The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Last thing I want to see is Joulevi back in Euroland. They let Jensen go because he was 'to good' for the OHL. IMHO he likely sank his career. Keep him in London playing for one of the best orgs in the CHL. NHL size ice with quality coaching.

What I have read about the KHL is not that positive. Very little contact and predominantly offensive in nature. That is not the NHL, not even close. Larsson was a KHL All-Star. By the way travel in the KHL is brutal.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Last thing I want to see is Joulevi back in Euroland. They let Jensen go because he was 'to good' for the OHL. IMHO he likely sank his career. Keep him in London playing for one of the best orgs in the CHL. NHL size ice with quality coaching.

What I have read about the KHL is not that positive. Very little contact and predominantly offensive in nature. That is not the NHL, not even close. Larsson was a KHL All-Star. By the way travel in the KHL is brutal.

It would just be one year and the whole point is for him to work on what he doesn't have. He's already gained what everything the OHL has to offer, why not let him learn the game for a year elsewhere? It's not like he isn't used to playing in NHL size. 

I hate the Larsen comparison. The dude is 26 and always had issues defensively. That's like saying Tom Sestito was an OHL allstar and that takes away the credibility of the OHL. OJ doesn't have problems learning the defensive game, and he's young with more time to improve especially after making the jump to the AHL the year after.

8 minutes ago, suitup said:

It would just be one year and the whole point is for him to work on what he doesn't have. He's already gained what everything the OHL has to offer, why not let him learn the game for a year elsewhere? It's not like he isn't used to playing in NHL size. 

I hate the Larsen comparison. The dude is 26 and always had issues defensively. That's like saying Tom Sestito was an OHL allstar and that takes away the credibility of the OHL. OJ doesn't have problems learning the defensive game, and he's young with more time to improve especially after making the jump to the AHL the year after.

To clarify my point about Larsson was his apparent difficulty transitioning from KHL play to the NHL. I was not comparing Joulevi to him. Joulevi will be a young 19 year old next year. It will be his 3rd OHL season. To date he has played about 100 games in the OHL. I don't consider that a lot of experience. I prefer he plays in NA under closer observation by the Canucks. He regularly plays with and against players he will see at the NHL level.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

To clarify my point about Larsson was his apparent difficulty transitioning from KHL play to the NHL. I was not comparing Joulevi to him. Joulevi will be a young 19 year old next year. It will be his 3rd OHL season. To date he has played about 100 games in the OHL. I don't consider that a lot of experience. I prefer he plays in NA under closer observation by the Canucks. He regularly plays with and against players he will see at the NHL level.

Fair enough, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see him play another season for the Knights.

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't think so.  He's not on loan in the CHL from Europe.  It's either London or Vancouver next season.

Alf would be correct yes. 

I think Juo gets his 9 games and we'll see how he does in them.

Edited by Odd.

Oli will get 9 games then back to Jr.

this is a massive draft got JB and co. Unfortunately it's weak but he will have a high 1st and likely two 2nds. He needs to surround Bo with a core that can become a contender.

JB needs to face reality - he will lose one of Hansen, Beartsvhi, Granlund in the expansion draft and he will look stupid. Sbisa has being ok overall and has worked his way out of whipping boy status, but don't be fooled, he is not a top 4 on a contending team. Period.

JB needs to:

trade hansen for some asset hopefully a late first.

hit a home run with his high first and then draft 2-3 solid nhlers with the hansen pick and the second rounders.

in the off season, go hard after Alzner then force Edler out in a trade for a young forward.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

I've always thought that this rule hurts some prospects. I understand why the agreement is in place but many times for development purposes prospects are better in the AHL.

I'd like to see an agreement where teams can designate one player per draft year to forego their 4th year of CHL eligibility. I know the CHL needs to be able to retain skilled players to survive, but if a player has already played three years of junior and hasn't made the jump to the NHL, it isn't as if he is that outstanding that he is putting butts in the seats. 

25 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

this is a massive draft got JB and co. Unfortunately it's weak but he will have a high 1st and likely two 2nds. He needs to surround Bo with a core that can become a contender.

JB needs to face reality - he will lose one of Hansen, Beartsvhi, Granlund in the expansion draft and he will look stupid. Sbisa has being ok overall and has worked his way out of whipping boy status, but don't be fooled, he is not a top 4 on a contending team. Period.

JB needs to:

hit a home run with his high first and then draft 2-3 solid nhlers with the hansen pick and the second rounders.

in the off season, go hard after Alzner then force Edler out in a trade for a young forward.

how does he look stupid for losing a player in the expansion draft?  Every team will lose one.

35 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

JB needs to:

Trade a D, expose Hansen, protect Baer and Granlund.  

Unfortunately but manageable, lose Guance. 

And the only way Juolevi gets 9 games next year is if one of the top 6 is injured to start IMO. 

Edited by J.R.

8 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Nailed it, Hansen will fetch a good return sbisa is expendable no big loss here.

Thank you, this is just so logical the JB won't do it "hansen means too much to our organization" JB will say, not realizing he is coming to the end of his prime, while JB loses Granlund or Baer who are just scratching the surface of what they can do

21 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Thank you, this is just so logical the JB won't do it "hansen means too much to our organization" JB will say, not realizing he is coming to the end of his prime, while JB loses Granlund or Baer who are just scratching the surface of what they can do

You have no idea what JB will actually do, so why do you keep pretending that you know exactly what he will do?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Because Hansen had trade vslue

we can lose Sbisa in the expansion draft and no one will really care

really?  i think a lot of people would care about losing a #3-4 dman in his prime.  I find it humourous that so many people want to trade anyone eligible for the ED.  Every team is going to lose a good player.

12 hours ago, stawns said:

really?  i think a lot of people would care about losing a #3-4 dman in his prime.  I find it humourous that so many people want to trade anyone eligible for the ED.  Every team is going to lose a good player.

Sbisa > Gudbranson. I'd expose notthatGudbranson before Sbisa.

How is OJ doing? Anyone actually watch any London games? 

8 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Because Sbisa was everyones darling in his first 30 games with us? #hindsight

It's more like what have you done for me lately;) 

The CDC needs an infusion of Ritalin. We come across as a bunch of cats trying to catch a laser pointer high on cat nip. ;) 

• Upvote 2