The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 9/11/2018 at 5:39 AM, Phat Fingers said:

He is a guy that needs skilled forwards to be successful, he can’t be the guy to create out of nothing. 

He would be fantastic for our horrible transition game.  

I agree that some guys just play better in a more structured game.  Like good quarterbacks in football, good defencemen make passes to where you are supposed to be - they anticipate what other players will do, just like good chess players.

• Upvote 1

The Summer Classic is likely the worst place to evaluate a player like OJ. 

It is harder to gauge defenders in this type of loosy goose play. Especially ones who play a more structured game. 

Hughes would tear that type of game apart, due to his dynamic style and puck rushing abilities, not OJ’s style. 

OJ looks to be that guy that could be a great PPQB IMO like a stand up QB with a great arm. 

Set plays and systems with guys that can accept a pass. He will shine in that scenario. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

A clip from Jackson McDonald's blog in CA today  WWYDM

Captain Video:

Juolevi. The key to any rebuild is not to select busts with top ten picks. Now that Olli’s beginning the third season after his draft year, it’s time for him to step up and shine. While his surgery may land him in the AHL to start the season, he absolutely needs to crack the NHL roster by the trade deadline. If Benning has whiffed on both the Virtanen and Juolevi picks, then the rebuild has been set back at least two years and ownership needs to look for a new GM.

I think who ever this guy is he should change his moniker to Captain Kangaroo. Typical CA garbage IMO.

OJ said it best himself, 

“I am not the flashiest player and my game, you kind of need to know hockey to see those little things when I do them right."

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Captain Video:

Juolevi. The key to any rebuild is not to select busts with top ten picks. Now that Olli’s beginning the third season after his draft year, it’s time for him to step up and shine. While his surgery may land him in the AHL to start the season, he absolutely needs to crack the NHL roster by the trade deadline. If Benning has whiffed on both the Virtanen and Juolevi picks, then the rebuild has been set back at least two years and ownership needs to look for a new GM.

I think who ever this guy is he should change his moniker to Captain Kangaroo. Typical CA garbage IMO.

wth he didn't wift on the Virtanen or Juolevi picks, Juolevi hasn't even played a single NHL game and he's 20 years old for crying out loud, crawl back to hfboards. the verdict is still out on Virtanen, out playing picks 7 and 5 in 2014.

• Cheers 1

Juolevi looked pretty solid at the Young Stars Tourney, he wasn't in perfect game shape which is to be expected with his offseason surgery. But he was getting shots through, he was making smart passes, and was where he needed to be. Been saying it since he was drafted, he's NOT flashy. But he's effective. The closest thing to a surefire prospect at the time. We had ZERO D prospects. We couldn't afford to miss with that pick. He's 20!! He had a great year last year as well. He is well on his way. People gotta relax with Juolevi hate.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Captain Video:

Got to have a list of these 'know nothing' wankers. Please add other brain dead media to my list !

So far.........#1. Trevor Knapp #2. Jackson McDonald. There just might be one or two more, especially if we include the all knowing, all seeing Eastern man-bun crowd !

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

I’d say the Brock Boeser and Jake Virtanen picks are kind of a wash. Jake maybe isn’t a 6th overall level player but he is a first round talent. Brock boeser easily would go in the top 6 in a 2015 redraft. So yeah maybe Jake was a bit of a miss, but Brock was a steal so it cancels out. 

As for Joulevi? Guys gunna be a stud. No point in amazing absurd claims like “he absolutely needs to crack the NHL roster by the trade deadline”. Or what? What if he is the best Defensemen in Utica but they want to bring guys like brisbois, saunter, and chatfield up for some looks before joulevi? Does that mean joulevi is a bust? Such a weird benchmark to determine the success of a player

Thanks for being a voice of reason. Patience people.

2 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

I’d say the Brock Boeser and Jake Virtanen picks are kind of a wash. Jake maybe isn’t a 6th overall level player but he is a first round talent. Brock boeser easily would go in the top 6 in a 2015 redraft. So yeah maybe Jake was a bit of a miss, but Brock was a steal so it cancels out. 

As for Joulevi? Guys gunna be a stud. No point in amazing absurd claims like “he absolutely needs to crack the NHL roster by the trade deadline”. Or what? What if he is the best Defensemen in Utica but they want to bring guys like brisbois, saunter, and chatfield up for some looks before joulevi? Does that mean joulevi is a bust? Such a weird benchmark to determine the success of a player

Similar to my feelings on it, Jake is not a "wiff" or a "bust". I want more offense from a 6th OA pick, but Jake is still a useful NHL player. Very fast, good defensively, can make a hard hit, and occasionally makes a great drive to the net. Not to mention his contract is dirt cheap. Like you said, if Jake was picked 23rd overall (and Boeser 6th) no one would complain. 

• Upvote 4

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Captain Video:

Guy sounds like a typical troll. OJ the youngest kid in his  draft year. Barely 20. Was the d man for  his team in the playoffs. in a very tough league  Jake grew by leaps and bounds last year.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

to be honest it's not like Sam Bennet (4th overall) Dal Cole (5th overall) or Fleury (7th overall) is turning heads either.  Bennet is slowly looking like a bust, he does not have Virtanen speed or size to make it an effective 3rd liner although he does have grit, Dal Cole is a bust, Fleury is just a 6th dman, things can be worse, the 2014 draft was a wild card draft honestly

Re the bolded...

The 2014 draft had two top layers iirc. The top 5 was almost unchanged from mock draft to mock draft. A small number of scribes didn't include dal Colle in their top 5 ( very few ). The 2nd tier was Ehlers,Virtanen, Nylander ( less consensus, I think Ritchie and Kapanen were being included ). MyNHLdraft had Virtanen rated #7 ( ahead of both Ehlers and Nylander ), so hardly an off the board pick ( Boeser was ranked 2nd round in 2015, he was a bit of a stretch, myNHLdraft being an average of many mocks ). I don't know if dal Colle has an NHL future, but I think the consensus top 10 was fairly set and has proved to be somewhat accurate.

• Upvote 2