The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 11/22/2022 at 11:39 PM, Muttley said:

Speaking of stats, and not to hijack the BoHo thread, but huge shout-out to Schenn who became the all-time NHL leader in hits by a defenceman and who currently sits 2nd in the league in this category!  That might be as impressive as any goal scoring streak statistic! 

8 hours ago, Muttley said:

Bo Horvat is in elite Canuck history now; He aint done yet either. 

Was just looking at an old 95-96 Canucks calendar. I remember being a huge nerd and logging every games stats into a word processor for the entire year. I was 11. The neighbour I watched games with had a pistol that fired blanks, thats how my Mom knew how many goals they scored. 

• Cheers 1

On 11/25/2022 at 3:58 PM, Fred65 said:

50-50 I'd say, I must say Pettersson has benefitted from the skill  Kusmenko and the speed of Mikheyev 

Bo has played with Miller basically all season and plays with hughes and Petey on the power play.  He’s been an unbelievable trigger man but how many of Bo’s goals were on chances he created himself?

A little late....I've been busy, but Monday's game saw Horvat pass some pretty prominent Canucks

11.  Don Lever LW 593 186 221 407
12.  Bo Horvat C 598 190 203 393
13.  Ryan Kesler C 655 182 211 393
14.  Brendan Morrison C 543 136 257 393
  • Like 1

I think trade talks will heat up with Horvat in January. Colorado with all there talent will want to make another few runs at a cup and Horvat is the perfect fit.Horvat 27 , 58 % on draw - should produce 25-30 G--  60--65 points regular- solid game - PP - PK

--Newhook 22- C --Olausson 19-- MacDermid 28 D man - 6'5 -233 lbs toughest guy around --2025 --3rd rounder

Talks Not Going Well: One of the more prominent pending unrestricted free agents next summer is Canucks center Bo Horvat.  However, while many expected a deal to be done back in the offseason, that hasn’t materialized and extension discussions aren’t progressing to the point where they might have to move him closer to the trade deadline.  The 27-year-old already has 20 goals this season in just 27 games which is certainly only adding to his asking price.  Of course, it looked like things were heading this way with J.T. Miller just a few months ago before they ultimately settled on an extension.  However, with their cap situation, it’s possible that Miller’s contract might also help push their captain out the door.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I think trade talks will heat up with Horvat in January. Colorado with all there talent will want to make another few runs at a cup and Horvat is the perfect fit.Horvat 27 , 58 % on draw - should produce 25-30 G--  60--65 points regular- solid game - PP - PK

--Newhook 22- C --Olausson 19-- MacDermid 28 D man - 6'5 -233 lbs toughest guy around --2025 --3rd rounder

Talks Not Going Well: One of the more prominent pending unrestricted free agents next summer is Canucks center Bo Horvat.  However, while many expected a deal to be done back in the offseason, that hasn’t materialized and extension discussions aren’t progressing to the point where they might have to move him closer to the trade deadline.  The 27-year-old already has 20 goals this season in just 27 games which is certainly only adding to his asking price.  Of course, it looked like things were heading this way with J.T. Miller just a few months ago before they ultimately settled on an extension.  However, with their cap situation, it’s possible that Miller’s contract might also help push their captain out the door.

Is that trade with Colorado a step back for us?  Or does the return keep us moving in a forward direction?

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is that trade with Colorado a step back for us?  Or does the return keep us moving in a forward direction?

Good question Alf.  I would hope that they would use Newhook in a trade for a young RD with ++++ potential.

DECEMBER 12, 2022 AT 5:44 PM CDT | BY JOSH ERICKSON LEAVE A COMMENT

While there’s been near-weekly reports about the Vancouver Canucks and Bo Horvatgrowing further apart in extension negotiations, it seems today’s update might be the nail in the coffin for Horvat’s future in British Columbia. TSN’s Pierre LeBrun added to a report from CHEK’s Rick Dhaliwal that Horvat rejected an offer from the Canucks “a couple of weeks ago,” saying the team is now entirely focused on Horvat’s trade market between now and the March 3 deadline.

Speculation will now be entirely focused on potential destinations and, more so for Canucks fans, possible return packages.

It’s a foregone conclusion that the Canucks would ask for a high-end defense prospect as the centerpiece of any Horvat trade. The 2023 NHL Draft, while stacked, is weak with defensemen, especially near the top. For the team’s most significant area of need, trading for an already-drafted defenseman will likely spark the team’s pool of young players.

Trading for Ethan Bear helped in the short-term for Vancouver, who was bleeding goals against early in the season. But it doesn’t solve the issue that Jack Rathbone, a 95th overall pick, remains the organization’s top prospect on defense.

When you think of contenders looking to add at center at the deadline, you think of the Colorado Avalanche. It does make sense that they would have an interest in Horvat when the time comes, but whether there’s a trade fit there is less certain. Considering Bowen Byram is likely untouchable, the organization doesn’t have any under-23 defensemen that would move the needle for Vancouver.

There is, however, Samuel Girard. If Vancouver remains insistent on making moves like a team with playoff aspirations, that acquisition could make some sense. He’s off to yet another disappointing start this season though, with just five points in 20 games. While it looked like a sure bet two years ago that Girard would develop into a high-end top-four defenseman, doubts are beginning to grow.

For now, it’s wait-and-see time for the Canucks. Horvat’s value is at its peak with his goal-scoring through the roof, leading to what could be a franchise-altering deadline deal.

On 11/24/2022 at 5:12 PM, Muttley said:

Losing him is going to take such a big chunk out of this team. Wonder how bad out faceoff % will be without him? The extra pressure on Petey and Miller will surely break them too.

We are basically going to lose Bo, so we somehow need to find a way to acquire a solid defensive/checking 3rd line center who can kill penalties well, but then we still really need a top-4 RD (ideally young and physical), so with Bo + other pieces combined (Myers, Garland, Boeser, Pearson) we should be trying to acquire these pieces if we want to retool.

If we want to rebuild that's much easier - just flip everyone for picks and prospects and take bad contracts on board. Retooling will be much harder, if we want to try and stay competitive after losing our best/most important all-around player, we're going to need lots of pieces and it starts with a solid 3C and top-4 RD.

Considering the teams in the hunt for Bo are Colorado (who have Girard of interest but he's an LD) and Boston (Carlo), there's surely a deal to be done to flip Bo for a top prospect/1st and a top-4 defenceman. Then we just need a 3C coming back and we can surely find one with Boeser and/or Garland.

If this organization trades Horvat I'm going to become a Flames fan.

• RoughGame 2

On 12/14/2022 at 8:19 PM, Insensitive said:

Don’t be so sensitive 

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2022 at 7:19 PM, Insensitive said:

Good , they need the love over there too lol

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Outstanding article here on Bo working with Adam Oates this year

https://theathletic.com/4029945/2022/12/26/bo-horvat-canucks-goal-scorer-adam-oates/

Drance is the writer of the article and he's saying that Horvat consulted with Adam Oates who recommended a stick change that is stiffer (70 flex and his old stick was in the high 90's) which allows him a quicker and more deceptive release.  Also a change in curve which allows better control and a change in loft which allows him to have better vision while carrying the puck.

This all adds up to a massive jump in his shot %.  He has a career 13.9% and last year a career high 16% but this year he is now up to 23.1%.  I really don't know if this is sustainable or whether this number is trending up or down.  I've argued in other posts that there must be a regression downward at some point and Drance doesn't try to argue one way or another but he has made changes and even if the long term improvement in shot % is half of what it is so far this season, on 194 shots like he had last season, a 19.5 s% would yield 38 goals.

Do you pay this player $8.5M over the long term?  I suppose that the longer they wait, the more sure they will be about the permanent effect of the changes to Horvat's game.

Edited by Crabcakes

20 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Drance is the writer of the article and he's saying that Horvat consulted with Adam Oates who recommended a stick change that is stiffer (70 flex and his old stick was in the high 90's) which allows him a quicker and more deceptive release.  Also a change in curve which allows better control and a change in loft which allows him to have better vision while carrying the puck.

This all adds up to a massive jump in his shot %.  He has a career 13.9% and last year a career high 16% but this year he is now up to 23.1%.  I really don't know if this is sustainable or whether this number is trending up or down.  I've argued in other posts that there must be a regression downward at some point and Drance doesn't try to argue one way or another but he has made changes and even if the long term improvement in shot % is half of what it is so far this season, on 194 shots like he had last season, a 19.5 s% would yield 38 goals.

Do you pay this player $8.5M over the long term?  I suppose that the longer they wait, the more sure they will be about the permanent effect of the changes to Horvat's game.

There is almost no chance a percentage over 20% is maintainable in the long term. Many of the best shooters in the league average about 15.0% (Ovechkin's career average is about 12-13%, but he shoots a ton), so that's probably a more realistic expectation for Horvat, or maybe 16% if we want to give him the benefit of a doubt and say he can match 2021-22 (Notably, Matthews averages 16.0% and McDavid's career average is 15.5%). He's currently scoring at a 60-goal pace. Corrected down to 16.0%, Bo would be scoring at a 41-goal pace. I think it's reasonable to expect that Horvat could score 35-40 goals for a few years here during his prime, but obviously, expecting 50+ for multiple years in a row is unrealistic.