The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think you are setting the bar a bit low for Olli.  As a 5th overall pick, I am hoping he has a good handle at both ends of the ice.  He may not be as offensively gifted as Quinn, but he has decent size and skill to deal with most anything in the d-zone.

if he turned into an Erhoff type, I'd be good with that.. or a Letang.. there's always room on a team for that

2 hours ago, Solinar said:

We'll have Hughes, Juolevi, and Hutton on the left side, with Tanev, Stecher, and Gudbranson on the right, with Chatfield and Woo being groomed to fill out spots vacated in time on the right side. 

Hughes and Joulevi are definitely awesome prospects but will be rookies next year and as a whole the top 6D above is very average. Hutton, Stecher and Guddy are #5-6D on a good team at best, Tanev a #3-4.

4 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Did you know that Hutton, Stecher and Gudbranson are currently playing top 4 on a team that's in 6th place right now?  The D corps could use a star added, but they aren't too bad at all currently.  I think the big problem is that there isn't a solid #1.  Both Tanev or Edler could play #2 depending on who was #1.  Edler, when healthy, can fill that role until someone shows up.

Seriously.

Given their respective injury day per season, They should just rotate Edler and Tanev to play 41 games a year each, and allow Sautner, Joulevi, and McEneny to rotate up.  

Joulevi is probably ready for the NHL right now, but behind in conditioning due to his injury or surgery. He will make the big club and as all defensemen do have a few gaffs defensively. Its the price you pay for offense. Can CDC handle it? Hard to say, but he will make the big club soon (probably due to injuries) and never look back. Look at the big Russian, couldn't crack the line up, then when he played , we need him....

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Solinar said:

Hughes has stated he's comfortable playing both sides, but his natural tendency would be towards the LHD position.  And we aren't exactly weak on the right side with our prospect pool either, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Hughes Juolevi Hutton Left side in the future.  Our right side should definitely have Stecher and Woo in the future if everything pans out, and it will be interesting to see who survives the longest, Gudbranson or Tanev within the organisation.

We need to normalize our abbreviations here.

LD, RD are side they play on LHD, RHD is handedness, the side they shoot on.

He is a LHD that can play either LD or RD but LD is his natural position.

• Upvote 1

Olli has always been an offensive dman ever since junior. He even stated in his interview with the team after he got drafted that he was offensive minded. The problem was that in junior, he could get away with skating the puck away from forecheckers. He always needed work when he got hemmed in his own zone, which is what he's learning now in Utica.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its funny because how I see Olli is a Edler-like kind of guy.

Guy is likely going to go greatly unappreciated for years, but is a minute munching dman in all situations, likely to see the best players match up on a nightly basis.  Not a lot of flash, but gets it done at the end of the night.  Kind of player that gives you a glimpse of a number one dman, but can sometimes leave you wanting more, but overall you like his whole game regardless.

Many people have stated that Alex Edler is an extremely intelligent player and person overall, feel the same about Juolevi. 

If we got ourselves another Edler-like player, that is awesome. Having Hughes to complement the job offensively, we may be set for the future, regarding #1-2 D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I feel like people need to find something about Joulevi to complain about. First it was that he was solid defensively but doesnt have high end offensive potential of a top 5 pick, then its he producing offensively but look at his +/-, he must be bad defensively. This offense is great for his development, as he will continue to improve defensively at the next level due to his hockey IQ and as he gets stronger. 

I think it feels like that with more than just Juolevi. Lately, I've noticed there have been certain people so miserable that it almost makes me wonder what they might be doing in their life to have such a dismal outlook. It's depressing just reading their posts. lol

• Cheers 1

I don’t know why so many people are butt hurt over OJ he is showing great offensive prowess in Utica right now.

You can teach defensive and I feel once you gets more familiar with the league his defensive style will come in but showing the offensive tools that he’s got has been great. Once Demko gets back in the crease his plus minus with be better but I honestly like majority things I’m seeing from OJ so far, watched about 10-12 of the game 

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think Hughes is expecting to play in the NHL next season in stead of signing and going to Utica. If Juolevi keeps up this pace and makes the team out of camp we may have two rookie LD starting in the same season. This will make things interesting with the lines. 

Hutton Stetcher 

Juolevi Tanev 

Hughes Gudbranson 

Pouliot Biega 

Gone 

Edler

Del Zotto