The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

21 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Didn't realize how efficient Samulsson was, wasn't he also a defensive stalwart? Or am I thinking someone else? 

He was a fixture in the top 6 but was also brought in to be a defensively responsible part of the top 6.  Believed he killed a lot of penalties, was out in the last minute etc.  He made a lot of hay getting power play points with the Sedins.  Baertschi is a different player (Samuelsson had a better shot, Baertschi has better hands), but I think Samuelsson is a player that Baertschi can look to and see if he can match that efficiency.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

He was a fixture in the top 6 but was also brought in to be a defensively responsible part of the top 6.  Believed he killed a lot of penalties, was out in the last minute etc.  He made a lot of hay getting power play points with the Sedins.  Baertschi is a different player (Samuelsson had a better shot, Baertschi has better hands), but I think Samuelsson is a player that Baertschi can look to and see if he can match that efficiency.

I figured he was one of the defensive guys. That's why I was so surprised to see his numbers. Definitely see shades of that in Baer. He's good defensively and good offensively. He won't be the defensive force Samuelsson was but he definitely synergizes well with Petey on the PP, as does most everyone but still. Interesting comparable there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 7:17 AM, N7Nucks said:

Didn't realize how efficient Samulsson was, wasn't he also a defensive stalwart? Or am I thinking someone else? 

Samuelsson was fantastic in his stint with the Canucks.  Wasn't the greatest skater but he always seemed to know where to be on the ice and contributed nicely on offence without being a liability.

I don’t see him being in the league too much longer. Seems his concussions have really had an affect on him and he just can’t stay healthy. I hope I’m wrong but I think one more serious injury and he might call it quits. More important things than hockey.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Green said his absence was not due to concussion I believe.

Not far into this road trip so he must have a longer term issue.

If it was a concussion issue, would Baer been put on a plane?  Likely he would have been hospitalized, no?  

3 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Samuelsson was fantastic in his stint with the Canucks.  Wasn't the greatest skater but he always seemed to know where to be on the ice and contributed nicely on offence without being a liability.

He has knew how to dress!

8 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I find the deafening silence around the Baertschi situation to be worrisome ! ( have I missed an update ? )

Could just have a flue, an infection etc. Not great but it doesn't mean the end of the world either.

Lots of secrecy surrounding Baertschi being sent back to Vancouver. If it's the flu, then say it's the flu. But it's not the flu lol

I think he got smacked during the COL game and probably felt off after that (re-concussed). Maybe they're being very hush-hush about it, as they intended to make a trade at the TDL.   

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lots of secrecy surrounding Baertschi being sent back to Vancouver. If it's the flu, then say it's the flu. But it's not the flu lol

I think he got smacked during the COL game and probably felt off after that (re-concussed). Maybe they're being very hush-hush about it, as they intended to make a trade at the TDL.   

No one will trade for Baertschi... he is damaged goods.

Either he recovers and plays for Vancouver or he doesn't play.

Canucks would have to reveal his medical details to any team who they traded to anyway.

Lets just hope he is ok.  He may need to take a year off like Crosby.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:25 PM, johngould21 said:

Green said when asked if it was concussion related, "I didn't say that", injury related, "I didn't say that". Sickness?

I got the impression from hearing Green speak about this that he might be disappointed/frustrated that Baertschi takes himself out of the lineup so easily and doesn't "play through the pain".  I got that sense from Green when Baertschi was out with the concussion for so long too.

Obviously this is just reading between the lines (and evaluating tone), but he seemed to be saying "it isn't a concussion, it isn't an injury, but Sven still wants to sit out".

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wow, what a bunch of speculative crap. Does anyone really know what is going on with him? Maybe I should start some new speculative crap. He has Ebola. I heard it from my friend's sister's inlaw's hairdresser, so it must be true.

Crap or not, their silence on the subject just exaggerates the speculation. For me, there are two logical explanations #1....he has the flu and they don't want to have it spread through the team and #2....there are concussion issues. Denied by the team, but it makes sense and is worrisome. Canucks need to address this issue !

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wow, what a bunch of speculative crap. Does anyone really know what is going on with him? Maybe I should start some new speculative crap. He has Ebola. I heard it from my friend's sister's inlaw's hairdresser, so it must be true.

Shes bald though. 

• Haha 2