The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

The thing about these disturbers like Leipsic and Roussel, is they get other players involved.  I can see Guddy getting more involved physically this season.  It’s going to be a lot of fun to watch!  

I'd be careful about mentioning those two in the same sentence. 

Guddy doesn't need to get more physical, he was physical enough... It's going to be a delicate impulse control for him this season, he's gotta stop smashing his hands on helmets and glass.

Just my opinion, I like your posts a lot Alf. 

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Hoping a healthy Guddy is willing to drop the gloves a bit more this year...

Thinking Roussel  is also agreeing with me.....

We saw how DD faired when no one else stepped up.....

More Team toughness is needed....

See, I completely disagree. You may pine for the days of Domi, Brashear and such, but it's a new league. Guddy needs to fight less and find other ways to be a deterrent. We need him healthy. We need his stick and his wits.

EDIT: I reacted to your first line, not the next 3.

Edited by Western Red

4 minutes ago, Western Red said:

See, I completely disagree. You may pine for the days of Domi, Brashear and such, but it's a new league. Guddy needs to fight less and find other ways to be a deterrent. We need him healthy. We need his stick and his wits.

Canucks need a tough punishing Guddy.  Guddy needs to be intimidating and helping hold the opponents responsible for running our kids up front.

IF not Guddy who else on the roster can do this role...

Guddy needs to be our version.. of a  Canuck Chara....

Guddy is not Tanev and should not be expected to play the same game......

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Western Red said:

Yeah, the NHL has changes since the 1990's and the enforcers are mostly gone from the game. 

There is still a tough element to the team and (as we have all witnessed in recent years), soft teams get pushed around; especially during important games.  Guddy doesn't have to fight all that much; mostly due to his reputation.  His presence on the ice dictates a calmer head for any opposition player thinking about running a Canuck. 

He is very good at clearing the goalmouth and preventing the opposition from interfering with the goalie (see Luongo).

Apparently he is a great leader in the locker room as well.

I will be very happy to see a healthy Guddy doing those 3 things all season long.

• Upvote 3

Guddy brings something valuable to this team that we have little of on the blue line, but I do think he needs to add more to stay on this team long-term (in the years down the road. I think he very likely has a spot already coming out of camp this year).

In an odd way, Brendan Gaunce is a similar case. The defense Gaunce provides is wonderful, but he has so far proven too one-dimensional to last on any team other than a bottom feeder. If the Canucks have any noteworthy improvement in their bottom six this year, Gaunce is likely an odd man out.

Gudbranson is a similar case to me. The physical side he provides is very valuable, but he needs to add to that to remain on the team long-term. Whether it's offense (very unlikely) or defense (more likely) he needs to be more than just a physical presence in my opinion.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Hoping a healthy Guddy is willing to drop the gloves a bit more this year...

Thinking Roussel  is also agreeing with me.....

We saw how DD faired when no one else stepped up.....

More Team toughness is needed....

I don't watch enough games from around the league until playoffs... is fighting still part of the game for most teams? I mean team toughness is what I'd like to see obviously, but is there still a bunch of fighting going on?

like one every few games or what?

14 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

I don't watch enough games from around the league until playoffs... is fighting still part of the game for most teams? I mean team toughness is what I'd like to see obviously, but is there still a bunch of fighting going on?

like one every few games or what?

Fighting seems down in general which is fine with me (I think the staged fights were stupid anyways).   That being said, IMO if Guddy brings his nasty side and has to drop the gloves because of it I hope it's an ass woopin :)

I honestly think fighting should be heat-of-the-moment affairs.  I just want to see the Canucks throw hits that hurt the other team.  Eddy, Gudbranson and Virt can do that.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Guddy brings something valuable to this team that we have little of on the blue line, but I do think he needs to add more to stay on this team long-term (in the years down the road. I think he very likely has a spot already coming out of camp this year).

In an odd way, Brendan Gaunce is a similar case. The defense Gaunce provides is wonderful, but he has so far proven too one-dimensional to last on any team other than a bottom feeder. If the Canucks have any noteworthy improvement in their bottom six this year, Gaunce is likely an odd man out.

Gudbranson is a similar case to me. The physical side he provides is very valuable, but he needs to add to that to remain on the team long-term. Whether it's offense (very unlikely) or defense (more likely) he needs to be more than just a physical presence in my opinion.

AJ, your points are well taken. I agree that both Guddy and Gaunce are under pressure. That said there are no untouchables on the roster. Each season all the players have to re-establish their cred. Many we expect to not only do that but improve their positioning as they mature. 

IMHO Benning has been doing a good job of adding the elements to the roster that can eventually gell into a CUP contender. How Guddy and Gaunce fit into that mix and how they can help other players be better from what they offer is the ongoing development question. The same can be questioned in reverse. Will other players compliment Guddy and Gaunce's game. What I like about these two is their size and defensive capabilities.Not to worried about a lot of offence. They have to be shutdown players. When the team is up on the scoreboard they have to be able to take the game home for a win. Gaunce is out on the plant further of the two. I am excited to see how Beagle can influence his game. 

On 8/19/2018 at 8:09 AM, Boudrias said:

AJ, your points are well taken. I agree that both Guddy and Gaunce are under pressure. That said there are no untouchables on the roster. Each season all the players have to re-establish their cred. Many we expect to not only do that but improve their positioning as they mature. 

IMHO Benning has been doing a good job of adding the elements to the roster that can eventually gell into a CUP contender. How Guddy and Gaunce fit into that mix and how they can help other players be better from what they offer is the ongoing development question. The same can be questioned in reverse. Will other players compliment Guddy and Gaunce's game. What I like about these two is their size and defensive capabilities.Not to worried about a lot of offence. They have to be shutdown players. When the team is up on the scoreboard they have to be able to take the game home for a win. Gaunce is out on the plant further of the two. I am excited to see how Beagle can influence his game. 

There is only one way Gudbranmuffin doesn't make the team this season, it's if he gets injured.

Gudbranmuffin: The FIBER of the team. He can't be digested by the other team, regulating the Canucks defence while keeping the opposing team in check. Although most canucks can be digested no problem, Gudbranmuffin passes through the defensive zone undigested.

image.png.82f13c99340b2679bccd0dba74c10141.png

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

The only ones I find decent commentary from are Cory Hergott and Jannik Beichler and Vanessa Jang.

Thanks. I'll have to write those down so that if I'm bored, I know who might be at least a palatable read.