The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden confirms Higgins will be traded

Roger Neilsons Towel

From Higgins' perspective I feel bad for him that the bounces aren't falling his way. Maybe he needs a change of scenery and a trade will fix that. I never was one of the waive him crowd because of a bad year but he himself probably knows his performances weren't cutting it. Wish him luck in the future. 

From an organizational standpoint how does it look like to other players and especially free agents that might want to sign here? Does this change the perception of what others think about the way this organization treats the players or are the implications of this not going to have an effect? Leads to an interesting next few years for sure.

2 minutes ago, PlayingBurke said:

I believe this is a prudent move for the Canuck's management. Higgins is a solid veteran who can play on the third-line for an cup contending team. His cap is reasonable as well, and I don't think you'll see Benning have to retain any. I expect a low pick, maybe a 4th round pick in this year's draft at best. However, I would not be surprised if Benning looked for a young B-prospect defensemen who he thinks is undervalued in an organization. 

Perhaps to Habs for Dalton Thrower... I'm a fan of the kid, getting no opportunity with the Ice Caps.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather trade Edler if possible though.  We have enough left side guys and Tanev is a great stabilizing influence.  Not to mention his age fits our rebuild better.

real smart to trade the Canucks strongest D man down low especially given the fact the Canucks haveto play big heavy western conference teams often.  JB laughs in your face and then lets edler slap you for good measure

28 minutes ago, homersexual said:

It's time!...

smvQwxP.jpg

But he's going to the Laughs rights¿

I think sportnet is stupid. No way Yzerman doesn't at least trade him if he can't sign him and why would he want to come here when Tampa is a cup contender? I don't think he's going to the Laughs. The only way he comes here is if he plays wing with the twins and is guaranteed an 8 year deal.

Would be cool to get a superstar center but it's highly unlikely we get him.

...but yes it's still funny.

12 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I have kind of a middle-of-the road view of Higgins. oldnews is more positive and took exception to my comment in one direction. Raspberries is very negative about Higgins and took exception to my comment in the other direction. This is fine, I have no problem with disagreement.

You engaged my post actually - attempting to "take exception" with the point that he's been an excellent deal for this franchise for the last four years.

See the rest of that post where I responded to you in case you care to argue with his objective outcomes over that period.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather trade Edler if possible though.  We have enough left side guys and Tanev is a great stabilizing influence.  Not to mention his age fits our rebuild better.

So would I but I don't think the Isles would do that. Maybe they can can be convinced on Edler - size advantage vs Tanev and better offensively but Tanev is the better defensive player, not to mention Edler has a NTC so we risk upsetting him.

I just think NYI would want Tanev and my view is, as much as I love Tanev, Hamonic brings everything he does and is bigger, more physical and has slightly more offensive upside. It's an upgrade for us and relatively close for NYI depending on what their blueline looks like, certainly neither side is coming out unhappy - a good hockey trade basically.

Hamonic fits our conference better - again I LOVE TANEV AND WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM RETIRE A CANUCK....I just think NYI would want him over Edler, but yes if I'm Benning I start the discussion with Edler/Higgins and maybe forget the pick and see if that gets us there, add in a pick if required.

7 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

real smart to trade the Canucks strongest D man down low especially given the fact the Canucks haveto play big heavy western conference teams often.  JB laughs in your face and then lets edler slap you for good measure

Hamonic can help fill that void and solves the handedness issue while clearing room for Pedan.  I like Edler as a complimentary piece but I think he'll be slowing down right when we're ready to contend again.

:S

I'm fine with moving him, but being so bold as to just come out with it... I don't think it helps Higgins, his value or the team in dealing with this distraction. Not fond of how this is being handled, Luongo-esque. 

All the best to Higgins, he was a great teammate, good in the community and a quality human. 

42 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Just the reality at this point.  Higgins' broken foot and concussion have really impacted his game.  

Will have to go directly against the obvious grain that will emerge here.

Sad to see the guy made into a flavour of the week CDC whipping boy. Disgusting really.  He's been an absolute steal for this franchise since the day he arrived - we should be thanking the guy for years of performing above his role and cap hit.  

At this point, the team has emerging youth depth and is transitioning.  It's unfortunate - the context in which he's being reduced - some folks even being daft enough to whine about his contract - but that's the business.   His production and outstanding two way play have exceeded any reasonable expectations up to this bad fortune season.

If you are moved - thanks Chris - hope you regain your health and go to a contender where you can be a solid bottom six contributor - the kind of player you win with.

He definitely has been an invaluable player and asset to this team in the past, but that's the key word: "was". He no longer "is" anymore. You can be proud of what he's done for the team and at the same time say his time is up. Aging happens for all of us, youth doesn't last forever. He's been great, but he doesn't add anything to the team right now and it's time for him to move on to try some different scenery. Hoping for a 3rd round pick, but that may be a bit too greedy.

6 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

He definitely has been an invaluable player and asset to this team in the past, but that's the key word: "was". He no longer "is" anymore. You can be proud of what he's done for the team and at the same time say his time is up. Aging happens for all of us, youth doesn't last forever. He's been great, but he doesn't add anything to the team right now and it's time for him to move on to try some different scenery. Hoping for a 3rd round pick, but that may be a bit too greedy.

did you actually read the post you're responding to?  I realize his time here is up - the team is transitioning and has youth depth to replace him.

Higgins is easily worth a 3rd when healthy - unfortunately he's not - and given even some of us CDCers (not on the hatewagon) realize that, I doubt it's lost on any team that might look at acquiring him.  Realistically, his value in context is probably less than that - although any team that looks at his value as a healthy asset may consider paying that.

Archived