The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Since the draft is now a lottery, there's no gaurantee that if we're last, we get 1st overall. We could finish dead last, and by the lack of the luck of the draw, pick 2nd, which wouldn't be bad, just pick the Russian (what's his name? hehe) as the franchise centreman. I want Dahlin so badly too. He would change the complex of this franchise and the team. Would finally be the franchise dman this franchise has been looking for since it's inception into the NHL.

He'd be a pretty good consolation prize. So if the Canucks were ever going to be the worst team in the league and have the best lottery odds next year is the year.

I cant see how we're not a horrible team next season as well.  So Im not overly bias on whether we go with D or C.  

My top 7.

Hischier (Star potential.  Worth admission $$)

Vilardi (Underrated imo, untapped upside.  Best bet to become well rounded #1 C)

Patrick (Injury Prone, I think he's a gamble.  No doubt if healthy should become #1 C, but health issues could impede development)

Liljegren (top pair potential, already playing vs men.  Should transition nicely to NA.  Should make for a fabulous partner for Juolevi)

Mittelstadt (Loads o skill, buttery hands, great vision.  All around game is still a ?)

Makar (LOVE the way he skates and generates offence.  Shifty puck carrier, great hands, utilizes clapper, snap, and wrister effectively.  Good vision.  One of the best offensive Ds from the last few drafts imo.  Needs testing vs better competition.)

Necas (Smart fast playmaker.  David Krejci like player)

45 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I cant see how we're not a horrible team next season as well.  So Im not overly bias on whether we go with D or C.  

My top 7.

Hischier (Star potential.  Worth admission $$)

Vilardi (Underrated imo, untapped upside.  Best bet to become well rounded #1 C)

Patrick (Injury Prone, I think he's a gamble.  No doubt if healthy should become #1 C, but health issues could impede development)

Liljegren (top pair potential, already playing vs men.  Should transition nicely to NA.  Should make for a fabulous partner for Juolevi)

Mittelstadt (Loads o skill, buttery hands, great vision.  All around game is still a ?)

Makar (LOVE the way he skates and generates offence.  Shifty puck carrier, great hands, utilizes clapper, snap, and wrister effectively.  Good vision.  One of the best offensive Ds from the last few drafts imo.  Needs testing vs better competition.)

Necas (Smart fast playmaker.  David Krejci like player)

I keep seeing this thrown out there. He has missed 25% of games in his WHL career but hernia surgery and broken collarbones will do that. I understand the apprehensiveness towards using a 1OA pick on him but look at Kesler. He is what 33 and has battled injury after injury and is still an effective hockey player.

Personally I would prefer Hischier for the dynamic offensive potential but I don't think Patirick's injury history will play too much into where he is drafted. They are a part of the game.

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I keep seeing this thrown out there. He has missed 25% of games in his WHL career but hernia surgery and broken collarbones will do that. I understand the apprehensiveness towards using a 1OA pick on him but look at Kesler. He is what 33 and has battled injury after injury and is still an effective hockey player.

Personally I would prefer Hischier for the dynamic offensive potential but I don't think Patirick's injury history will play too much into where he is drafted. They are a part of the game.

I actually met his uncle, he was pretty up front about a bunch of that.  Time missed due to bereavement leave, time missed due to supplemental discipline due to failing grades as per an agreement between his team, billet family and parents and then injuries.

My worry is that the injuries he HAS had are the kind that can plague a person later on in life regardless of how quickly young people heal.  They are injuries that via consistent and regular physical contact can keep cropping up or presenting potential issues later.  I don't have Patrick in my top 4 because of that.

He just seems like the perfect example of a guy with all of the promise and potential that could, through no fault of his own; not have a long career in the league.

Plus Hischier and Liljegren can go directly to Utica

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It really depends on who's available right? 

Say we fall to 7-8th pick. If that's the case, the following players are most likely gone: Hirschier, Patrick, Middlestadt, Vilardi, Lilegren, and probably Necas as well. Unless one or two of those teams go off the board, we aren't picking any of those guys unfortunately, especially if we fall out of the top five. IF we are in the top five, then we have the ability to pick up one of those players listed above. 

If those guys are gone than we happily take Pettersson, Glass or Makar. Honestly, after the top 2 there's very little separating any of the next 10 or so guys and any of them could easily out perform the other in their careers.

This is an interesting piece on why we should pick Middlestadt by Canucks Army. Some of the reasons provided to pick him is because we have a good track record of picking players from the USHL. We are in need of a playmaking center and lastly, he is very good. Another good reason I see why we should is because he's always creating plays while creating havoc with his speed, vision, and puck moving abilities. If we're picking outside the top 2, he seems to be a good pick as apparently he has surpassed Vilardi and Tippett. I'd be elated if we ended up with a kid of his caliber. Hischier or Patrick would bring more people into the arena and fill seats but if we don't pick one of them, Middlestadt looks to be a solid choice as well

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

My top 10 order for us:

1. Hischier

2. Patrick

3. Mittelstadt

4. Glass

5. Vilardi

6. Makar

7. Suzuki

8. Liljegren

9. Necas

10. Tippett

Mittelstadt and Glass are my favourite outside of the top 2. Cody Glass reminds me of Toews 

No matter how you slice it we're walking out of this draft with a very good prospect.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It really depends on who's available right? 

Say we fall to 7-8th pick. If that's the case, the following players are most likely gone: Hirschier, Patrick, Middlestadt, Vilardi, Lilegren, and probably Necas as well. Unless one or two of those teams go off the board, we aren't picking any of those guys unfortunately, especially if we fall out of the top five. IF we are in the top five, then we have the ability to pick up one of those players listed above. 

I think someone else goes off the board early on in the draft and takes Rasmussen, please, one can only hope haha...... like New Jersey

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

This is an interesting piece on why we should pick Middlestadt by Canucks Army. Some of the reasons provided to pick him is because we have a good track record of picking players from the USHL. We are in need of a playmaking center and lastly, he is very good. Another good reason I see why we should is because he's always creating plays while creating havoc with his speed, vision, and puck moving abilities. If we're picking outside the top 2, he seems to be a good pick as apparently he has surpassed Vilardi and Tippett. I'd be elated if we ended up with a kid of his caliber. Hischier or Patrick would bring more people into the arena and fill seats but if we don't pick one of them, Middlestadt looks to be a solid choice as well

I think it's funny how he definitely fits the bill of a "high risk/high reward pick" and his high school team is the "gamblers"

IMG_1104.JPG

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I think it's funny how he definitely fits the bill of a "high risk/high reward pick" and his high school team is the "gamblers"

IMG_1104.JPG

Are we ALL. IN. on Mittlestadt?

Pretty sure it's actually his USHL team the "Greenback Gamblers" or something like that.

:ph34r:

The real question. Which relatively unknown player will JB draft to the chagrin of everyone, only to see that player flourish and develop into a good prospect over the next 2 years.

Some Guesses:

Finn Evans http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=273619
Played in the OJHL this year, but will play at Princeton next year. Late August birthday, good size, at 6'2, but light at 176. (Same size as me basically lol)

Ryan Sandelin http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=311758
Played mostly high school hockey, but did well for team north and in the playoffs, will go to Minni State U. (Mankato) next year.

Jakub Galvas http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=236429
Strong U18 tournament for a D man, scored in the Czech Big leagues this year.

Filip Chytil http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=236806
Another good international player with points in the top Czech League

Ian Mitchell http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201362
5'10 Right shot D man who played in the AJHL this year, and will play at U of Denver next year

Mick Messner http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=309375
Low USHL numbers, but good international play, U of Wisconsin commit. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

My top 10 order for us:

1. Hischier

2. Patrick

3. Mittelstadt

4. Glass

5. Vilardi

6. Makar

7. Suzuki

8. Liljegren

9. Necas

10. Tippett

Mittelstadt and Glass are my favourite outside of the top 2. Cody Glass reminds me of Toews 

I am surprised Glass is not getting more attention. He looks like a great prospect for the Canucks. One knock on Vancouver over the years has been ignoring their own back yard (the WHL). Of course they got burned by the Virtanen pick (which was a mistake). But Glass looks good and had improved a lot this year, which is a very good sign.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Derp... said:

The real question. Which relatively unknown player will JB draft to the chagrin of everyone, only to see that player flourish and develop into a good prospect over the next 2 years.

Some Guesses:

Finn Evans http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=273619
Played in the OJHL this year, but will play at Princeton next year. Late August birthday, good size, at 6'2, but light at 176. (Same size as me basically lol)

Ryan Sandelin http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=311758
Played mostly high school hockey, but did well for team north and in the playoffs, will go to Minni State U. (Mankato) next year.

Jakub Galvas http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=236429
Strong U18 tournament for a D man, scored in the Czech Big leagues this year.

Filip Chytil http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=236806
Another good international player with points in the top Czech League

Ian Mitchell http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201362
5'10 Right shot D man who played in the AJHL this year, and will play at U of Denver next year

Mick Messner http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=309375
Low USHL numbers, but good international play, U of Wisconsin commit. 

I would love it if we draft Cody Glass with our first round pick. The mock draft site had us picking these guys but im sure like you said Benning will find a couple more gems that can compete for NHL spots in the future. 

1 5 Cody Glass C Portland (WHL) 6' 2" 179
2 36 Shane Bowers C Waterloo (USHL) 6' 0.75" 175
3 67 Jocktan Chainey D Halifax (QMJHL) 6' 1" 196
4 98 Joël Teasdale LW Blainville-Boisbriand (QMJHL) 5' 11" 197
4 118 Mark Rubinchik D Saskatoon (WHL) 6' 0.5" 165
7 191 Tomas Vomacka G Corpus Christi (NAHL) 6' 3" 170

9 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I am surprised Glass is not getting more attention. He looks like a great prospect for the Canucks. One knock on Vancouver over the years has been ignoring their own back yard (the WHL). Of course they got burned by the Virtanen pick (which was a mistake). But Glass looks good and had improved a lot this year, which is a very good sign.

Glass is also showing the maturity of a player who can be an NHL pro, Unlike a young Virtanen. 

Vilardi seems to be that one player we have every draft that people obsess over because of his size. 

61 points in 49 games in the high-scoring OHL is pretty mediocre for a top 5 pick. 

He may have soft hands but so did Kyle Wellwood. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Vilardi seems to be that one player we have every draft that people obsess over because of his size. 

61 points in 49 games in the high-scoring OHL is pretty mediocre for a top 5 pick. 

He may have soft hands but so did Kyle Wellwood. 

That's probably who JB is picking this next draft