The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

22 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Very good points. I've been thinking/seeing the same out of Hutton. I hope his PPG recovers. But even for the very visable gaffes he's made this season he's still one of the only plus players the Canucks have on their roster this year. Like you said he's up there with Tanev, and that says something to me. He's still young and if he keeps on rounding out his defensive game to the point where he's comfortable then his offence will start to follow. I still think he can be a 3/4 puck moving/PP d-man who pots 20-30 pts in a year, all signs point to him becoming something close to that in a few years time...in my own opinion lol (which means nothing to most).

To further my thoughts on Hutton. To some extent his ppg production, when he broke in, probably raised unwarranted expectations. Every NHL player lives with the reality that they will eventually be replaced. Hutton is no different and while he has played as a 2nd pairing d-man the prospect pool is developing and he could lose that spot. I consider your projection of 20-30 point producer, as a 2nd pairing, on a CUP contender a necessity. 

As Hutton develops his game I reflect on how he fits 3 years down the timeline. If he solidifies his d-side game I think there is a role for him. Contrast his prospects with Stecher. Again, with the caveat that it is his 2nd season, I consider Stecher's game far more open to risk. He has to gamble more to create his offence. While his skating and puck handling is above average he always runs the risk of being overwhelmed in the d-zone. In both cases these d-men are evolving without the experience of playoff games. As always we know that regular season is not even close to what playoffs present. Playoffs are incredibly more physical and attrition is the name of the game. We can see that Tanev's game does not lend itself to surviving playoff hockey IMHO. Fans should go down the list of players and prospects and evaluate their futures based on Playoff hockey more than regular season play. IMO regular season play is simply a development process for playoff success.  

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

To further my thoughts on Hutton. To some extent his ppg production, when he broke in, probably raised unwarranted expectations. Every NHL player lives with the reality that they will eventually be replaced. Hutton is no different and while he has played as a 2nd pairing d-man the prospect pool is developing and he could lose that spot. I consider your projection of 20-30 point producer, as a 2nd pairing, on a CUP contender a necessity. 

As Hutton develops his game I reflect on how he fits 3 years down the timeline. If he solidifies his d-side game I think there is a role for him. Contrast his prospects with Stecher. Again, with the caveat that it is his 2nd season, I consider Stecher's game far more open to risk. He has to gamble more to create his offence. While his skating and puck handling is above average he always runs the risk of being overwhelmed in the d-zone. In both cases these d-men are evolving without the experience of playoff games. As always we know that regular season is not even close to what playoffs present. Playoffs are incredibly more physical and attrition is the name of the game. We can see that Tanev's game does not lend itself to surviving playoff hockey IMHO. Fans should go down the list of players and prospects and evaluate their futures based on Playoff hockey more than regular season play. IMO regular season play is simply a development process for playoff success.  

I agree, his first season is what most people are expecting from him. But same as Stetcher, the reality sets in and teams catch onto the players style of play and learn how to eliminate them as a threat. That's why sophmore slumps are a real thing for a lot of players, with the exception of higher end guys like Matthews or McDavid. So I usually take a back seat approch to watching players develop. They tease in their first year, but I always keep my expectations lower just in case. Stetcher and Hutton are still growing, who really knows where they end up. Stetcher in particular this year hasn't looked that great. A lot of bad passes, and man does he need to work on his shot. There is no power to it whatsoever. 

Playoffs, another good point. You really don't know what kind of player you have till they are battle tested in playoffs. Many players have had great regular seasons only to dry up and dissapear completely in the post season. That's also why I think our team going forward in the future is going to be good come the post season. Virtanen whether he levels off as a third line RW/LW, is value added. Plays gritty and I think can still be effective during playoffs. And he's the tip of the ice berg from Bennings drafting plan. He is bringing in players with IMO the right amount of skill and grit to play in the post season. I am worried about Pettersson but he's so skilled I think he can make it when surrounded by the right cast of players.

In any case, it's fun to watch the re-tool/build...or whatever. I haven't seen great young talent like this coming through our system in a very long time! And as always i'll never stop hoping for that cup! Benning may not be around long enough to see how good he's set our team up, as is the case with a lot of GM's. Hopefully management gets his contract locked down and we can keep the prospect pool flowing. If we keep drafting gems through the years as Benning seems to be able to do imagine our tradeable asset base. You'll have your main NHL roster, but with tons of skilled kids from the farm team knocking on the door repeatedly, you'll then eventually have to purge a few players to allow room for more growth as there will most likely be other good young players from the junior leagues trying to turn pro right behind the farm team kids. The quality of our trades will go up since Benning has players worth real value to trade with. All in all it's a good thing to have so many good prospects. In a way it's currency. And with Benning and his scouting record our currency should be worth a lot more in the near future...IMO.

Cheers!

• Upvote 2

I still like Hutton and think he will evolve into a player. Sitting a few games will not, hopefully, destroy his confidence. 

Season game plan: Acquistion-Development-Evaluation

D-core strategy/evaluation:

1) Moving a vet at the TDL. Options: Gudbranson, MDZ, Edler, Tanev

Tanev or Edler: have the most value of the options. I still opt for moving Tanev as his value is likely at max for his career. 

Gudbranson: moves to the top of the trade list if he has not been re-signed. Unlike many I like his game. Opposing teams do not like his physicality and will alter their games to avoid it. Decent skater. Moves bodies when required. 

MDZ: weakest link in the group and a player I would move. Nice skater but the game is to fast for him. His d-zone coverages break down faster than most. WOuld love a 2nd for him but I doubt that is offered. 

2) Development: Stecher, Hutton, Pouliot: No hurry to make decisions on these 3. They are all young enough to invest TOI to see where they go. While I think Holm will get a opportunity before the year is out I do not see any other prospect pushing for a Canuck spot. Would have loved to see McEneny get some games this year. Does Joulevi push for a spot next year? Odds are against but not the end of the world if he spends time in Utica next fall.  

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Hutton moved into 144th in all time Canuck scoring with his pair of assists tonight.

143.  Marc Crawford LW 176 19 31 50
144.  Ben Hutton D 183 6 44 50
145.  Brandon Sutter C 123 24 25 49
146.  Dan Hodgson C 74 16 33 49
147.  Jason Garrison D 128 15 34 49
148.  Brent Ashton C 124 23 25 48
149.  Bill Muckalt RW 106 20 28 48
150.  Tom Fergus C 80 19 29 48
151.  Manny Malhotra C 159 18 30 48

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Would love to see more of this 

htton-close-up.gif?w=565&h=309

hutton-from-back-of-net.gif?w=593&h=324

He played a great game tonight and showed aspects we haven't seen from him - hitting, a good fight, kept his game simple etc. He's a big kid who can skate, and move the puck. While he's regressed offensively, way to early to give up on him. Sitting out clearly woke him up a bit, hopefully he brings this balanced play every night and gets back on the path he was on.

I think alot of our young guys have become complacent because of the injuries and feel safe in their spots. Green sitting guys out wakes these kids up and makes them realize, no you aren't 10 yr vets. Jake and Goldy seem to have become complacent as well.

Loved his game tonight, hopefully it continues

• Upvote 3

I've crapped over Hutts all season long, but tonight was probably by far his best.  Actively engaged, physical, smart reads, simple smart plays with the puck.  This is the Hutton I want to see.  I can live with the fact he has digressed offensively, but he has to make it up in other areas.  He showed he can use those elements.  Now show me on a game to game basis.  He may work himself back into being trusted again.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

My own quote directly from the other Hutton Proposal thread going on right now.  He's shown much greater motivation recently after his benching indicating he's getting the message so.....

Part of me says if you get a decent offer - take it and run.  Could say the same for about 10 or 12 other Canucks on the roster right now sadly. 

The other part of me says Hutton is only 24yo, has had less than half a season of Green/Bomber tutelage under his belt, is on a decent contract, demonstrated offensive abilities at all levels he's played at (including the NHL), and has shown vastly improved motivation after being benched. 

Give him time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If the Ben Hutton that played against the Caps last night is the Ben Hutton going forward, Benning should keep him

One hit and you flipped back onto the Hutton train! Green has been on him to amp up his physical play for some time. Maybe sitting out has got his attention. It has to be kinda embarassing sitting on the bench while Stecher is actually hitting players. I am still confident that Hutton will be with the Canucks and will be playing a stronger game by year end.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

One hit and you flipped back onto the Hutton train! Green has been on him to amp up his physical play for some time. Maybe sitting out has got his attention. It has to be kinda embarassing sitting on the bench while Stecher is actually hitting players. I am still confident that Hutton will be with the Canucks and will be playing a stronger game by year end.  

Hutton improved his game. Took the benching seriously. And it looks like Orpik felt the heat from the Hutton train. BOOM!

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hutton improved his game. Took the benching seriously. And it looks like Orpik felt the heat from the Hutton train. BOOM!

Little doubt in my mind that Hutton's biggest challenge in the last year has been his weight gain and how best to use it in his game. At 210 pounds he has a comfortable weight to withstand the board battles that he was losing as little as a year ago. Where previously he was 'fishing' pucks out of scrums he is now physically battling and also able to box out opposing players. This is all a big change for him. The physical play slows down his transition game and this leads to some indecision on breakout passing. IMHO he will get better at it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1