The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

It was reported that JB lit Thomas Gradin and the European's scout on fire a year after the 2014 draft for missing on David Pastrnak. So JB listen to the input of the scouting staffs he had and made the picks accordingly.

Well someone missed out on Pastrnak.  Glad that changes were made and we didn't miss out on EP40.  Easily as good as a player.  

14 hours ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

There would've been a riot in the streets if we had taken Pasta at 6. IIRC Even Jared McCann was ranked higher than Pasta in all the consensus rankings. I was happy with the McCann pick as was most of CDC. Literally nobody could've predicted how good Pasta is now. 

exactly.  hindsight 20/20.  not to mention no team hits home runs on all their picks.  It's almost impossible.  

• Upvote 1

I remember in the 2014 draft Gradin was fighting hard for Nylander but Lindenning couldn't pass up on the chance to pick-up a meat & potatoes local kid. McCann also modelled his game after Ryan Kesler so the overall sentiment of that draft was get tough and Canadian. Also throw in Tryamkin who was an absolute monster, Petit who was 6'4, and a goon in Mackenze. 

Gradin got his pick - Gustav Forsling, who was a huge steal. After posting 8 points in 7 games at the World Junior's Benning flipped him for Clendening. Chicago fans absolutely love Forsling. 

The 2014 draft is the most frustrating because it had so much potential. Virtanen ended up being a poor pick, McCann was traded, Tryamkin was mis-managed and Forsling was traded. 

If we took Nylander (who was the BPA), treated Tryamkin better, didn't flip McCann for Gudbranson which made no sense to me at the time (had Tryamkin and Sbisa in the lineup), and didn't make the pointless Forsling for Clendening trade this draft would have been absolutely LIT.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I remember in the 2014 draft Gradin was fighting hard for Nylander but Lindenning couldn't pass up on the chance to pick-up a meat & potatoes local kid. McCann also modelled his game after Ryan Kesler so the overall sentiment of that draft was get tough and Canadian. Also throw in Tryamkin who was an absolute monster, Petit who was 6'4, and a goon in Mackenze. 

Gradin got his pick - Gustav Forsling, who was a huge steal. After posting 8 points in 7 games at the World Junior's Benning flipped him for Clendening. Chicago fans absolutely love Forsling. 

The 2014 draft is the most frustrating because it had so much potential. Virtanen ended up being a poor pick, McCann was traded, Tryamkin was mis-managed and Forsling was traded. 

If we took Nylander (who was the BPA), treated Tryamkin better, didn't flip McCann for Gudbranson which made no sense to me at the time (had Tryamkin and Sbisa in the lineup), and didn't make the pointless Forsling for Clendening trade this draft would have been absolutely LIT.

Got to disagree with Nylander and McCann.  Nylander is a selfish Fop.  McCann is a selfish punk.  JB knew Nylander was going to Fop out.  JB learned quickly that McCann was going to punk out.  

I agree Willie D screwed up Tryamkin.  

Forsling is a meh player. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Got to disagree with Nylander and McCann.  Nylander is a selfish Fop.  McCann is a selfish punk.  JB knew Nylander was going to Fop out.  JB learned quickly that McCann was going to punk out.  

I agree Willie D screwed up Tryamkin.  

Forsling is a meh player. 

Stating fact not opinion. Nylander is a far more valuable player than Virtanen. Even if we had this contract dispute and traded him we would have received a much better return than Jake Virtanen. 

The McCann trade is terrible. We also gave up a pick and the BPA was Alex DeBrinecat who is scoring at a 40 goal pace this season. Gudbranson is pretty much useless and way overpaid. We would be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him right now. 

Forsling is a 22 year old dman drafted in the 5th round who is already a pretty solid NHL player. He has had a lot of injuries but still looks like he could be a 2nd pairing player. 

I don't particularly like Nylander or McCann either but the value we got from the alternatives has been terrible. I actually really like Jake Virtanen but at 6th he was an atrocious pick. If he was taken with the McCann pick I'd be fine with him. 

• Wat 2

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Stating fact not opinion. Nylander is a far more valuable player than Virtanen. Even if we had this contract dispute and traded him we would have received a much better return than Jake Virtanen. 

The McCann trade is terrible. We also gave up a pick and the BPA was Alex DeBrinecat who is scoring at a 40 goal pace this season. Gudbranson is pretty much useless and way overpaid. We would be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him right now. 

Forsling is a 22 year old dman drafted in the 5th round who is already a pretty solid NHL player. He has had a lot of injuries but still looks like he could be a 2nd pairing player. 

I don't particularly like Nylander or McCann either but the value we got from the alternatives has been terrible. I actually really like Jake Virtanen but at 6th he was an atrocious pick. If he was taken with the McCann pick I'd be fine with him. 

Well, your facts are actually opinion.  

OJ, which this thread is about, (IMO) will be a top pair D man for the coming decade.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well, your facts are actually opinion.  

OJ, which this thread is about, (IMO) will be a top pair D man for the coming decade.

ITS always easy to go over previous draft years and look at how players turn out from each draft..Then fans are critical, the arm chair fans would of drafted perfect... Those critical fans should be honest at who they really liked at draft day..

I REMEMBER 2 YEARS AGO VANCOUVER FANS REALLY WANTED CODY GLASS???????? DON'T HERE THOSE FANS COMING OUT AND SAYING JIM TOOK THE WRONG GUY?????? I WAS ONE OF THOSE CODY GLASS FANS.. 

Pettesrson  never hear those fans talk about this...
JIM and his team do a great job drafting top 5 in the NHL ( A )

I really like the way Vancouver has drafted... 

I thinks Jake at age 24 will be a 20 -24 G -- 45-50 points very fast skater that opens up the ice with his size and speed..

Every team need a power forward like Jake. Big jake has come a long way...

Edited by wildcam
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, wildcam said:

ITS always easy to go over previous draft years and look at how players turn out from each draft..Then fans are critical, the arm chair fans would of drafted perfect... Those critical fans should be honest at who they really liked at draft day..

I REMEMBER 2 YEARS AGO VANCOUVER FANS REALLY WANTED CODY GLASS???????? DON'T HERE THOSE FANS COMING OUT AND SAYING JIM TOOK THE WRONG GUY?????? I WAS ONE OF THOSE CODY GLASS FANS.. 

I tge 24 will be a 20 -24 G -- 45-hinks Jake at a50 points very fast skater that opens up the ice with his size and speed..

I agree. At 22 Jake will hit his stride within 2 years. Big strides this year. Will have slightly more than 200 NHL games by year end. IMHO he will be a key part of a CUP contender for Vancouver. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

I thinks Jake at age 24 will be a 20 -24 G -- 45-50 points very fast skater that opens up the ice with his size and speed..

I am not nearly as annoyed with the pick as I am the trades. But I do remember reading about how Gradin was fighting hard for the Nylander pick and said he was as good as Reinhart. At the time I said Virtanen is probably not the best pick but if we draft him and he is a tough 15-20 goal scorer fans will love him. He wasn't off the board and there was too much risk passing up on him if he did end up being better than Nylander or Ehlers. 

Here were my picks:
2005: Kopitar
2006: Stewart 
2007: Perron
2008: Hodgson

2009: Schroeder
2011: Jenner
2012: Gaunce
2013: Nichushkin & Theodore 
2014: Ehlers & McCann
2015: Konecny 
2016: Tkachuk
2017: Glass
2018: Hughes

The picks in bold are the ones I was really angry about us passing up on at the time.  Nichushkin was a huge bust haha. I did like the Boeser and Pettersson picks at the time, but didn't have them on my radar. 

Edited by canucklehead44

On 1/20/2019 at 8:22 AM, canucklehead44 said:

The McCann trade is terrible. We also gave up a pick and the BPA was Alex DeBrinecat who is scoring at a 40 goal pace this season. Gudbranson is pretty much useless and way overpaid. We would be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him right now

Captain Hindsighting aside, it's time to delete the 1040 preset.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/20/2019 at 3:25 PM, canucklehead44 said:

I am not nearly as annoyed with the pick as I am the trades. But I do remember reading about how Gradin was fighting hard for the Nylander pick and said he was as good as Reinhart. At the time I said Virtanen is probably not the best pick but if we draft him and he is a tough 15-20 goal scorer fans will love him. He wasn't off the board and there was too much risk passing up on him if he did end up being better than Nylander or Ehlers. 

Here were my picks:
2005: Kopitar
2006: Stewart 
2007: Perron
2008: Hodgson

2009: Schroeder
2011: Jenner
2012: Gaunce
2013: Nichushkin & Theodore 
2014: Ehlers & McCann
2015: Konecny 
2016: Tkachuk
2017: Glass
2018: Hughes

The picks in bold are the ones I was really angry about us passing up on at the time.  Nichushkin was a huge bust haha. I did like the Boeser and Pettersson picks at the time, but didn't have them on my radar. 

Send me links that states he was pushing for nylander.  Thank you.

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Nylander was very valuable at his ELC salary. At approximately $6.8 million for the next 6, and at his current production, I'd rather Virtanen. 

If we had kept McCann, where would we have put him during the 2017-2018 season? Utica? 4th line? We had a surplus of centres, but no depth at RHD. Guddy isn't racking up points, but he's doing well in a top 6/top 4 role. I personally don't miss the 2nd and 4th we gave up either. Sure, Debrincat is fitting in well in Chicago, partnered predominantly with Kane. Would he produce similarly in Vancouver playing with EP or Horvat? Maybe, but we'd have a massive hole on D considering we lost Sbisa in expansion and Tryamkin went home. 

Forsling is doing ok in a top 6 role in Chicago, who are starved for D. Maybe he replaces Pouliot in our current line up, but the Clendening trade was a calculated gamble that didn't turn out. I'm not crying over it. 

Hindsight is 20/20.

• Cheers 1

On 1/20/2019 at 7:59 AM, canucklehead44 said:

This draft was key to drafting Pettersson in 2017, so I'm glad it happened and they learned from it. It was JB who was asking the scouting team how they missed on Pastrnak, and it was mostly because he was playing in the Allsvenskan. After that the scouting team took more time to scout the league and put more value of production in that league which led to them ranking Pettersson top 2 in their 2017 draft list. 

Edited by westcoastsniper
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, therodigy said:

Nylander was very valuable at his ELC salary. At approximately $6.8 million for the next 6, and at his current production, I'd rather Virtanen. 

If we had kept McCann, where would we have put him during the 2017-2018 season? Utica? 4th line? We had a surplus of centres, but no depth at RHD. Guddy isn't racking up points, but he's doing well in a top 6/top 4 role. I personally don't miss the 2nd and 4th we gave up either. Sure, Debrincat is fitting in well in Chicago, partnered predominantly with Kane. Would he produce similarly in Vancouver playing with EP or Horvat? Maybe, but we'd have a massive hole on D considering we lost Sbisa in expansion and Tryamkin went home. 

Forsling is doing ok in a top 6 role in Chicago, who are starved for D. Maybe he replaces Pouliot in our current line up, but the Clendening trade was a calculated gamble that didn't turn out. I'm not crying over it. 

Hindsight is 20/20.

Good point. If we can lock up Jake at 3 years x 2.5 and he breaks out with 25 goals during that contract he will be VERY valuable. I don't like Nylander at all for his salary. 

I didn't hate the Gudbranson deal at the time but I thought we were getting a much better player back. I expected him to be a huge upgrade on Sbisa - like a young Willie Mitchell. Solid 3/4 guy. Instead he is an overpaid #6. 

If we kept McCann he would have had a year in Utica then moved up instead of Sam Gagner most likely. 

• Upvote 1