The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden confirms Higgins will be traded

Roger Neilsons Towel

There are what, 5 or 6 teams within a 40 minute flight of the new York area?  I am hoping they can find a trade partner near there for him.

Barring that and as sad as this might make some people.  Waiving him and allowing him to go to utica in the event they cannot find a trade partner near his home would be a blessing.  The guy is very family oriented and with his sisters recorded health and development issues and how much time he puts in with her it would be an awesome thing for him to even end up there.

Class act quality guy.  We knew what we were getting from him every night even if it wasn't overly physical or a scoring threat.

Hoping they can get him close to home.

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

If Higgins is as valuable as you say he is, he would have been traded by now. The reason the Canucks are making this public is because trading him has basically become impossible. 

I'd say Higgins limited NTC hurts JB and co. more than no suitors. 

59 minutes ago, sponge62 said:

They can explore whatever they want but Higgins gets the final word on any trade.

When a team puts out a statement like this, it's basically a last step before waiving him and trying to find him another home via trade, still in the NHL, out of respect.

The alternative is waivers where he either goes to a team he has no say in location or Utica where he's out of the NHL. 

At this point any NTC doesn't mean much. 

Higgins is the poster boy of the old country club mentality.  When I think of country club I think of chris higgins.  

Maybe its his hair but the team plays better with him out of the lineup and its time for him to have a fresh start.  He could be a good impact depth player on a new team and in a new dressing room.  He has valuable xp but has worn out his welcome in van.  He could even end up in FLA.

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

After the Canucks Season Ticket Holders Autograph signing today, President Trevor Linden met with fans to answer questions. At the end of the questions period he revealed that they have met with Chris Higgins and informed him they will be exploring trade options over the next couple of days to free up a Roster spot for younger players. Thoughts? 

I am personally relieved and believe that is the best decision for both the Canucks organization and Higgins, who could use a change of scenery and a chance to play. 

I wish this meant Guance and/or Shink were going to get time. They've earned it. 

1 hour ago, sponge62 said:

They can explore whatever they want but Higgins gets the final word on any trade.

I think he gets to void a trade to his pick of 5 teams.  He has no say on the rest........that's my understanding of his etc anyway

55 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Yeah not sure why they have to go public with that. Interest is probably really low.

Yep... go public.  JB has probably tried him in every trade proposal he's suggested... Higgins+ for Johanssen... (crickets).  Higgins straight up for Etem (laughter on the other end).  Higgins for Drouin (tumbleweed).  But knowing that it's open season, there might be a bidding war where there wasn't before.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There are what, 5 or 6 teams within a 40 minute flight of the new York area?  I am hoping they can find a trade partner near there for him.

Barring that and as sad as this might make some people.  Waiving him and allowing him to go to utica in the event they cannot find a trade partner near his home would be a blessing.  The guy is very family oriented and with his sisters recorded health and development issues and how much time he puts in with her it would be an awesome thing for him to even end up there.

Class act quality guy.  We knew what we were getting from him every night even if it wasn't overly physical or a scoring threat.

Hoping they can get him close to home.

Well said. Up until this year this guy has made a career out of playing above his pay grade. Wish it could be done a little less messy but after signing Etem we have 24 contracts with the team and something has to give as guys start coming back off injury. Thanks for everything Higgins

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

When a team puts out a statement like this, it's basically a last step before waiving him and trying to find him another home via trade, still in the NHL, out of respect.

The alternative is waivers where he either goes to a team he has no say in location or Utica where he's out of the NHL. 

At this point any NTC doesn't mean much. 

They could be trying to make him open up more teams before waiving. Coming public may be a way of trying to encourage him to open up.

Otherwise yeah waivers is the last resort.

Archived