The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden confirms Higgins will be traded

Roger Neilsons Towel

2 minutes ago, homersexual said:

I do find it weird that Trevor would say something like this for public consumption. It does nobody any good to say 'we are trying to trade this person'.

With that in mind, Higgins for Drouin confirmed!

Your not serious?? about the conf..

12 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Higgins is not the only guy to get more criticism on CDC than is warranted. Of course, some posters just like to criticize and getting that kind of criticism comes with the territory. I'm guessing he doesn't worry about it much.

I like HIggins and he had played well for the team until this year, which has been a bad year. But I would not say he has been a "steal" for the franchise or that he has played above his cap hit. At a $2.5 million cap hit you expect a solid 3rd-liner (although I know Benning is paying that much for two 4th liners -- Prust and Dorsett.) Higgins has never been more that a solid 3rd-liner in terms of performance even though he has spent a lot of time on the second line.

I cannot see him being moved easily. The Canucks would need to retain significant salary and/or take a bad contract in return and/or include another asset.

Just started watching hockey this year I take it.

Have a closer look at his tenure here and get back to me.

This year has been a disaster for him.  

Otherwise, he has:

1) Been a .5 ppg player for this franchise, and has played for 1.9 - 2.5 million over 5 seasons.

2) Has been an elite puck hound and very intelligent two way player.  As an example, had 50 takeaways and + 36 turnover differntial while scoring 43 points in 71 games on the third line in 2011/12, with outstanding underlying numbers.

3).Extremely versatile guy that has always been on the underside of 50% ozone starts, plays hard minutes, kills penalities, and can be used in any situation.

Etc. Etc.  Was acquired for a pittance. has been a cap steal all along, and if he returns absolutely nothing has been one of the better bargain acquisitions in this franchise's history.

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Higgins is not the only guy to get more criticism on CDC than is warranted. Of course, some posters just like to criticize and getting that kind of criticism comes with the territory. I'm guessing he doesn't worry about it much.

I like HIggins and he had played well for the team until this year, which has been a bad year. But I would not say he has been a "steal" for the franchise or that he has played above his cap hit. At a $2.5 million cap hit you expect a solid 3rd-liner (although I know Benning is paying that much for two 4th liners -- Prust and Dorsett.) Higgins has never been more that a solid 3rd-liner in terms of performance even though he has spent a lot of time on the second line.

I cannot see him being moved easily. The Canucks would need to retain significant salary and/or take a bad contract in return and/or include another asset.

You don't understand the criticism on CDC?  He is grossly overpaid and has shown next to nothing on the ice for far too long.  Hence it will be hard to trade him.  But you don't understand the criticism?

24 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

After the Canucks Season Ticket Holders Autograph signing today, President Trevor Linden met with fans to answer questions. At the end of the questions period he revealed that they have met with Chris Higgins and informed him they will be exploring trade options over the next couple of days to free up a Roster spot for younger players. Thoughts? 

I am personally relieved and believe that is the best decision for both the Canucks organization and Higgins, who could use a change of scenery and a chance to play. 

Awesome, thanks for your time here and the years you put in some good play through some of them, but not have done nothing lately time to move on for both parties

11 minutes ago, homersexual said:

I do find it weird that Trevor would say something like this for public consumption. It does nobody any good to say 'we are trying to trade this person'.

With that in mind, Higgins for Drouin confirmed!

Entirely possible that he asked for a trade and they're trying to avoid making the request public.

Edit: ninja'ed by the Freidman quotes.

Just now, Yukoncanuck87 said:

Sounds like Higgins doesn't like his role on the team either n might've asked for a trade? Just speculating but he's not dressing till this is sorted sounds like someone might moved asap. 

He didnt ask for a trade, rather, Linden and co are trying to trade him. They must've discussed this before as it would be wrong for Linden to break out the news in a season-ticket holder event while not informing Higgins himself.

Archived