The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

2 hours ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Ugh,Benning talking to Sutter and Hamonic about staying.

I'm ok with Sutter staying on a cheap contract. No, he never became the player we hoped and no, he isn't even the same player from a few years ago, but he is a good(ish) leader and is strong defensively.

Hamonic too. No, he isn't ideal - but if he comes cheap(ish), he can still contribute. I'd like to see 1 offensive and one defensive player each pairing if possible, and if Nate really is about to get traded there IS room for him.

2 hours ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Ugh,Benning talking to Sutter and Hamonic about staying.

I'm fine with Sutter, but if we still have Beagle, then he seems a bit superfluous with the acquisition of Dickinson. Ideally, I'd like Dickinson and Sutter to play 3C/4C (okay with either player in either role) and Beagle moved on from, but Beagle still has another year on his contract.

I'm hoping we re-sign Hamonic. He's not as good as Tanev, but is a good reliable guy to play with Hughes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If you remove the one injury-riddled 26 game season where he only scored 4 goals, Sutter's goals per game average is exactly the same as a Canuck as it is over his entire career (16 goals per 82 games). He was certainly overpaid for what he brought and had a lot of injuries but in terms of his actual play he wasn't really any worse than we could have expected and all things considered had a decent run in Vancouver. 

• Cheers 1

Sounds like JB wants him re-signed and that's the right move, provided it's really cheap. He also sounded like Beagle is coming back which I'd be surprised by based on injuries. If that's the case, we have a pretty sturdy defensive-minded bottom 6, could certainly use a bit more size though. This 4th line isn't scoring many goals though.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Podz - Dickinson - Motte

Sutter - Beagle - MacEwan

Highmore

Graovac

No need for Boyd or Vesey then! If we get another top-9 forward, great, if not that's a pretty decent unit to start the season.

• Cheers 1

So now Sutter and Hamonic make sense. 
1,5 Sutter

2,5 Hamonic

Miller Petey Boeser

Garland Horvat Hoglander

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin 

Motte Sutter McEwen

Lockwood

OEL Schmidt
Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

Juolevi

Demko

Holtby

Don’t see this roster fit under the cap tho.

By priority we need to get ride of Holtby, unload Virtanen then Schmidt if needed.

its 12M here, again.

44 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

So now Sutter and Hamonic make sense. 
1,5 Sutter

2,5 Hamonic

Miller Petey Boeser

Garland Horvat Hoglander

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin 

Motte Sutter McEwen

Lockwood

OEL Schmidt
Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

Juolevi

Demko

Holtby

Don’t see this roster fit under the cap tho.

By priority we need to get ride of Holtby, unload Virtanen then Schmidt if needed.

its 12M here, again.

What'd you do with Highmore??

It's time for Brandon Sutter to reclaim his no. 21.  That would be a good next step in eradicating the bad memory of Eriksson. 

Great signing...$1.125M for Sutter may well present itself as one of the best value contracts in the NHL.  Great on face-offs, awesome PKer, and can be an effective shut-down player.  All we can hope for now is that Sutter is at full health so he can be the player he was in Carolina and Pittsburgh.