The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

11 hours ago, jstewboy said:

If Juolevi signed a contract with a team in Europe before signing with London, then yes, he would be eligible to play in Europe. However, he is currently property of the London Knights, then the Canucks have next dibs in the upcoming 3 years. He would be 21 years old before he would have the chance to play in Europe as it stands.    

6 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I don't believe Juolevi is under contract with London.  I  think they just own his rights if Juolevi intends to play in the CHL.  Like others has said, right now Juolevi is contracts free and could sign a contract with the NHL team owning his rights (Canucks), Finland or the KHL if that's where he wants to play.  As long as he's not on a contract with the Canucks, Europe or KHL trumps London IMO.

Just like McDavid I believe was drafted in the KHL before being drafted in the NHL.  If he wanted to play there he would have to sign with that team only.  Don't know if Finland or KHL have drafted Juolevi, but he doesn't have to play in North America if he doesn't to (as long as he's not under contract with Canucks).

I am pretty sure Timberz is correct on this and jstewboy is incorrect. Among other things, I heard Linden say something to the effect that Juolevi's agent has not indicated an intention to play in Europe next year. But that means it is possible. Also, London has the CHL rights to Juolevi, There is no way they can prevent him going to Europe next year if he wants.

9 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

what is this discussion?  He's playing for London next year.

Well if he is better than any of the defensemen we have then tell it to the owners who want to ice the most profitable talented lineup in order to make it rain financially  the playoffs.:ph34r:

• Upvote 2

If and only if he makes the team we would get rid of two of three to make room

Edler,Tanev and Sbisa as Trymakin can play both sides well!!!

we have to get rid of one already which I see a move to get a big scoring winger.So if Olli makes the team and right now I do not see why not,then a big trade would make us better will happen!!!

12 hours ago, jstewboy said:

If Juolevi signed a contract with a team in Europe before signing with London, then yes, he would be eligible to play in Europe. However, he is currently property of the London Knights, then the Canucks have next dibs in the upcoming 3 years. He would be 21 years old before he would have the chance to play in Europe as it stands.    

I think (know) his OHL status prevents him from being assigned to the AHL if also under an ELC contract with his NHL club.

I don't think an OHL agreement restricts a player from signing a pro agreement in any way in Europe. Regardless of ELC status. The pro teams in Europe need the NHL teams permission, ie on loan, if he has signed the NHL ELC.  As they have agreements not to try and sign "contracted" players. 

But do they really need the OHL teams permission?

1 hour ago, tyhee said:

The suggestion that the Canucks can sign Juolevi and then assign him to Europe appears to me to be mistaken.  Imo it can't happen. 

The application of the NHL-CHL rule doesn't depend on nationality of the player.  It is strictly what team the player was drafted from.  See for example http://prospectsannex.blogspot.ca/2010/04/nhlchl-agreement-why-juniors-have-to-be.html in which it says, in part:

"The NHL/CHL agreement states that a player with junior eligibility signed by an NHL team must be returned to his junior team if he's not playing in the NHL.  ...Players who are not drafted from the CHL, like NCAA and European players, aren't held to these rules. Players who were drafted out of Europe and then play in the CHL later, can play in the minors under the age of 20. European players drafted out of the CHL are held to it. Nationality is not part of the equation -- it's where you were drafted from (which league developed you)."

Juolevi is in the same position as Vishnevskiy was. He can't be loaned by the Canucks to anybody but the Knights (unless the Knights trade his CHL rights.)   No AHL, no ECHL, and no return to Europe-if he signs with the Canucks this summer.  The only way he can get back to Europe for next season is to sign there directly.

I've seen speculation that Juolevi's agent is pushing for him to play in Europe this coming season.  That can't happen if Juolevi signs with the Canucks first.  I don't know if that's a part of the reason Juolevi hasn't yet signed a Canucks' contract.

You spent a lot of time explaining that but didn't need to. I'm aware the CHL/NHL agreement applies (I've noted that several times on previous pages to clear up confusion about the 'on loan' mistake), but much of what you're describing is more specific to the AHL/ECHL. At no point will you ever get a junior team to agree to let a player go to the minors rather than come back to the CHL as it'd set a precedent, but you will see players go back to Europe. Now that'd take the CHL team agreeing and compensation paid most likely, but it can be done even if the Canucks sign him to a deal.

11 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Nicolas Lidstrom was drafted #53 in the 1989 draft and won 7 Norris Trophies.  I pray Juolevi will be our Norris Trophy D man we have never had.  No pressure kid!  :lol:

Does that mean that Hutton will be our Scott Neidermeyer? :) 

On July 19, 2016 at 5:18 PM, tyhee said:

The suggestion that the Canucks can sign Juolevi and then assign him to Europe appears to me to be mistaken.  Imo it can't happen. 

The application of the NHL-CHL rule doesn't depend on nationality of the player.  It is strictly what team the player was drafted from.  See for example http://prospectsannex.blogspot.ca/2010/04/nhlchl-agreement-why-juniors-have-to-be.html in which it says, in part:

"The NHL/CHL agreement states that a player with junior eligibility signed by an NHL team must be returned to his junior team if he's not playing in the NHL.  ...Players who are not drafted from the CHL, like NCAA and European players, aren't held to these rules. Players who were drafted out of Europe and then play in the CHL later, can play in the minors under the age of 20. European players drafted out of the CHL are held to it. Nationality is not part of the equation -- it's where you were drafted from (which league developed you)."

Also see http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/chl-no-intentions-changing-underage-rules-ahl-exemptions/ where it says "The NHL and CHL have an agreement in place that stipulates if a player drafted from one of the three leagues that make up the CHL doesn’t join his NHL club at the beginning of a season, that he must return to the major junior team he was selected from."

The way the rule applies to European players is well explained at http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012, with examples.  There it says:

"

European players further complicate The Agreement. If European players are drafted in the CHL draft before they're drafted by an NHL club, this rule applies to them. However, if they're drafted as a member of a European squad, and choose post-NHL-draft to play for a CHL team, they can, in fact, report to the NHL team's minor squads before the age limit kicks in. To explain this in detail, let's look at three European players who were drafted in 2006: Jiri Tlusty, Artem Anisimov, and Ivan Vishnevskiy. Based on the agreement, the age cutoff for the AHL for 18-year-old players drafted in 2006 would be 20 years old by December 30, 2008.

Artem Anisimov is the simplest of these three cases. He was drafted by the New York Rangers out of the Yaroslavl Locomotiv of the KHL, and was assigned to the Hartford Wolf Pack at the age of 19 for the 2007-2008 season. He turned 20 on May 24, 2008. No CHL involvement means no age restriction. Easy enough.

Ivan Vishnevskiy is the opposite case. He was the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies' (QMJHL) second pick in the CHL import draft in 2005, before being drafted by the Dallas Stars out of R-N in 2006. Since he was drafted from a CHL team, the same rules apply to Vishnevskiy as any other player drafted from a CHL team: 20 years old or 4 years of play. Vishnevskiy played for Rouyn-Noranda for three seasons, turned 20 during the 2007-2008 season, and reported to the Peoria Rivermen of the AHL to start the 2008-2009 season.

Jiri Tlusty exemplifies the strange hybrid case of a European player who played for the CHL but was drafted from Europe. He was drafted tenth overall in 2006 from HC Kladno of the Czech Extraliga, then signed with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL. After one season, he split the season between the Marlies of the AHL and the NHL's Maple Leafs as a 19-year-old. Since he was drafted by the Maple Leafs from Europe, he was eligible for minor league play. David Krejci could have been in a similar situation; he was also drafted from HC Kladno in the same draft before playing for the Gatineau Olympiques of the QMJHL the following season; he, however, opted to spend two years in juniors before playing for the AHL P-Bruins at the age of 20.

These rules don't just apply to Europeans, as was the case with the Blackhawks' Jeremy Morin. He was drafted out of the USA's National Development program before signing with the Kitchener Rangers in 2009-2010. After some controversy, it appears he will report to Rockford of the AHL to begin the 2010-2011 season if he does not make the Blackhawks' NHL squad."

Juolevi was drafted from the London Knights, not from Europe.  See the draft listing at http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2016e.html (or anywhere else, for that matter.)  Every listing shows him as being drafted from the Knights of the OHL.  I know there was some early (incorrect) speculation that Juolevi had only been loaned to the Knights by his Finnish team, but  elitepropsects.com show him as having been transferred (not loaned-see http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196391which says:

"Career transactions
- 2015-07-17 • Transferred from Jokerit U20 to the London Knights (OHL)"

I've also seen numerous sources saying Thomas Drance reported Trevor Linden told him that Juolevi would be subject to the NHL-CHL agreement.  One of them is at https://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/comments/4pzfg1/thomas_drance_linden_says_juolevi_wasnt_on_loan/?st=iqu4p85t&sh=b8cb6fb2.

Juolevi is in the same position as Vishnevskiy was. He can't be loaned by the Canucks to anybody but the Knights (unless the Knights trade his CHL rights.)   No AHL, no ECHL, and no return to Europe-if he signs with the Canucks this summer.  The only way he can get back to Europe for next season is to sign there directly.

I've seen speculation that Juolevi's agent is pushing for him to play in Europe this coming season.  That can't happen if Juolevi signs with the Canucks first.  I don't know if that's a part of the reason Juolevi hasn't yet signed a Canucks' contract.

I don't get this Europe fetish from a few guys on the forums. He's going to be developing in London next season, nothing to be worried about. These guys produce solid NHL players. That is if he doesn't play for the Canucks next season.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I don't get this Europe fetish from a few guys on the forums. He's going to be developing in London next season, nothing to be worried about. These guys produce solid NHL players. That is if he doesn't play for the Canucks next season.

I'm with you. It didn't work out for Jensen. Why would you want OJ there?

17 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

It's not even worth talking about in my opinion. London is arguably the BEST place for a developing player in all of hockey. This guy is a gem, just give him another year to develop his offence and leadership. 

He's def gonna light it up in London. Anyone know if tkachuk is going back for another year?

4 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

He's def gonna light it up in London. Anyone know if tkachuk is going back for another year?

He will only go back is he needs to improve his skating more.  Other than his poor skating, he's NHL ready

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He will only go back is he needs to improve his skating more.  Other than his poor skating, he's NHL ready

Skating is a strong suit of Juolevi. It's strength and shot that he should work on the most for next season. 

Edited by Crackers

3 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Skating is a strong suit of Juolevi. It's strength and shot that he should work on the most for next season. 

Juiolevvi is a fabulous skater.  The comment was directed toward a poster who mentioned if Tkatchuk was heading back to London.  Tkatchuk is known to be a poor skater.

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Juiolevvi is a fabulous skater.  The comment was directed toward a poster who mentioned if Tkatchuk was heading back to London.  Tkatchuk is known to be a poor skater.

Whoops my bad! I should perhaps learn to read one of these days. :lol:

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

It's not even worth talking about in my opinion. London is arguably the BEST place for a developing player in all of hockey. This guy is a gem, just give him another year to develop his offence and leadership. 

I would say in the case of Juolevi Europe might be a better choice. He can go there and play against men. It's a massive difference to play against men vs kids. He'll learn techniques on how to handle a man's strenght vs a teeager's. He'll learn how to battle in corners vs men and to skate vs men. He's done all he could in juniors, let him go to Europe and take the next step. 

This will help him prepare better to play against men in the AHL or NHL the following year, I'd start off in Utica and bring him up if he excels in the AHL. Truly a gem of a player. Hope he's not rushed. 

• Upvote 1

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 4:51 PM, shayster007 said:

Is this ok? I'm so torn. I think I like this. But I'm confused on so many levels right now. 

Edit: ok, now that it's settled in I'm stoked. Loosing Dubois was really hard, but this kids the real deal. Benning managed to completely turn around our back end, and D wins cups. 

I agree, with what JB is looking for in a trade, Tachuk, Gauthier, and Brown were available. Not to mention a few big D men that will be forces to be reconed with for years to come (Chychurin, Hauf, among others) to be honest i have never herd of our first rounder. I guess it is possible that he is one of those "diamonds in the rough", man i hope so. We will see come training camp and preseason.