The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

Vilardi seems to be that one player we have every draft that people obsess over because of his size. 

61 points in 49 games in the high-scoring OHL is pretty mediocre for a top 5 pick. 

He may have soft hands but so did Kyle Wellwood. 

There are more things than his size that people rave about.

He isn't a speed demon by any means but he is probably one of the best players in all 3 zones and at protecting the puck in those tough areas within our draft range.

His coach speaks very highly of him.

""The enhanced stats tell us [Vilardi] is the engine on this team because whoever plays with him, their Corsi numbers go straight up and are increased," [Windsor coach Rocky] Thompson said. "Without him, they drop significantly. We've had a ton of injuries this year so it's been a revolving door with our lines but the one common theme has been Vilardi's ability to make the players with him even better.""

I am not by any means set on wanting to pick Vilardi. I just try to outweigh the pros and cons of the players in our range and who would fit the team better.

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

There are more things than his size that people rave about.

He isn't a speed demon by any means but he is probably one of the best players in all 3 zones and at protecting the puck in those tough areas within our draft range.

His coach speaks very highly of him.

I am not by any means set on wanting to pick Vilardi. I just try to outweigh the pros and cons of the players in our range and who would fit the team better.

Wouldn't you say this team is in dire need of a top line player? Or at least a prospect who projects to reach top line production? I don't see the point in drafting a Bo lite now that Bo's taken the next step and has filled the 2C role. 

Just now, guntrix said:

Wouldn't you say this team is in dire need of a top line player? Or at least a prospect who projects to reach top line production? I don't see the point in drafting a Bo lite now that Bo's taken the next step and has filled the 2C role. 

Yes of course.

The only real point producers I see are Hischier and Patrick or at least the highest probabilities at being point producers.

IDK if Vilardi is a Bo-lite. They do share a same deficiency being top end speed at their draft year.

I feel after 1-2 that there are a lot of centers at the same level in term of potential. Obviously I am likely wrong about that and one, two or even a few of those players after picks 1-2 will stand out amoung the rest in our range, I am not a scout and have not gone in depth about it too much so I don't have enough credibility to speculate who'd be the best at #3.

if we do not draft either 1-2 then I hope Benning can find the best player in that range. He said he wanted a playmaking center or PP defenseman. I'd pass on the defenseman this draft considering who's available next draft.

I don't think Vilardi would be the best fit personally. We need a center who is more dynamic offensively and is a lot better in transition since that's a huge drawback of our team. Best fit IMO would be Hischier, I hope we're able to draft top 2.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Canuck nation thinks vilardi mittelstadt is in the top 5? They will not be drafted in the top 5. 

Who would be there then? Most scouts and professionals seem to agree. IMO, if Mittlestadt played in the USHL the whole year he would be in talks for 1st overall. 

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Vilardi seems to be that one player we have every draft that people obsess over because of his size. 

61 points in 49 games in the high-scoring OHL is pretty mediocre for a top 5 pick. 

He may have soft hands but so did Kyle Wellwood. 

Have you seen Vilardi play? If not Maybe be you should watch him play before you stat watch... the guy is a beast. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Have you seen Vilardi play? If not Maybe be you should watch him play before you stat watch... the guy is a beast. 

Scored the last goal for the spits to tie it up on the PP.  Was quarterback ing from down low. Never seen that before.  Also was the one who drew the penalty. 

26 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Who would be there then? Most scouts and professionals seem to agree. IMO, if Mittlestadt played in the USHL the whole year he would be in talks for 1st overall. 

Mittelstadt seems like this years Keller. If we get Vilardi, Mittelstadt or to a lesser extent Glass I'll be happy. This draft isn't all that bad if we can land a top 5 pick. New Jersey has to stop sucking! 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Scored the last goal for the spits to tie it up on the PP.  Was quarterback ing from down low. Never seen that before.  Also was the one who drew the penalty. 

I honestly think Vilardi could be the best player in the draft. We should do everything in our power to get him. Him and Bo and Gaudette as our 3 centres would be awesome. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I honestly think Vilardi could be the best player in the draft. We should do everything in our power to get him. Him and Bo and Gaudette as our 3 centres would be awesome. 

I live in windsor and to be honest haven't watched many games this year but from what I can see this kid is the real deal. May not be as offensively talented as patrick or Hischier but doesn't have the injury or dzone issues those 2 carry with their reputation. I see pavelski in him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

I live in windsor and to be honest haven't watched many games this year but from what I can see this kid is the real deal. May not be as offensively talented as patrick or Hischier but doesn't have the injury or dzone issues those 2 carry with their reputation. I see pavelski in him.

I'm glad you agree bro. Now we just have to convince JB. That's if Vilardi is still around when we pick....

I watched the first 2 games in the London vs Windsor series and Vilardi was probably the best player on the ice. Quite the feat for a 17 year old playing in a series with a lot of high draft picks.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Necas, Peterson, tippet or Timothy L.

I think it's Vilardi's speed and mediocre stats don't have me believing he could become a 1rst line player. I do like Mittelstadt and wouldn't be upset with him around 5th pick but every guy you mentioned I like more then Valardi! Knowing how drafts never go the way I want we'll probably pass on all these guys for Valardi.

16 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think it's Vilardi's speed and mediocre stats don't have me believing he could become a 1rst line player. I do like Mittelstadt and wouldn't be upset with him around 5th pick but every guy you mentioned I like more then Valardi! Knowing how drafts never go the way I want we'll probably pass on all these guys for Valardi.

same feeling man

21 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Everyone not on board with Vilardi probably hasn't seen him play.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I like Vilardi a lot. Would be ecstatic if we left the draft with him.

conceptually that would be great down the middle.

In a perfect world:

Baerstchi-Horvat-Boeser

Dahlen-Vilardi-Virtanen 

Gaunce-Gaudette-Goldobin

• Upvote 2