The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jared McCann, 2nd-round pick, 4th-round pick to Panthers for Erik Gudbranson, 5th-round pick

I like it... Hurts giving up the second rounder but look at what's been given up for young top4 d in the last couple of years in comparisons to some of those this was a bargain trade.

How on this planet is this idiot still a GM? Who makes this trade? Of all the quality dmen in Florida, he takes the almost worst. And then adds in picks?!?

In this world where every single team uses advanced stats, how can he not see Guds is a bottom pairing dman - who's making top 4 dman $$. Benning has brought in enough bottom pairing dmen, in fact that's ALL he's brought in & now it's all this team has (short of Tanev/Edler). 

A GM is supposed to come in and make a team better. He's done NOTHING but make this team exponentially worse. He's traded more picks in 1 year as a GM than GIllis did in last 5 years of tenure. He's traded more young players for older ones than any GM i've seen. He's succeeded in getting the worst asset/value ratio I've ever seen from a NHL GM. I could go on, the list is too long.

This fan base needs to pressure Aquilini to get rid of this regime, asap.

Wow everyone.  Let's stop the bitching!  

We finally have that stay at home physical Dman we have been looking for.  

The only thing I don't like too much is giving up the 2nd round pick, but you know what we probably were just gonna take a dman and who knows if they would have been anything that Gudbranson is.  So for me I have no issue with the trade and am happy it seems like we are gonna go after Dubois.

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

When this team needs a rebuild and restock our prospect pool, I'll gladly take that 5-10%.

Gudbranson brings nothing than what we already have on our current defensive core.

Really? Cause I remember a lot of whining here that we didn't have enough crease clearing defenseman. Now we do. 

2 minutes ago, Nail said:

FWIW, Florida fans had Gudbranson as their future captain so I guess we are getting a leader

The guy is a beast who can skate and rally the troops.  We need dmen like him to go up against the McDavids of the division.  McCann will be a heck of a player, but Gudbranson is worth it.  

Just now, Lui's Knob said:

Noooo not the 2nd rounder. Why do we Always dump the 2nd rounders?? We need Gudbranson but losing McCann this early hurts.

what team are we? Bubble playoff team or tank or mediocre?

Benning for whatever reason keeps dumping picks. Can we please offload players for picks for once?

dumping picks?  Gudbrandson was 3rd overall only 6 years ago.......do you seriously think there was going to be someone better than him at 33?  C'mon

all i can say is could we not have kept our 2nd this year and sent them that conditional columbus 2nd round pick instead?

I liked McCann, see a better nhl career in him than Granlund so would have rather dumped him but Benning is the guy in charge and all these moves he is making will either work out well or he will be fired in the next 3-5 years

Just now, Yotes said:

all i can say is could we not have kept our 2nd this year and sent them that conditional columbus 2nd round pick instead?

I liked McCann, see a better nhl career in him than Granlund so would have rather dumped him but Benning is the guy in charge and all these moves he is making will either work out well or he will be fired in the next 3-5 years

Yeah, this would be a lot easier to swallow if Granlund was the guy going there.

Just now, Vrbata2.0 said:

Wow everyone.  Let's stop the bitching!  

We finally have that stay at home physical Dman we have been looking for.  

The only thing I don't like too much is giving up the 2nd round pick, but you know what we probably were just gonna take a dman and who knows if they would have been anything that Gudbranson is.  So for me I have no issue with the trade and am happy it seems like we are gonna go after Dubois.

We likely have a stay at home physical defenseman in Tryamkin. With that said I am not as upset over this trade as others. We'll see how he does here. One thing seems obvious with this current crop of d-men we have, not gonna be seeing a ton of points from them.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Which other center do we have who can fill that role?  We plugged one hole and created another, all while giving away assets.

well sutter will be around at least another 4 years and horvat and we probably pick up dubois, oh yeah and we have granlund, and Gaunce and tassels and vey (not they vey is better) but all these guys, in 4 years ould be solid counterman, you cannot just get a young, huge, rugged 20 min per night right shot d man who is a great leader for free.

Archived