The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

5 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

So glad for Sutter to get the hat trick. After such a hard tenure in Vancouver, felt he was due to have some success go his way. He has had a great start to the season. He looks very solid, if he can stay healthy, and move out Beagle and other cash I'd rather hold onto him as a fourth line C.

Agreed. At a cheaper price, Sutter is a great piece for our team. Beagle has some nice attributes, but I think I'd like to move on from him.

• Upvote 1

Sutter lucks out on his way to 94th in all-time Canuck scoring with his hat trick tonight on Matt Murray.

93.  Jake Virtanen RW 287 51 45 96
94.  Brandon Sutter C 240 49 47 96
95.  Christian Ehrhoff D 159 28 66 94
96.  Taylor Pyatt LW 224 49 44 93
  • Like 2

JB is certainly going to try and re-sign Sutter cheaply because right now who else do we have who can replace his PK and 3rd line center minutes, not to mention decent faceoff %? Gaudette is scratched every other night and nowhere near good enough. If it's not Sutter, JB will have to find a trade or UFA to fill the role. There are some options like Blake Coleman, Iafallo etc. but none are really as strong on the PK as Sutter.

If JB could somehow pull off a trade for Chris Tierny, he'd be the perfect replacement, but I don't see Ottawa trading him away. Virtanen + Chatfield for Tierny? 

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Sutter shows true grit on his way to 94th in all-time Canuck scoring with his hat trick tonight on Matt Murray. Look out Jake your next!

93.  Jake Virtanen RW 287 51 45 96
94.  Brandon Sutter C 240 49 47 96
95.  Christian Ehrhoff D 159 28 66 94
96.  Taylor Pyatt LW 224 49 44 93

Fixed

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

JB is certainly going to try and re-sign Sutter cheaply because right now who else do we have who can replace his PK and 3rd line center minutes, not to mention decent faceoff %? Gaudette is scratched every other night and nowhere near good enough. If it's not Sutter, JB will have to find a trade or UFA to fill the role. There are some options like Blake Coleman, Iafallo etc. but none are really as strong on the PK as Sutter.

If JB could somehow pull off a trade for Chris Tierny, he'd be the perfect replacement, but I don't see Ottawa trading him away. Virtanen + Chatfield for Tierny? 

They'd need a C replacement... Virtanen + Gaudette... Two younger players for one? Salary is about a wash as well.

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

They'd need a C replacement... Virtanen + Gaudette... Two younger players for one? Salary is about a wash as well.

As much as I'd love that, right now Virtanen and Gaudette's value is next to nothing - they're basically playing as 12th and 13th forwards on this team. We'd probably have to package a young defenceman or pick with them to snag a proper young center.

Tierny would be my first option (26 years old, good size, can score 40 points) but you know Ottawa would want a lot for him. I'd hope Virtanen + Chatfield would do the trick though. 

Some notable UFAs coming up next off-season who could fill the role are Iafallo, Granlund, Laughton, Wennberg or Janmark who are all in their late 20's and could be had for around 2M. None of them are really that good defensively (maybe Granlund), at faceoffs or on the PK so if Sutter's still got it I'd rather bring him back for a year while JB tries to sort out a long-term plan for our 3rd line center role because I don't think it's Gaudette.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As much as I'd love that, right now Virtanen and Gaudette's value is next to nothing - they're basically playing as 12th and 13th forwards on this team. We'd probably have to package a young defenceman or pick with them to snag a proper young center.

Tierny would be my first option (26 years old, good size, can score 40 points) but you know Ottawa would want a lot for him. I'd hope Virtanen + Chatfield would do the trick though. 

Some notable UFAs coming up next off-season who could fill the role are Iafallo, Granlund, Laughton, Wennberg or Janmark who are all in their late 20's and could be had for around 2M. None of them are really that good defensively (maybe Granlund), at faceoffs or on the PK so if Sutter's still got it I'd rather bring him back for a year while JB tries to sort out a long-term plan for our 3rd line center role because I don't think it's Gaudette.

I'd love Jenner as an option too. For the record.

Doubt Virtanen + Chatfield has more value than Virtanen + Gaudette. Don't get me wrong, I like Chatfield, even signed him in fantasy... But he's got a 5-8 D ceiling. Gaudette has at least shown he can produce (while sheltered) at a solid third/borderline second line rate.

But yeah, don't see Gaudette as our 3C during our contention window. Winger conversion maybe.

But yes, if not a trade for Tierney, Jenner etc, re-signing Sutter at +/- $1.5m and trading away some of our extraneous pieces is another option.  Don't really see those UFA's as options (no PK, faceoffs etc as you pointed out).

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever Sutter is the highest mover up the all-time Canuck scoring list it's kinda like kissing your cousin.  Not as exciting as someone else, but you know there's probably a few people that are intrigued.  Sutter into 91st with his goal tonight.

90.  Per-Olov Brasar LW 181 37 63 100
91.  Brandon Sutter C 254 51 47 98
92.  Gino Odjick LW 444 46 52 98
93.  Lars Molin LW 172 33 65 98
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

I wouldn’t mind extending him 2@2,9 max. Sutter is a keeper at the right pricetag.

I'd also be interested in seeing what Benning can get for him at the trade deadline as a rental.  Sutter would fit in well with any team looking to go on a long playoff run.

4 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

I'd also be interested in seeing what Benning can get for him at the trade deadline as a rental.  Sutter would fit in well with any team looking to go on a long playoff run.

As soon as next year we will be that team, so lock him up 2 more years at a good price. 

On 1/24/2021 at 4:12 PM, Toyotasfan said:

You could put him on waivers and there would be no takers . 

Not at his salary, no. I think we can all agree he is overpaid. But as aGent said, if we were to retain 50%, I think Sutter is a solid 3rd line center to a team at just over 2m.

• Cheers 1

On 2/22/2021 at 1:50 PM, kloubek said:

Not at his salary, no. I think we can all agree he is overpaid. But as aGent said, if we were to retain 50%, I think Sutter is a solid 3rd line center to a team at just over 2m.

I think his ideal role is really on a contender.

Should be an elite veteran 4th line center similar to what Jay Beagle was for Washington 4 years ago.

If he is getting 2.75 a year to play 4th line center he would be attractive to playoff teams.

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:
Sutter when asked about potential trade rumours

Certainly not opposed to just resigning him instead of acquiring the picks.

I know people generally don't like him, but when he stays healthy, he is very effective. I rather keep him over Beagle to be honest, as I've made that known several times in this thread. I don't think this group can afford to lose another leader like Sutter, he seems to be a very popular guy in the room and is a leader on this team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Certainly not opposed to just resigning him instead of acquiring the picks.

I know people generally don't like him, but when he stays healthy, he is very effective. I rather keep him over Beagle to be honest, as I've made that known several times in this thread. I don't think this group can afford to lose another leader like Sutter, he seems to be a very popular guy in the room and is a leader on this team.

I believe both Sutter and Beagle bring valuable leadership, but Sutter brings a lot more to the game in terms of his actual play. He's a strong defensive player and also has some offensive potential, where Beagle is all defense and not much else. Sutter is also 3.5 years younger than Beagle.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1