The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] F Taylor Hall to Devils for D Adam Larsson

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

Source that Hall is?

I don't really believe that Hall is a "cancer", but his reaction to the trade is a bit telling, IMO.

Instead of looking at it for what it was, (a GM paying a high price to address an organizational need) he chose to look at it as an "indictment" of his play. I don't for a second believe that Chiarelli was dumping Hall because of his play.

Hall was the one guy he had that would fetch the return he wanted. (It's all well and good to say he should have traded Nuge or Yak instead, but those guys weren't going to land the player he wanted)

To me, Hall's reaction suggests a player with a chip on his shoulder. I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing, (Kesler has the same type of demeanor) but it offers some explanation for why some people would consider Taylor a "me first" type of player.

9 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I don't understand why they traded Hall of all players, although I understand why they targeted Adam Larsson. 

I'm guessing it was Hall because he was part of the Oilers rebuild part 1,....I also think they would have got worse value if they traded RNH or Eberle.(hardly worth mentioning Yak) for a D....A lot of the Oilers roster are tainted goods from years of losing.

Larsson has a big upside,and is young...and is the kind of player that Edmonton has neglected to cultivate (for almost a decade).

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

For those still wondering about Larsson, here's comments on him from Oates, who coached him in New Jersey:

http://oilersnation.com/2016/6/30/what-will-larsson-bring-to-oilers

Top pairing right hand D are pretty valuable, even if Hall is the better piece.

In other words, Larsson isn't necessarily a top-pairing guy.  Do the Oilers have the "right system"?  Perhaps not unless McClellan changes them into the Devils, because Katz wants the 80s Oilers back.  Sounded rather lukewarm in his appraisal.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

In other words, Larsson isn't necessarily a top-pairing guy.  Do the Oilers have the "right system"?  Perhaps not unless McClellan changes them into the Devils, because Katz wants the 80s Oilers back.  Sounded rather lukewarm in his appraisal.

Not in all situations he's not, but he's damn close, and he's only 24. There's still time.

36 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't really believe that Hall is a "cancer", but his reaction to the trade is a bit telling, IMO.

Instead of looking at it for what it was, (a GM paying a high price to address an organizational need) he chose to look at it as an "indictment" of his play. I don't for a second believe that Chiarelli was dumping Hall because of his play.

Hall was the one guy he had that would fetch the return he wanted. (It's all well and good to say he should have traded Nuge or Yak instead, but those guys weren't going to land the player he wanted)

To me, Hall's reaction suggests a player with a chip on his shoulder. I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing, (Kesler has the same type of demeanor) but it offers some explanation for why some people would consider Taylor a "me first" type of player.

I really think Hall was a cancer. On the ice, he was a good cookie. Off the ice, who the hell knows. He could've beena party freak who loved his teammates more than anything but didn't have a winning mentality. That probably played a part into why Hall was traded and not anybody else

I just have to know

How the fricking hell do people think Lucic is a "replacement" for Hall?

Hall will outscore him by 20-30-40 points every season of his career, he's a pure 1st line LW on any team in the league making $6 million a year, less or comparable to some 2nd line players and 3-4 D men.

Lucic will be north of $6 million and aside from being a brute will not bring what Hall does in terms of pure speed and skill.

come on guys; I get why you're saying ti but no....not a replacement.  Just a different body because Hall won't be replaced easily

46 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I just have to know

How the fricking hell do people think Lucic is a "replacement" for Hall?

Hall will outscore him by 20-30-40 points every season of his career, he's a pure 1st line LW on any team in the league making $6 million a year, less or comparable to some 2nd line players and 3-4 D men.

Lucic will be north of $6 million and aside from being a brute will not bring what Hall does in terms of pure speed and skill.

come on guys; I get why you're saying ti but no....not a replacement.  Just a different body because Hall won't be replaced easily

Definitely not a replacement. Looch fills another "organizational need", that of team toughness, something that Chiarelli has been trying to add to, since he got to Edmonton. (Same reason he traded for Maroon last year) 

Hall's points will have to be replaced "by committee" with guys like Nuge, Eberle, McDavid and Draisaitl all picking up their share of the slack. They might not completely replace Taylor's numbers, but if the defense is improved, they may not have to.

55 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I really think Hall was a cancer. On the ice, he was a good cookie. Off the ice, who the hell knows. He could've beena party freak who loved his teammates more than anything but didn't have a winning mentality. That probably played a part into why Hall was traded and not anybody else

Well, consider this glowing recommendation from McDavid as his roommate after his rookie year:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/connor-mcdavid-upset-to-see-hall-leave

"Change is exciting, but at the same time it’s upsetting to see a teammate, a dear friend and my roommate go. It’s a little bit of a different feeling right now.

“I want to express thanks for all that he’s done for me because he’s done so much. I’ll never really know how I can repay him, or if I’ll ever be able to, for what he’s done for me this year. He’s a guy who took me under his wing right away. It’s hard to explain how much that means to me.”

Doesn't sound like a cancer to me.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thereby, Gudbranson still has top-pairing potential as well?

Not because of what I was just talking about with Larsson, but yeah, if Guddy can figure out some offence I'd absolutely consider him as a top pairing D since he's very strong defensively. Larsson already has the package figured out, but needs a little help implementing it. As he figures the implementation out on his own as well he could be a top pairing D anywhere.

Makes Oilers better going forward. They'll add Lucic at LW to replace Hall. Hall $ going out makes signing Lucic possible. 

Oilers fans over reacted on Twitter.  Most have never watched Larsson play. RH top pair D man at 23 years who is only getting better is no easy get in the NHL. 

36 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

There was for anyone who understands the value of a talented 1st round pick and a very high 2nd round pick.

The value of 1st round picks... white, hodgson, schroeder, jensen, shinkaruk etc and the lasttime a 2nd rounder cracked our roster was raymond so its hard to put soo much value on it. Rather have a proven top 4 in our roster.

How Edmonton didn't get more in this trade baffles me. I understand the fact that they needed to move someone because most likely they will sign Milan Lucic. However, the fact that they moved Hall for just one piece...does not make much sense.

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Makes Oilers better going forward. They'll add Lucic at LW to replace Hall. Hall $ going out makes signing Lucic possible. 

Oilers fans over reacted on Twitter.  Most have never watched Larsson play. RH top pair D man at 23 years who is only getting better is no easy get in the NHL. 

Yeah. I'm glad Shero insisted on Hall, but Larsson has a lot of potential. Lucic has the makings of a Semenko or McSorley for McDavid, but with more offensive talent. Then, there's Puljujarvi. 

Still, I'm very happy for my Devils. 

Archived