The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks future 1C

MeanSeanBean

Future 1C  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The way I look at it, there are only 3 options for Hanks replacement when the time comes. A 4th being FA, but I just don't see that happening.  I'm curious to what CDC thinks the most likely scenario is. 

1. Development. A current player or prospect in the organization takes the necessary developmental steps to become a true number 1. Bo Horvat seems like the logically choice here with the departure of McCann. Other players who in theory could possibly (though unlikely) become too line players include Granlund, Gaunce, Cassels, Zhukenov ect.

2. Draft. Over the next year or two the organization finds itself in the position to draft a top line C. 

3. Trade. Canucks trade for a young player or a prospect that has potential to become the next go to guy. Players like RNH and Duchene come to mind. But other possibilities I have played with in my own mind include Granlund or Nyquist. Or literally anyone else in the NHL. Because of our lack of bargaining chips, for a trade like this to take place I think the twins would have to be involved going to a team making a huge push for the cup. 

Personally, I think it's Bo. The kid is the real deal and has a ton of offensive potential that he's just starting to tap into at the NHL level. After that I think someone will step up, either currently in the organization or otherwise and become a solid offensive minded 2C. Something kinda like a Chicago situation. If it's not Bo I think the player comes from the draft and Bo becomes a top 2C in the league. 

It has to be Bo by default as we have no other first line center prospect in the pipeline. IMO, Bo isn't a first line center, but he's all we have.

Don't think we have the assets to trade for a first line center prospect either, unless we gut what top end prospects or first pairing d-men we have now.

25 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

The way I look at it, there are only 3 options for Hanks replacement when the time comes. A 4th being FA, but I just don't see that happening.  I'm curious to what CDC thinks the most likely scenario is. 

1. Development. A current player or prospect in the organization takes the necessary developmental steps to become a true number 1. Bo Horvat seems like the logically choice here with the departure of McCann. Other players who in theory could possibly (though unlikely) become too line players include Granlund, Gaunce, Cassels, Zhukenov ect.

2. Draft. Over the next year or two the organization finds itself in the position to draft a top line C. 

3. Trade. Canucks trade for a young player or a prospect that has potential to become the next go to guy. Players like RNH and Duchene come to mind. But other possibilities I have played with in my own mind include Granlund or Nyquist. Or literally anyone else in the NHL. Because of our lack of bargaining chips, for a trade like this to take place I think the twins would have to be involved going to a team making a huge push for the cup. 

Personally, I think it's Bo. The kid is the real deal and has a ton of offensive potential that he's just starting to tap into at the NHL level. After that I think someone will step up, either currently in the organization or otherwise and become a solid offensive minded 2C. Something kinda like a Chicago situation. If it's not Bo I think the player comes from the draft and Bo becomes a top 2C in the league. 

Unfortunately you will never be able to make a trade for another teams top line center when they are making a cup run. It's their first line center. Just doesn't make any sense at all. You can trade for prospects and picks but that's no guarantee.

I see a lot of potential in BoHo as a future 1C. He plays a very similar "bull in the china closet" game like Doug Gilmour. The kind of numbers Horvat puts up will all depend on who he plays with and who the 2C is. The emergence of Kesler as a 2C took a lot of pressure off of Hank.

Already got one in the making.

Henrik Sedin 1st NHL season: 82GP    9G    20A    29P

Henrik Sedin 2nd NHL season: 82GP    16G    20A    36P

Bo Horvat 1st NHL season: 68GP    13G   12A    25P (prorated to 82GP 16G 15A 31P)

Bo Horvat 2nd NHL season:  82GP    16G    24A    40P

19 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I see a lot of potential in BoHo as a future 1C. He plays a very similar "bull in the china closet" game like Doug Gilmour. The kind of numbers Horvat puts up will all depend on who he plays with and who the 2C is. The emergence of Kesler as a 2C took a lot of pressure off of Hank.

Well said.  I agree with assessment that a lot of Bo's future production depends on who he is playing with...can't do it all by himself.  He has a ceiling similar to Kelser's...nothing wrong with that.

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well said.  I agree with assessment that a lot of Bo's future production depends on who he is playing with...can't do it all by himself.  He has a ceiling similar to Kelser's...nothing wrong with that.

I see a similar role for Bo as well (re: Kesler). He'll be 2C on the lineup chart but likely lead all forwards in TOI when he hits his prime (due to 5v5 matching against the opposition first line, PP, and PK).

Hoping to still acquire an elite scoring centre for future 1C duties (hopefully via the draft).

8 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Bo Horvat 1st NHL season: 68GP    13G   12A    25P (prorated to 82GP 16G 15A 31P)

I'm pretty sure Hank didn't have to get those 40 points matching up against the 2nd best lines in the league. He also had to pack a drowned vrbata.  People are sleeping on this kid. Wakey wakey!

To me, Bo is capable of being a No.1 center in the NHL, however, I voted draft because to me if we want to be contenders we need another big center who can produce at or above a point per game at the NHL level. All good cup contending teams have a 1A and 1B. I hope we do ended up drafting an elite player that can produce offensively with Bo being the Selke style 2-way shut-down center supporting him.

40 minutes ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

I'm pretty sure Hank didn't have to get those 40 points matching up against the 2nd best lines in the league. He also had to pack a drowned vrbata.  People are sleeping on this kid. Wakey wakey!

You think Bo will drop Hank-like numbers in his prime? I'm sure he can be a 50-70 point guy but Hank in his prime was something else. 

ok in my opinion not that it matters or written in stone..i love bo. but but but !! ive seen both him and brock play. bo is not even a 5 compared to brock on a scale of 1 to 10 . brock is a true beast, better in all aspects compared to bo...sorry bo if u reading this still love ya but brock is the man. bo will be a  second line center his whole nhl career..

Horvat may end up that player, but I believe he is more likely to be better suited in an elite 2nd line center role.  (Ie: Kesler). 

We don't have much in way of assets for a trade, so if excess talent remains equally bleak, I don't see getting that center via a trade.

I think the most likely scenario is to get the center via drafting, but it will take a few years for him to even see the big club.

The last option I don't think was brought up at the time of me writing this is the possibility of UFA.  Granted, that chance is slim.

Defining what #1 center is, isn’t an easy task.  I think the problem  when people think of a #1 center players like Crosby, McDavid and Tavares always jump to people’s minds.  There are many different types of centers in the league, so thinking we need an exact replacement for our once 110 point Henrik isn’t exactly a reality.      

Skilled, playmaking center. 

Not overly fast of physical, thrives on the power play and it able to put up points. 

Sedin, Thornton, Backstrom, Spezza, Kuznetsov, Reinhart, RNH

Goal Scoring Center

A fast skating center that likes to score goals. 

Stamkos, Carter, McKinnon

All around Offense Lite

An offensive focussed center that can score and set up plays.  Not very physical, doesn’t have extremely strong defensive play and often inconsistent from year to year performance.

Duchene, Turris, Kadri, Koivu, Galchenyak, Monahan, Scheifele

All around offense Elite

Can score or make plays, has some grit to their game and is able to put up bigger offensive numbers. Not overly strong in the defensive zone

Giroux, Pavelski, Johansen, Draisaitl

2 way center Elite

They can play in both ends of the ice, they can shut down the best players as well as score timely goals.  They also have offensive to their game and can put up around 65-80 points in a season.

Bergeron, Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf and could probably make a case for Barkov, and Matthews reaching this level,

2 way center Lite

Two way centers that can’t drive the play as much as “2 way center Elite”,  they aren’t quite as offensively as gifted and will put up 55-65 points in a year. 

Kesler, O’Reilly, Backes

All Around Elite

Has the ability to do it all.  Score, Pass and drive the play game in and game out.  These are the rare breeds that don’t enter the league every year.

Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, McDavid, Seguin

Some of the younger players might be able to develop new skills that would put then into new categories.  Example, right now Monahan and Scheifele are in the “All around Offense Lite” category but as they get older and bigger they could develop into the “All around offense Elite“ or “2 way center Elite”.  Same with Bo, right now most have him pegged into the “2 way center Lite” but if he turns up the offensive he could be put into the “2 way center Elite”

Once you break down the categories centers can be placed it you can start to see how other teams acquired those players.  For example “All Around Elite” & “Skilled, playmaking center” tend to come from picks in the top 3 of the draft, but have been traded before.   2 way center Lite” tend to be players picked in the late first/second round picks, also very tradable.  In a dream world we get a  All Around Elite” but those players are rare and are based on pure luck on getting with the new draft lottery.

Very depressing to see the lack of quality C's in our organization.

I realize that we had poor drafting position due to the power of our club.  Still we should have found better skill in our draft choices Centres over the last 10 years.

Yes i am a Bo fan but wow we didn't find much in the draft previously. It is definitely going to bite us in the butt in the next 5 yrs...

55 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

This is true.  Much like how the lack of Pirates is causing global warming

w1467103173.jpg

Bo could be the guy. He's got the heart, and his ceiling may be high enough. Depends more on the 1LW imo. The 1st line problem to solve might be:

__?____ - Horvat - Boeser

It should be "easier" to find a 1LW than a 1C given how these guys tend to go quickly in the draft. 

Archived