The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Real changes have already happened, but we need to get lucky to pick up a player who fills the top center spot. Until the Sedins retire, we won't likely get one, but that's life. 

I like that Benning is greatly improving the organizational depth.  Player development also has a higher importance to the club than ever. 

Horvat is growing in confidence and has a lot of tools that get overlooked. Great hands and shot, with the size and strength to compete. He has improved his skating. Not willing to pigeonhole him yet. 

I dont think we are a bottom 5 team without huge injuries. I think we are a fringe bubble team. Let's play some games so we can stop speculating and let the players decide. 

EW

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Elvis;

Tanev and a 1st likely does not get you a generational 1C, especially in a weaker draft than last year. Quite honestly I do expect Van will be drafting in the top 5 again this year. That gives them a real shot at a 1C. IMHO Canuck fans are expecting to much from this roster as it continues its development. The only legit top 6 forwards in the group are all over 30 years old. The Twins and Erickson, one could argue that Hanson and Sutter are on the fringe. Horvat and Baer show promise. That is a organizational ticking time bomb. I do not expect real change until the Twins retire.   

And that's my point about the return. If we're moving Tanev I don't want some 50/50 prospect or marginal 1st line C back, I want a blue chipper. I'd love a generational talent, and for that we might have to gamble like I mentioned on another team who will have a high percentage lottery pick (but even that's a risk if we're including our 1st as well).

But, as I said, I'm not even sure we could use the package to move up for Patrick. It's not a given that's what a team wants, let alone have it be enough value to replace a 1st overall.

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

I think we may be more likely to make a move for a 19-22'ish C prospect who might be stuck behind depth than just move up in the draft personally but we'll see what happens.

It won't be easy or without risk whichever route we go.

Edited by elvis15

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Seeing talents like Giroux or Getzlaf picked in the latter parts of the 1st rd; or Sakic in the teens, gives one cause for optimism...

This.

Jack Skille was a 7th overall pick and the way people are complaining about him being a Canuck over Etem (mind you, there's a 5 year age gap... but still) shows that not everybody in the Top 10 is going to be a "generational" talent (which, by the way, there are VERY few of... McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin, Lemieux, Gretzky... are on the list... which is VERY short). What the goal should be in a top 10 pick is somebody who can be EFFECTIVE on an NHL lineup... hopefully as a 1st line player but if they cap out as a solid 3rd liner... that's better than most draft picks.

Benning's greatest asset is his drafting. He can spot talent and grabs them. I think Stukel, Olson, McKenzie, and Candella are examples of late round steals by Benning already. Factor in that Demko looks to be an NHL goalie, Juolevi will be a top 4 (AT MINIMUM) defenseman by the time he's 22 (so within 4 years), and you got a potential first line winger (second line, at worst) in Boeser and things aren't super catastrophic.

I think had Dubois not been selected by CBJ, he'd be a Canuck and we'd be talking about a need for a guy like Juolevi. Now that we have a guy like Juolevi (who will be insolated from pressure by the likes of young d-men in Gudbranson, Hutton, Stecher, Tanev, and Tryamkin) and that's not bad. I suspect that when Juolevi was selected the Canucks were torn between him and Tyson Jost. Tyson's the guy I would have loved the Canucks to have picked but Juolevi is a good consolidation prize.

We do need scoring. I expect next year we'll select a centre. Who? Not sure yet. Really depends if the Canucks somehow claw there way into a playoff spot or not. But as Nuxfanabroad said... there are always gems in the later stages of the first round... they just take a little longer to mature and stuff and that's fine. As Gillis use to say "it's a process".

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Seeing talents like Giroux or Getzlaf picked in the latter parts of the 1st rd; or Sakic in the teens, gives one cause for optimism...

Oh sure, happens all the time - right? We've had a few denfensive steals more recently, but not since Kesler have we had a center steal. And that was a top end 2nd line center vs a Henrik replacement. I'm not going to hold my breath that we find that player with a random later 1st.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Oh sure, happens all the time - right? We've had a few denfensive steals more recently, but not since Kesler have we had a center steal. And that was a top end 2nd line center vs a Henrik replacement. I'm not going to hold my breath that we find that player with a random later 1st.

Oh sure.....more tar n feathers for Gaunce.....

Sheeeesh

7 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Oh sure.....more tar n feathers for Gaunce.....

Sheeeesh

Not at all, but I'm pretty sure no one is expecting him to be a 1C - and haven't been for a long time. I'm a big fan (see the sig, and I have his jersey even) and hope he exceeds just being an ok bottom 6 guy, but he's not related to that discussion.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Dubois got sent down.

Ah I see. Sergechev(or however you spell it) looked not to bad in his first game. And the the other 4 have looked pretty dang good so far(Tkatchuk, Matthews, Laine, JP). I think with the scheer skill of most of these kids nowadays most top 10 picks could play in the show right away. Mostly just a matter of roster spots. 

17 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Ah I see. Sergechev(or however you spell it) looked not to bad in his first game. And the the other 4 have looked pretty dang good so far(Tkatchuk, Matthews, Laine, JP). I think with the scheer skill of most of these kids nowadays most top 10 picks could play in the show right away. Mostly just a matter of roster spots. 

I see it more like edmonton and calgary have no clue how to develop players properly. You understand matthews and laine being ready. Tkachuk though.... he'll have a shoulder injury sooner rather than later 

25 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Torts said that PLD was quite emotional when he told him that he was getting sent down.

He didn't have the greatest pre-season either.