The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Maketherightmove said:

He was awesome, but Ehrhoff was still the engine that made that group run. 

That playoff run was the last we'd see of that version of Edler, unfortunately. 

Edler & Hamhuis were our best D.  

Ehrhoff just scored the highest # of points. As he was good on the power play where we were tops in the NHL that year.

Frickin AV? I remember Ehrhoff coming on the ice as the puck transitioned up ice. Off in favour of Hamhuis whenever possible as the play was geared to the defensive end. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Edler & Hamhuis were our best D.  

Ehrhoff just scored the highest # of points. As he was good on the power play where we were tops in the NHL that year.

Frickin AV? I remember Ehrhoff coming on the ice as the puck transitioned up ice. Off in favour of Hamhuis whenever possible as the play was geared to the defensive end. 

No #1d but that D core was LOADED with solid #2's Edler/Hamhuis and really good #3's Salo, Bieksa and Ehrhoff with Ballard and a young Tanev for depth. 

Hopefully we're headed back to those sort of days soon ::D

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

No #1d but that D core was LOADED with solid #2's Edler/Hamhuis and really good #3's Salo, Bieksa and Ehrhoff with Ballard and a young Tanev for depth. 

I agree whole heartily.

And this also is my hope for Olli J...

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly, and when you think about cap implications that come with a true #1 D your screwed. Id rather have 2 2s at 12M then 1 1 at 10M

• Upvote 3

With QH43 showing us what we’ve been missing on our blue line all these years, I do believe OJ will do the same with his stretch and cross ice passes. Our transitional game is being kicked up a few notches. I’m looking forward to when this kid is healthy again, taking his next steps. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

20 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

With QH43 showing us what we’ve been missing on our blue line all these years, I do believe OJ will do the same with his stretch and cross ice passes. Our transitional game is being kicked up a few notches. I’m looking forward to when this kid is healthy again, taking his next steps. 

Definitely. With all respect to our current D corps, everyone on it seems to have too much difficulty with the breakout and offensive-zone entries. Some of it can be blamed on our wingers, but I think a more adept, mobile and transitionally-inclined blueline will be crucial in allowing us to score on the rush more often and establish offensive-zone presence. It's particularly annoying when, on the powerplay, we keep getting our plays broken up before we're able to set up or even get through neutral ice. At the NHL level, you really don't want to be playing the dump-and-chase game; typically it means you're being shut down. I'm hopeful that OJ can conduce offense when he makes the team--good first-pass and general counter-rush abilities are things we're still in need of on the back-end, even with Hughes.

Edited by 112
  • Upvote 3

If Juolevi pans out and plays like a first rounder (not even a 5 th overall) and Woo continues his great play (almost earning a first round consideration in a redraft) that's 3 kids that are first round talent on our blue line. The future is indeed bright. (even on our blue line) 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Any news on Juolevi's recovery?  When is he supposed to be back to full health?

He had his surgery in the middle of December so I'm assuming he's doing some major rehab right now.  He's expected to be ready for camp which is a good timeline as it will be 9 months post surgery.  I'm sure he will be fully healthy by summer and working hard to get to camp in the best shape of his life.  I really want him to succeed but this injury has pushed his development back for sure.  Let's see what happens.  If he can come back strong and show he can be a top 4 guy then moving a guy like Hutton in a package to acquire a top 6 winger becomes a lot easier. 

At the end of the day if Juolevi can come back from this injury and play top 4 minutes then it's either him or Hutton that will have to go if we re-sign Edler to a long term extension.  We can't keep both as both need to be protected for expansion and we have Stecher and possibly Tryamkin or a FA signing that would need protection as well.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

On 3/30/2019 at 1:48 PM, Qwags said:

I’d like him to have a spot but probably best to start in the AHL. I think Ashton Saunter Has shown he can be a #8 guy and we can drop Pouliot.

I wouldn’t mind moving Hutton for the right return and bringing in a cheaper option to create some competition. Ideally we would find a way to bring Tram back.

Edited by canucklehead44

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I’d like him to have a spot but probably best to start in the AHL. I think Ashton Saunter Has shown he can be a #8 guy and we can drop Pouliot.

I wouldn’t mind moving Hutton for the right return and bringing in a cheaper option to create some competition. Ideally we would find a way to bring Tram back.

Ya I feel like Juolevi is close and then we have a couple others that could take spots down the line (Brisebois, Sautner)

I feel Huttons value is pretty high right now so Id trade him and then sign a vet on a 1year deal. Flip a Hainsey/Orpik at the deadline and let Juolevi play.

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:42 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

If he can come back strong and show he can be a top 4 guy then moving a guy like Hutton in a package to acquire a top 6 winger becomes a lot easier.

*Or right side D.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Who are some players you are thinking of? I was thinking Julius Honka. He is a pretty good player, still young, who struggles to get into the Stars lineup. 

What about Hutton + 3rd for Honka + 2nd + 5th?

I was thinking Carolina until Fox told them to pound sand.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:33 PM, aGENT said:

Agreed. Although the 2011 team didn’t have a #1 D (as in the Norris nominee level), they had 4 top pairing quality D-man in Edler, Erhoff, Hamhuis and Bieksa. Salo at that point would be 2nd pairing D-man on most other teams is on our 3rd pair. If only we brought back Willie Mitchell, it would of completely solidify our 6 D man. Our weak-link that year were Ballard/Aaron Rome as our #6 and #7 D. Our #8 D for the majority of the season would be Andrew Albert. Looking at this, the drop off was pretty significant after Salo. If we would bring back Willie Mitchell.

Edited by ruilin96

On 4/1/2019 at 7:25 AM, canucklehead44 said:

On 4/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Ya I feel like Juolevi is close and then we have a couple others that could take spots down the line (Brisebois, Sautner)

I feel Huttons value is pretty high right now so Id trade him and then sign a vet on a 1year deal. Flip a Hainsey/Orpik at the deadline and let Juolevi play.

The problem with moving Hutton is that it will likely come back to bite us in rear....this has been his breakout year, he now knows what it takes and more importantly what not to do ...to become a solid top 4 guy....Edler had a great year but Hutton could be pretty much as good next year and moving forward...

Joulevi needs to get some NHL minutes but there is nothing wrong with him being #6 D to start the year....and hopefully by mid season we will have 5-6 top 4 D.

Hughes / Tanev 

Edler / Stecher

Hutton / Juolevi or Schenn

Juolevi  / Biega or Teves

Even if he has to start on the bench as the 7th D.  AND we don't have an injured D. to start the season...Oli could be "platooned" with Edler, Hutton and Hughes...giving all of them some games off and maybe staying healthier because of it.

Well it looks like JB has been working on the D front of late (plus Rathbone)  - good to see some decisions/options available. Makes taking a forward(s) in the next draft look more likely outside BPA.

image.thumb.png.c2030ac1c26a19a174cf18dfc0b36a51.png

image.thumb.png.904275779cac4259a9bde38d199d45f3.png

Edited by Borvat