.

Hawks are looking for a d -man and top 6 forward.  They are constantly looking to upgrade positions.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don't know how this can be considered anything but a win for LA.  They get two decent players for the bottom of their lineup at cheap cap hits and give effectively nothing in return.

The question is why did Philly do this?  If Vinny was going to retire at the end of the season regardless then there was no real need to dump him.  Retaining that much salary means they aren't really opening up room to take on someone else's bad contract for the rest of the season either.

Do you see Philly making the playoffs?   The point would be asset management - I'd think the more obvious question would be why Philly would keep Lecavalier when they can recover value (ie a 3rd) in a deal for him.   The additional question is why they'd keep Schenn and his contract when they can clear out a pylon and make space for their younger, more talented blueliners.  They are a franchise that has Gostisbehere, Hagg, Sanheim, Provorov, Morin in their pipeline.  They've been trying to dump Schenn for some time so this really comes as no surprise.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

This is why the Kings win. They're not afraid to make big moves to improve their team.

A deep team just got even deeper.

That's it. It's a 'big' move to shore up something they thought they were lacking. Whether they were or weren't, Lecavalier is 6'3" and Schenn is 6'2" - They didn't get smaller. The slower game the kings play won't hurt their style either.

He's not afraid to make the move... and Vinny might just be very well motivated for his true last chance - if he can go out with another cup, what better way to go out?

Lecavalier's been the most overpaid player in NHL history. He'll be a 3rd line player in LA and retire at end of season as his salary drops to 3 mill next year. Schenn is UFA and this gives him a chance to raise his value. 

LA gearing up to make another Cup run. 

Caps vs Kings in the SCF.

Go Caps.

1 hour ago, theminister said:

Man, that's a lot of cap for LA to eat.

They must have something else up.

That was my first thought, that they didn't even have cap for that. But, Philly retaining 50% on both contracts sure helps out with that!

58 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don't know how this can be considered anything but a win for LA.  They get two decent players for the bottom of their lineup at cheap cap hits and give effectively nothing in return.

The question is why did Philly do this?  If Vinny was going to retire at the end of the season regardless then there was no real need to dump him.  Retaining that much salary means they aren't really opening up room to take on someone else's bad contract for the rest of the season either.

Makes sense to me from Philly's perspective: Lecavalier retiring and Schenn and UFA could both walk for nothing at the end of the season, so instead they got a prospect and a 3rd for them and sped up the process of them leaving. They won't have to worry about Vinny's retained salary after this year when he retires since it's not a 35+ contract.

But as much as we knew the Flyers we getting terrible offers in trying to move these two, this confirms how far they had to go to get this much. Even more of a surprise they could move them both in one deal, but still.

3 minutes ago, aliboy said:

They might dump Hoff as he's been a healthy scratch, in which case I hope we grab him. I realize people will disagree with this, I don't care.

Hoff would be welcome, if only just to get Weber out of the line up.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

The speed doesn't matter part, lol.

I suppose when they've lost to the Hawks it was the Hawks superior grit that decided it, right.

Another DeNiro oversimplification.

They also beat the Hawks!  How the heck are you trying to justify Kings being slow and teams will skate circles around them when the have 2 cups in the last 4 years?

Assuming this highers the percentage of Lucic hitting FA/coming to Vancouver. 

This moves indicates LA is all in and want to go on a Cup drive before they get cap strapped with the Kopitar extension in the offseason, kinda like the Hawks are now but still making it work (lucky bastards...Panarin on a ELC :sadno: )

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Schenn's brought in to replace the departed Robyn Regher.   It may very well work out for L.A. 

Vinny was a throw in, as Philly probably asked L.A "you guys have to take Vinny in order for this trade to be completed" type of thing.

well done.

Vinny wasn't being played in Philly, writing was on the wall, so he agreed to retire at end of year before LA made the deal. No way LA keeps Vinny on as bottom 6 forward at 4.5 mill cap hit for 2 more years. His salary drops to 3 mill next year. He's retiring at end of this year. 

Easily the most overpaid guy in NHL history. HE was making 10 mill per year in Tampa, got bought out and signed a 22 mill deal with Philly. 

He gives LA depth at C, he can slot in at 3C and make a run for the cup.

Weal was essentially another Vey, which I'd think is about the same value as Lecavalier if not a bit more.

This is essentially a 3rd round pick + tiny bit of value for Schenn.

Benning should have made that trade in a heart-beat. We need a physical right handed defenceman for the time being, Schenn would have been worth a 3rd. I'd rather Schenn now than a flyer on Brisebois

26 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Weal was essentially another Vey, which I'd think is about the same value as Lecavalier if not a bit more.

This is essentially a 3rd round pick + tiny bit of value for Schenn.

Benning should have made that trade in a heart-beat. We need a physical right handed defenceman for the time being, Schenn would have been worth a 3rd. I'd rather Schenn now than a flyer on Brisebois

You must be from the future lol.

Just a hunch but you don't really know anything about the player, do you.

Archived