The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Playing the Foppa card to try to butter me up! :lol:

Sven is a good 2nd liner. Boeser looks like he'll probably be a 1st liner but that's not in stone and hopefully one of Goldy/Dahlen can become a 1st liner but again... not written in stone. 

Also none of them are C's (or project to be). We need a guy with 1C offensive potential to at the very least feed/play off of Boeser (and whoever else ends up on that line). 

Maybe that is Vilardi, and if that's what Benning and Co decide, I'll support it the pick. After all, they do have a lot more and better information and experience to go off. I'm just not seeing it myself. 

Or maybe they have a trade lined up...something like Hutton + Baer for a young, play making C. By all means, I'd be far more open to Vilardi in that case as well as I think he'd look fantastic on Horvat's W, eventually on the 2nd line.

I like how your coming around to the idea. The memorial cup should help. He's Windsor's best player at 17. 

5 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I like how your coming around to the idea. The memorial cup should help. He's Windsor's best player at 17. 

My position hasn't changed.

Good player, don't see him on the Canucks shopping list with other options available but perfectly ok if Benning does. 

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Good player, don't see him on the Canucks shopping list with other options available but perfectly ok if Benning does. 

I'd be okay if Canuck management picks Vilardi. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Well if they pass on him at #3 pick or later, it will be a sad day for the franchise in my opinion.

I know Glass and Necas and Vilardi have been getting a lot of talk recently. But for me, I still go with what I've said before here that if we pick 3rd overall, we have to draft Casey Mittlestadt. IMO, he's the most offensively gifted player in the top 10 Dynamic skater, great hockey IQ, electric, size and skill. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

could we find a chart detailing total points by age in the OHL and showing only 17 year old players like Vilardi?

Basing his production against only 17 and 18 year old players would be a FAR better benchmark for his draft class than basing him against a league of 19 and 20 year old players.

Because 42nd in points in the OHL at age 17 with 61 points in 49 games isn't terrible.  But how is that production vs other 17 and 18 year old players is what I'd really like to know

He is ranked 3rd in ppg of 17 year olds in the draft. Top 2 is Suzuki and Tippet respectively. Also it's surprising how drastically Suzuki has the ppg lead over the rest. 

Edited by The Great 8
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

I know Glass and Necas and Vilardi have been getting a lot of talk recently. But for me, I still go with what I've said before here that if we pick 3rd overall, we have to draft Casey Mittlestadt. IMO, he's the most offensively gifted player in the top 10 Dynamic skater, great hockey IQ, electric, size and skill. 

Nobody knows if it will translate though, otherwise it would be a no brainer. The guy played high school, I'm not saying he will or won't but we cannot have a 3 OA pick bust. 

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

could we find a chart detailing total points by age in the OHL and showing only 17 year old players like Vilardi?

Basing his production against only 17 and 18 year old players would be a FAR better benchmark for his draft class than basing him against a league of 19 and 20 year old players.

Because 42nd in points in the OHL at age 17 with 61 points in 49 games isn't terrible.  But how is that production vs other 17 and 18 year old players is what I'd really like to know

This is sorted by primary points per game. 17-18 year old OHL Forwards with > 10GP

Prospect-Stats.pdf

You can sort by different metrics here: http://prospect-stats.com/OHL/2016/forwards/

For example:

Owen Tippet 2.58
Ivan Lodnia 2.43
Nick Suzuki 2.34
and Jonah Gadjovich 2.32

All have better primary points per 60 stats at 5v5 than Vilardi 2.26. Primary points per game played Vilardi is second best to Tippet. 

Side note: Robert Thomas was the best playmaking centre at 5v5 in the OHL this year for draft eligible guys. If we include last years draft class from the OHL as well, he is 4th best behind only Taylor Raddysh, Alex Debrincat, and Kevin Hancock (Second year eligible guy we should be looking at). If we look at the whole OHL for primary assists per 60 at 5v5 Robert Thomas is 4th best as a 17 year old. You want a playmaking centre, who is good in the circle? This is the guy.

Also we should take a flyer on this guy if he's around in the 4th or 7th:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=311556

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Odd. said:

After Tryamkin bolting for the KHL and seeing so many NCAA kids opting for free agency or back in to the draft to ensure the team they want to play on is theirs...you sure you wanna risk a top 5 pick on a kid that could just walk or bolt to America's siberia in Minnesota?

9 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

He is ranked 3rd in ppg of 17 year olds in the draft. Top 2 is Suzuki and Tippet respectively. Also it's surprising how drastically Suzuki has the ppg lead over the rest. 

Yup someone else just found that info

8th in PPG 18 and under having played with 13 line mates this year alone as a 17 year old.  Someone says that is overrated?  Come on.  almost 6 foot 3 200+ pound C/W that wins draws 

I'd take him

Are there any teams with multiple first round picks this year? If we fall out of the top 4, I wouldnt be opposed to trading down even if its mid first round and trying to persuade a team into 2 first rounders plus maybe a 2nd. Tough to guage value of 5oa in this draft so not entirely sure if it would be at all possible.

Trade Sutter for a late first and Tanev for a top 10. 

I dont see JB being this agressive but we need to stock up on 1st rounders as much as possible. I understand that many dont feel this is a great draft due to the lack of elite high end talent but there are plenty of talented guys available in the first round outside the top 10.

Heiskanen

Vesalainen

Comtois

Foote

Suzuki

Kostin

Popugayev

Edited by sean_p47
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd be okay if Canuck management picks Vilardi. 

As would I. I don't think they do though. I think they go for a Mittelstadt, Necas or trade down and get Suzuki + or similar. Or package it for a more established 20-22 C

Edited by J.R.

Did not get to watch many junior games this year or even highlights but this is my grain of salt draft opinion:

1 - Patrick - How can we not be scared of his injuries?

2 - Hischier - Not convinced he will be able to make the jump out of the draft.

3 - Vilardi - Very high on him but I think we would have to be patient to get the most out of his dev. I would not want to throw him into the NHL right away and limit his potential, I see a taller Bo Horvat with a higher offensive ceiling at the time of draft and next year he will dominate the OHL showing he can dominate in all three zones

4 - Liljegren - Reminds me of Chychrun a little from last year in ranking decline, not in style or potential, think he's best D in draft and maybe even NHL ready

5 - Necas - (Never Watched - here purely based on league play and other rankings and what I have read)

6 - Glass - If a team grabs him after 5 they are getting a steal considering this draft, think he could easily go 3rd overall

7/8 - Suzuki/Makar (Never watched Makar) - Suzuki imo is super underated, team will be lucky to get him anywhere after 5 / Makar same as Necas never watched

9 - Tippet - If we didn't have Boeser and Virtanen maybe I would be higher on him

10 - Mittelstadt - Like everyone above more than him

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

As would I. I don't think they do though. I think they go for a Mittelstadt, Necas or trade down and get Suzuki + or similar. Or package it for a more established 20-22 C

I would be very okay with trading down for Glass or Suzuki 

8 hours ago, Derp... said:

This is sorted by primary points per game. 17-18 year old OHL Forwards with > 10GP

Prospect-Stats.pdf

You can sort by different metrics here: http://prospect-stats.com/OHL/2016/forwards/

For example:

Owen Tippet 2.58
Ivan Lodnia 2.43
Nick Suzuki 2.34
and Jonah Gadjovich 2.32

All have better primary points per 60 stats at 5v5 than Vilardi 2.26. Primary points per game played Vilardi is second best to Tippet. 

Side note: Robert Thomas was the best playmaking centre at 5v5 in the OHL this year for draft eligible guys. If we include last years draft class from the OHL as well, he is 4th best behind only Taylor Raddysh, Alex Debrincat, and Kevin Hancock (Second year eligible guy we should be looking at). If we look at the whole OHL for primary assists per 60 at 5v5 Robert Thomas is 4th best as a 17 year old. You want a playmaking centre, who is good in the circle? This is the guy.

Also we should take a flyer on this guy if he's around in the 4th or 7th:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=311556

Great stat line. You are turning me into an even more Robert Thomas fan!