The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Trades a-comin'.

Postulating they cycle in Gaunce/Grenier/maybe Shinkaruk during the season for injuries then move Vrbata at the TDL and put the most-ready of them in.

Agreed. It will be very important to start giving some of the prospects as much NHL experience as possible.

I think the team will look very different by the time TDL rolls by. JB has stated that he likes next year's draft better than this year, so I suspect we'll see several vets traded for picks at TDL. Vrbata, Bieksa, Hamhuis, are in contract years. Most think that Higgins may be on his way out as well.

Change is coming, but not much until 2016/17 season. It will be real interesting to see what JB bags at the 2016 draft.

• 1 month later...

I watched him in the AHL playoffs and I was impressed.Although, I did think management would trade him at the draft now I see no point in trading him because his market value won't be high enough and there is honestly no point.

Making a early prediction, Brendan Gaunce will be a better player than Sutter. Also, hope management haven't given up on Gaunce since they got Sutter now, I hope they don't trade Gaunce, these type of players are rare.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

I watched him in the AHL playoffs and I was impressed.Although, I did think management would trade him at the draft now I see no point in trading him because his market value won't be high enough and there is honestly no point.

Making a early prediction, Brendan Gaunce will be a better player than Sutter. Also, hope management haven't given up on Gaunce since they got Sutter now, I hope they don't trade Gaunce, these type of players are rare.

Gaunce is a winger now desi.

The only way you should trade a player you've developed who's near-NHL ready is if you're in waivers/numbers trouble or you don't think he's a good fit. That's how we got Clendening, Pedan, Vey, and to some degree Baertschi.

Amongst the many direct and clear things Benning declares about players is "He's ready to play in the NHL." He has flatly said this about Markstrom and Corrado, possibly about Baertschi, and a Province article reported the Canucks believing the same thing about Gaunce. At this point it may be a numbers game so Gaunce likely stays in the minors unless he blows the doors off at camp, but it's no issue because he's still waivers-eligible.

Good to know they believe they have an NHL-calibre guy in him ready for call-up. Of note, that hasn't been said about Jensen, so it sounds like Gaunce has passed him. Grenier hasn't had quite the same endorsement, but that he's expected to compete for a roster spot so he's likely passed Jensen as well. Dude's really got to pick it up, as Shinkaruk is coming up fast, too.

The only way you should trade a player you've developed who's near-NHL ready is if you're in waivers/numbers trouble or you don't think he's a good fit. That's how we got Clendening, Pedan, Vey, and to some degree Baertschi.

Amongst the many direct and clear things Benning declares about players is "He's ready to play in the NHL." He has flatly said this about Markstrom and Corrado, possibly about Baertschi, and a Province article reported the Canucks believing the same thing about Gaunce. At this point it may be a numbers game so Gaunce likely stays in the minors unless he blows the doors off at camp, but it's no issue because he's still waivers-eligible.

Good to know they believe they have an NHL-calibre guy in him ready for call-up. Of note, that hasn't been said about Jensen, so it sounds like Gaunce has passed him. Grenier hasn't had quite the same endorsement, but that he's expected to compete for a roster spot so he's likely passed Jensen as well. Dude's really got to pick it up, as Shinkaruk is coming up fast, too.

I have no problem if Shinkaruk and Guance spend abother season in Utica. Both came on in the later half of the season. They can build on that.

Probably a decision time on Jensen this year. A scratch on some playoff games created ?'s. Grenier is

the one I want to see have a real shot at the Canuck roster. He has all the physical attributes just a

question of whether he can translate to the NHL.

INB4 someone whines about you 'writing off' Jensen... :rolleyes:

I have no problem if Shinkaruk and Guance spend abother season in Utica.

Agreed. Unlike many others here, I believe there is more to be gained long term by allowing certain prospects to develop in the minors in different situations rather than throw them to the wolves unprepared and unprotected. They are in good hands under Green & Bombers tutelage and the Canucks don't need underdeveloped prospects on the roster simply to affirm a youth/speed/compete movement or whatever you want to call it. The team isn't nearly as undermanned as some seem to believe and I can't wait until the season begins so coach Willy can prove it.

• 4 weeks later...

Gaunce is my dark horse pick to be the next prospect to land a full time job with the big club. He made huge strides last year.

Agreed. I think he'll be playing in Van by trade deadline. He looks like one serious dude that has a fantastic motivation/determination to develop his game. He's next up to the plate, for sure.

Gaunce is my dark horse pick to be the next prospect to land a full time job with the big club. He made huge strides last year.

Hes definitely a safe pick. Probably one of the first callups for any bottom 6 injuries. He definitely is defensively reliable and plays a heavy game. Good call :)