The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

On 2/28/2021 at 6:30 PM, -AJ- said:

I believe both Sutter and Beagle bring valuable leadership, but Sutter brings a lot more to the game in terms of his actual play. He's a strong defensive player and also has some offensive potential, where Beagle is all defense and not much else. Sutter is also 3.5 years younger than Beagle.

Imo, most of his value is off the ice and for most of his contract he is either injured or ineffective except for this contract year.  Perhaps offer him a coaching gig (like Burrows in the minors first) instead, otherwise, he can walk and take his leadership somewhere else.

I'd tend to think Sutter may not attract a lot of attention come the summer, so if he's willing to come back for a year by year contract at $1+ then I'd resign him, any thing more then he's gone. I'm hoping that come the trade deadline he might be moved to a team as insurance and an attempt to show he's not over the hill. Do I trust management will get a good return for him, nope. Push for a 2nd round pick, make a market for him

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:30 PM, -AJ- said:

I believe both Sutter and Beagle bring valuable leadership, but Sutter brings a lot more to the game in terms of his actual play. He's a strong defensive player and also has some offensive potential, where Beagle is all defense and not much else. Sutter is also 3.5 years younger than Beagle.

This is what Sutter can bring he has the ability to shut down and bring offense, A pros pro

McJesus while staring at the ref hooks Sutters arm in a pathetic dive to try drawing a penalty on Sutter.

spacer.png

Edited by Mackcanuck

Hmmm  just a thought. I think there is a Sutter to leafs trade in the works. We cant keep him and the Leafs could really use his skills. Great 3line C , very nice FO #'s , great on PK and can score a goal or 2. Exactly what the leafs need. this be why Benning is actually sniping leafs players off waivers? Not sure i can remember the last time there was a waiver wire pickup let alone 2 from the same team.

Edited by Dannydog
spelling

38 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Hmmm  just a thought. I think there is a Sutter to leafs trade in the works. We cant keep him and the Leafs could really use his skills. Great 3line C , very nice FO #'s , great on PK and can score a goal or 2. Exactly what the leafs need. this be why Benning is actually sniping leafs players off waivers? Not sure i can remember the last time there was a waiver wire pickup let alone 2 from the same team.

I could see them being interested in former Petey teammate Hallander or Robertson.

Both fit Bennings MO and could be another Motte like acquisition.

Pittsburgh is in win now-mode (as has been the case for the past 10 years). If we can make the $ work, wonder if they would like to add Sutter as a depth C with PK and FO skills that play a vital role on the road to the cup...

The Oilers know exactly what they are looking for

TSN: Frank Seravalli when asked what the Edmonton Oiler top priority is ahead of the NHL trade deadline.

“Well James, it might not be splashy but I think the Edmonton Oilers have their eye on a very specific piece at a very specific price. That’s a right shot centre who can take faceoffs, and win them on the penalty kill where they’ve struggled this year, just 42 per cent shorthanded that can help their kill. So who fits that bill? Well how about Luke Glendening who’s not coming back to the Detroit Red Wings. He’s the guy that leads the league in faceoff percentage this season, can also kill penalties and has a cheap cap hit.

There’s two other guys that don’t require a seven-day quarantine and that would be Vancouver’s Brandon Sutter and Calgary’s Derek Ryan, although they have higher caps hits, more cap gymnastics there. And the price? Well the Oilers have traded their second, third and fifth-round picks so they’d like to do all that for a fourth-round pick if they can. We’ll see what kind of magic Ken Holland has up his sleeve.”

I doubt that Jim would be willing to send Sutter to EDM for a fourth round pick.

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

TSN: Frank Seravalli when asked what the Edmonton Oiler top priority is ahead of the NHL trade deadline.

“Well James, it might not be splashy but I think the Edmonton Oilers have their eye on a very specific piece at a very specific price. That’s a right shot centre who can take faceoffs, and win them on the penalty kill where they’ve struggled this year, just 42 per cent shorthanded that can help their kill. So who fits that bill? Well how about Luke Glendening who’s not coming back to the Detroit Red Wings. He’s the guy that leads the league in faceoff percentage this season, can also kill penalties and has a cheap cap hit.

There’s two other guys that don’t require a seven-day quarantine and that would be Vancouver’s Brandon Sutter and Calgary’s Derek Ryan, although they have higher caps hits, more cap gymnastics there. And the price? Well the Oilers have traded their second, third and fifth-round picks so they’d like to do all that for a fourth-round pick if they can. We’ll see what kind of magic Ken Holland has up his sleeve.”

I doubt that Jim would be willing to send Sutter to EDM for a fourth round pick.

Well an astute man would turn his attention to 2022 I'm sure they have more choices then

Edited by Fred65

Sutter under 2M x2 could be a really good deal.

and Vesey for 1.2M max on a show me year.

my bottom 6  for the next year would be :

Vesey Sutter Virtanen.

Motte Beagle Gaudette

its a strange season, dont take decision (just as give up on certain player)  based on it.

On 3/16/2021 at 6:18 AM, kingofsurrey said:

With his assist tonight...  he doubled his season total to now 2 assists......

Wow reading this made me look back at the early posts of this thread and then I saw this

On 6/2/2016 at 5:30 AM, Boddy604 said:

Sutter put up 40 points on Pittsburgh's 3rd line playing a shutdown role. 40 points should be the expectation out of him. And their 3rd line wasn't very good. Personally I won't be surprised to see him crack 50, especially if the Canucks get him a top 6 winger out of free agency. In all honesty Sutter just never has played with top 6 guys, he's proven he can match up against the league's best in a shutdown role and do very well. Next season we'll finally see if he can produce the offence to match with (hopefully) higher quality linemates than he's ever had before.

Safe to say he under achieved in an epic way 

On 3/26/2021 at 7:07 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

why would he do them that big a favour? 

2022 2nd or go for coffee. 

14 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Wow reading this made me look back at the early posts of this thread and then I saw this

Safe to say he under achieved in an epic way 

Numerous injuries will have that effect on pro athletes; especially hockey players.

14 minutes ago, Rabid Rooster said:

And will only get worse

Probably, but he will likely be traded at TD and then he will probably get signed for half his salary for next season.

I recall Sutts was very good in the bubble playoffs.  He still has value as a 3C for now.