The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Not disagreeing. But they're not likely going to sign him for less than $5.5-$6.5 (with NTC) IMO.

All depends on the term and terms. One year term or even two year term and you are probably right. Longer term, especially with NTC, I don't think they would commit that much money/cap and I am reasonably sure they would not need to, as  he would almost certainly accept less for longer term and a full NTC.

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

All depends on the term and terms. One year term or even two year term and you are probably right. Longer term, especially with NTC, I don't think they would commit that much money/cap and I am reasonably sure they would not need to, as  he would almost certainly accept less for longer term and a full NTC.

Only way you're likely getting him at/below $5m is a 5+ year deal.

I'd rather not go beyond 3...maybe 4 at the absolute MAX.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Only way you're likely getting him at/below $5m is a 5+ year deal.

I'd rather not go beyond 3...maybe 4 at the absolute MAX.

5 years would be a stretch IMO as he is turning 33 near this seasons end. I could see  4yrs @ 4mil or 3 yrs @ 5 mil but cap issues may dictate that JB does something totally different. I would like to see any contract that he may get not have a NTC or NMC unless it is a modified one with options should his play regress over the next few years

13 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

5 years would be a stretch IMO as he is turning 33 near this seasons end. I could see  4yrs @ 4mil or 3 yrs @ 5 mil but cap issues may dictate that JB does something totally different. I would like to see any contract that he may get not have a NTC or NMC unless it is a modified one with options should his play regress over the next few years

No way we can get a 50+ point, minute-munching, shot-blocking master defenseman for $4m. Eddie's floor is $5m and is probably more in the ballpark of $6m, depending on the other terms of the contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

This:

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

No way we can get a 50+ point, minute-munching, shot-blocking master defenseman for $4m. Eddie's floor is $5m and is probably more in the ballpark of $6m, depending on the other terms of the contract.

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The money isn't as big a deal as the term and the conditions of movement. A full NTC has to be out of the question. The Canucks have to have an option of moving Edler at the end of any contract. They have to be able to get some value. Removing the NTC in his final year of contract should not be a problem for Edler. He will always have the option of retiring which he has brought up before. Many argue that Edler has a strong negotiating position but I suggest not. Canucks are 3 years away from serious CUP contention so there is a place for Edler until then. He might be a 2nd pair d-man on a CUP contender now but in 3 years he will likely be 3rd pairing. I have no problem in keeping Edler for at least 2 years but want an option to monetize his worth some how. 

IMO the Canucks have to be more hardcore about the vision of serious CUP contention. Benning seems to have that but his conversion of vet experience into future growth has been so so. No player should supercede the goal of a CUP, no matter their tenure or character. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Just a question, If Edler retires a Canuck, would he be in the Ring of Honor or Jersey in the rafters?

If he's a key cog in winning a cup with the new core in the next few years you could make the argument...

Otherwise I'd say ROH.

• Upvote 1

On January 4, 2019 at 11:33 AM, aGENT said:

A 2 year deal would be ideal with the ED coming. Saves us a protection slot. Happy to give him full NTC first year, partial the 2nd and $6m+ for the courtesy. We have zero cap concerns those 2 years anyway.

After that we can certainly look at additional 1-2 year contracts as he trends down the depth chart.

On January 4, 2019 at 11:52 AM, D-Money said:

Thing is, Edler has all the leverage. With the year he had this year and last, he could easily command 4+ years on the open market.

If he's willing to consider a 2-year deal, I'd flirt with giving him big bucks ($7.5M?) and a full NTC both years. Then he knows he gets to stay for the 2 years, and get more than he'd get on a longer term deal, then re-evaluate after the expansion draft. It's a lot of money, but that's the sort of money it will probably take for him to accept such a short term.

Best case scenario:

1. Edler signs a 2 year, $7.5M per season deal, with a full NTC, $1M in salary and $6.5M in signing bonuses in case of a lockout

2. Expansion draft, no need to protect Edler as he is not under contract

3. Post-expansion draft, Edler signs a 2 year, $5M per season deal, full NTC in the first year and partial NTC in the second year

Over the four years: 

1. Edler makes $25M, so an average cap hit of $6.25M/season over the two contracts

2. Edler is guaranteed $6.5M even in a lockout year 

3. Edler is guaranteed to stay in Vancouver for at least 3 of those years

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, smokes said:

Just a question, If Edler retires a Canuck, would he be in the Ring of Honor or Jersey in the rafters?

Right now he's ROH. The rafters might come if he somehow plays 1000 games in a Canuck uniform and continues to be as good as he is now for another 3 or 4 years.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Maybe, juuuust maybe, he didn't want to talk to you, Jeffrey.

Dhaliwal made the same comment a few weeks ago - re no guarantee that you'll win and he doesn't want to disrupt his family.

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Dhaliwal made the same comment a few weeks ago - re no guarantee that you'll win and he doesn't want to disrupt his family.

I hear you, and I believe that Edler wants to stay. He's having an amazing season.

I can just see Patterson rubbing some players the wrong way.

• Cheers 1