The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He has all the makings of a fan favourite type of player on the fourth line or bottom six in the NHL.

The CA write up offers a good scouting report and this section is probably worth quoting and posting here:

“Lockwood is a talented bottom-sixer. In many ways, he’s a coach’s dream in that role. He brings energy through his ever-running motor, he makes opponents keep their heads up at all times, he’s smart enough to kill penalties, he buries the puck in the offensive zone with his forechecking, and he’s speedy and opportunistic enough to capitalize on mistakes and turn the puck back in the other direction. His offensive skills may not be anything to write home about, but his goal-scoring at lower levels suggests he’ll still pick up his fair share of points.

The name that keeps popping up when it comes to Canuck comparables is Jannik Hansen, and it’s hard not to see it. Like Hansen, Lockwood could wind up being one of those players that is infinitely more useful than his stat line might suggest. The kind of player who might not be a household name, but who every opponent knows and dreads playing against.”

100% agree.  These are the kinds of players teams win Cups with in their bottom six.  

• Cheers 1

On 8/26/2021 at 8:27 AM, Alflives said:

Through injury is the likely way that happens.  Motte goes down again, and Lockwood takes that role.  

Another thing is that Lockwood will put huge pressure on third and fourth liners who make the mistake of thinking their job is locked down. No more Virtanen’s!

On D, even with Juolevi being subject to waivers, Rathbone will push the bottom four D to earn a spot. From watching both in Utica, Rathbone is the better defender on either side of the puck, but he does not have Juolevi’s size, and with Hughes already struggling defensively on the left side, another smallish D may be problematic for Green.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 7:52 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

One thing the article doesn’t mention, and doesn’t get talked about too much these days, is that Lockwood actually has incredible chemistry with Quinn Hughes. 

He was one of the few players on that Michigan team who could always keep up with Quinn on the ice, both with his feet and, perhaps more importantly, his brain.

EDIT: I just mention this because it speaks to Lockwood’s ability to “hang” with elite players, even if he’s not elite in his own skill level. Beyond just good wheels and work ethic, he really has a knack for reading and anticipating plays made at a high level. Many bottom-six/depth guys just don’t have this characteristic, and it limits their effectiveness, and creates a ceiling, as to where they can play and who they can play with. Similar to Hansen, I could see Lockwood succeeding in dovetailing his game into that of more talented players, and knowing where and when to bring tenacity and effort that can truly compliment elite level skilled guys.

Don't forget that Lockwood was not a bottom six player in college! Lockwood was our best forward and Quinn was our best defenceman that year - so let's not make it too big of a deal that the top forward could "keep up" with the top defenceman haha

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Man, this is sad.

I really liked Lockwood's game

I think the waiver exemption got him

I think it sends a bad message to the prospects

But....as Joe says...in Benning we trust!

Damn it!

I think it's been a good message to Lockwood that he was one of the last cuts.  

Wouldn't be shocked to see him called up this year, good step forward for him so far.