The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Freidman "I wouldn't be surprised if The Canucks threw some serious money at Stamkos"

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we get Stamkos, and get lucky and get Matthews, Say goodbye to our two best players ever.  Burr is a buy out regardless. 

Sedins aren't going anywhere. lol. they are here to stay as Canucks until they retire. 

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Sedins aren't going anywhere. lol. they are here to stay as Canucks until they retire. 

Would you keep the Twins if it meant not getting Stamkos?  We said the same about Trevor Linden.  He was traded, and from those assets came one Twin, Bertuzzi, and then Luongo.  Of course we love the twins, but in this new Cap era, moving Cap space to acquire a UFA is like a trade.  So it's the Twins for Stamkos.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would you keep the Twins if it meant not getting Stamkos?  We said the same about Trevor Linden.  He was traded, and from those assets came one Twin, Bertuzzi, and then Luongo.  Of course we love the twins, but in this new Cap era, moving Cap space to acquire a UFA is like a trade.  So it's the Twins for Stamkos.  

I would love to see the Sedins win the cup, it would shut up all the HATERS towards them. Problem is almost 100% guarantee it wont happen during their current contract. I believe they want to keep their image here perfect and wont play for another team.

Would I resent them for waiving to try and win a cup, HELL NO! But it would be very hard to send BOTH to a cup contender as they eat up 17m in cap space.

On February 18, 2016 at 2:23 AM, WHL rocks said:

Times would surely be good.

A top  3 pick and another 1st for Hammer plus 2nds and 3rds for whichever other vets we offload and we're sitting pretty at the draft table. 

Then if JB needs to move up a couple of spots he'l have enough picks to be able to do that. 

This team desperately needs a future 1C. Hopefully we get Mathews but chances are obviously low.  

No no no... we draft one of the big 3's, trade Hammer for a late 1st rounder. AND we sign Stamkos. THEN we buy out Burr and Higgy and sign Yandle/Demers. THEN Boeser and Shinkurak graduate, and Tryamkin and Pedan come to camp and play like regular NHL Dmen!! DYNASTY!! No... WORLD DOMINATION!!  HAAHAAHAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAAA! HAAAHAHHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHA!!

6 hours ago, Yotes said:

I would love to see the Sedins win the cup, it would shut up all the HATERS towards them. Problem is almost 100% guarantee it wont happen during their current contract. I believe they want to keep their image here perfect and wont play for another team.

Would I resent them for waiving to try and win a cup, HELL NO! But it would be very hard to send BOTH to a cup contender as they eat up 17m in cap space.

They arent eating space if there is nothing to spend it on other then the Bollands and Clarksons.

Just off the top of my head, PIT has 9, 8, 7, 6 million tied up in star players. So ours would be 7, 7,  12.5 with Stamkos. If we dump Burrows and don't resign Vrbata

9 hours ago, Yotes said:

THey make a combined 14 mill. We can retain up to 50% meaning the team trading for them would get them for 3.5 mill each. That's peanuts for players of that calibre. It would put any contender over the top.

I think that's what we should do. Maybe a team like Florida would trade for them next year  when their kids are 1 year older and the team is ready to make a real run at the Cup. 

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

THey make a combined 14 mill. We can retain up to 50% meaning the team trading for them would get them for 3.5 mill each. That's peanuts for players of that calibre. It would put any contender over the top.

I think that's what we should do. Maybe a team like Florida would trade for them next year  when their kids are 1 year older and the team is ready to make a real run at the Cup. 

What do you think the potential return would be? 

If the Sedins with 50% retained ever went on the trade market, probably every top team would clamour to get them. Imagine them on the 2nd line of a cup contender not having to be the defensive focus of the other team exclusively? They would easily make that team a favourite to win.

8 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

No no no... we draft one of the big 3's, trade Hammer for a late 1st rounder. AND we sign Stamkos. THEN we buy out Burr and Higgy and sign Yandle/Demers. THEN Boeser and Shinkurak graduate, and Tryamkin and Pedan come to camp and play like regular NHL Dmen!! DYNASTY!! No... WORLD DOMINATION!!  HAAHAAHAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAAA! HAAAHAHHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHA!!

Even with the twins, Stamkos, Matthews, and Yandle, we'll still be in tough come playoff time. Come next year, our starter will be Markstrom, who's played a total of how many NHL playoff games? 

It's fun to dream though. I really can see our own first being a top 5. Hopefully we have another 1st once Hamhuis is moved.

Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi/Tkachuk/Nylander + a late 1st Dman

Or

Chychrun/Juolevi + late first steal like DeBrincat

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If the Sedins with 50% retained ever went on the trade market, probably every top team would clamour to get them. Imagine them on the 2nd line of a cup contender not having to be the defensive focus of the other team exclusively? They would easily make that team a favourite to win.

It would depend on the team but I'd say one 1st  one 3rd one top end prospect one mid level prospect and 2 roster players who would bring some salary back plus make room for Sedins to play on new team.. 

I'd say one roster player would be a top 6 forward. The other could be a lesser player

I haven't given it much thought, just a few mins. WHat do you think WSA, I'd like to hear what you think we can get back

Other than just money, I dont see any reason why Stamkos would sign in Vancouver.  Certainly therell be other teams to offer close to league max like Toronto.

I just dont see it.  There would be better odds if they went after Boucher as Head Coach, but honestly I think that IF they move along Desardins that Green would be the obvious choice.

I dont think LA will be able to sign Lucic.  I know he said he wanted to retire there, but reading between the lines, he's saying hes looking for a retirement contract.  Great if its LA, but if its not, hell likely look for it elsewhere.

WIth the lottery and a bottom 5 finish, we actually have a good chance at one of the big 3...  THats an exciting notion.   

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Freeing up 2 roster spots though, that might be hard. Which Cup contender would risk giving 2 of their regulars (that we would be interested in) away? To hell with rat face 1.0 if we trade with Florida...

10 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Trading them would mean we'd have 7 million still on the cap and we'd not be able to retain any cap on any other deals as we'd be at our max of 3 contracts retained.  It would be impossible for it to happen this year as Hugor pointed out that somehow teams would have to open up two top 6 roster spots.  So a trade would have to happen in the offseason where team have holes that need to be filled.

The other thing to consider is, would the sedins at this age really be valuable second line players.  They are pure offensive players and thrive in the ozone, they play their best when they are getting the go to minutes.  Either their main minutes will be taking a hit of the team trading for them's top line will take a hit.  They aren't just one player that you can slot in.  ex. is Kesler better suited for the second line role in ANA than Hank?  Sedins would also take away offensive (PP) opportunity from Getz and Perry.

Then you have to consider their NMC, and reduce the return to only cup contenders as there isn't any way they'd waive to go to a bottom feeder.  Considering it's a cup contending team the 1st round pick would likely be in the 26-30 range.

I look at the Iggy trade in calgary.  Virtually the return the flames got back does absolutely nothing for their rebuild.  Klimchuk is in his first year at the AHL level and looks ok, but isn't anything to be overly excited about and the two prospects are none factors. Hanowski is already out of their system in Europe and Agostino is likely long term AHLer.  The return wasn't really the benefit flames got out of moving iggy.  The main benefit was that it allowed others to step up into leadership roles, others like Gio.

So even if you multiple that offer by two and add slightly more value (maybe a couple of 3rd round picks, slightly better prospects or a 28+ year old top 6 roster spot) it's not something you build a team around.  The real benefit to moving the sedins wouldn't be the return, it wouldn't be the cap space, it would be the fact that we would be a for sure bottom feeder and be picking up top picks.

17 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Trading them would mean we'd have 7 million still on the cap and we'd not be able to retain any cap on any other deals as we'd be at our max of 3 contracts retained.  It would be impossible for it to happen this year as Hugor pointed out that somehow teams would have to open up two top 6 roster spots.  So a trade would have to happen in the offseason where team have holes that need to be filled.

The other thing to consider is, would the sedins at this age really be valuable second line players.  They are pure offensive players and thrive in the ozone, they play their best when they are getting the go to minutes.  Either their main minutes will be taking a hit of the team trading for them's top line will take a hit.  They aren't just one player that you can slot in.  ex. is Kesler better suited for the second line role in ANA than Hank?  Sedins would also take away offensive (PP) opportunity from Getz and Perry.

Then you have to consider their NMC, and reduce the return to only cup contenders as there isn't any way they'd waive to go to a bottom feeder.  Considering it's a cup contending team the 1st round pick would likely be in the 26-30 range.

I look at the Iggy trade in calgary.  Virtually the return the flames got back does absolutely nothing for their rebuild.  Klimchuk is in his first year at the AHL level and looks ok, but isn't anything to be overly excited about and the two prospects are none factors. Hanowski is already out of their system in Europe and Agostino is likely long term AHLer.  The return wasn't really the benefit flames got out of moving iggy.  The main benefit was that it allowed others to step up into leadership roles, others like Gio.

So even if you multiple that offer by two and add slightly more value (maybe a couple of 3rd round picks, slightly better prospects or a 28+ year old top 6 roster spot) it's not something you build a team around.  The real benefit to moving the sedins wouldn't be the return, it wouldn't be the cap space, it would be the fact that we would be a for sure bottom feeder and be picking up top picks.

A bit of a stretch to assume that Calgary's results will be Vancouver's results if/when they move their vets.

It will be a very trying end to the season as the Canucks will lose far more games than in recent history. Does that change how the Twins view their remaining years in the NHL? My thoughts had two options; 1) The Twins come back and still hold the 1st line, maybe even for the next couple of years depending on their RW. Eventually Horvat's line pushes into the #1 spot. (2) The Twins go through a brutal spring and decide they actually want to try a final CUP effort. I prefer the later as I would love to see them get a CUP but also because it cements the Canucks move to the next generation of players.  

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

The most I'd offer Stamkos would be 10.8M per season (14.3, 14.3, 10, 10, 9, 9, 9), but that would be easily matched by Toronto.

.. So then I think you ask yourself,  what kind of Team potential does Toronto have vs Vancouver?   Yes, I saw the loss to T.O last weekend,. But personally I am moved by the excitement our youth core brings to this Team, especially next year after this season of bonding, and an extended Summer for training.

Toronto on the other hand, is building a team around Amorillo, Babcock, and Reilly, . It's a crater there,.. Everything else is expendable.  There goaltending has a shelf life.

Draft Day will be exciting, JB has stacked his positions for this.. and clearing the way to make a great UFA like Stamkos, an offer he will take time to make his decision on.   I started a thread months ago " Stamkos, Fantasy or Reality?"  ...   I'd say we're knee deep into this "reality".

Stamkos already knows he is going to sign an 80+ million dollar contract over 7-8 years. I think where he signs is contingent upon how much money he wants to actually take home, and how fast he wants to win. As mentioned many times over, Stamkos will essentially always make more money in Tampa than in Toronto because of the tax index. However, clearly Tampa will be in a better position to win for the next few seasons. Although if they do sign Stammer to a large contract I don't see them having the room to sign Hedman, Bishop, etc. So I guess it comes down to what Stammer values. 

I had a dream...

Vancouver wins the draft lottery, buys out Burrows and Higgins, and goes all in with Stamkos and Yandle.  Re sign Hamhuis.  Trade Edler for Hamonic. Trade McCann for Pouliot.  Matthews playing wing with Stammer to start his career and move him to center after the Sedins retire.  Shablaww!

Matthews Stamkos Shinkaruk

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Gaunce Sutter Etem

Dorsett

Vey

Yandle Hamonic

Hutton Tanev

Hamhuis Pouliot

Pedan

Sbisa

Biega

53 minutes ago, PlayingBurke said:

Stamkos already knows he is going to sign an 80+ million dollar contract over 7-8 years. I think where he signs is contingent upon how much money he wants to actually take home, and how fast he wants to win. As mentioned many times over, Stamkos will essentially always make more money in Tampa than in Toronto because of the tax index. However, clearly Tampa will be in a better position to win for the next few seasons. Although if they do sign Stammer to a large contract I don't see them having the room to sign Hedman, Bishop, etc. So I guess it comes down to what Stammer values. 

He may get taxed less but in TO he would get all the major sports endorsements,  He could easily rack in another 10 mill per year just on being the face of a few local big businesses.  

Archived