The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Bo Horvat need a mentor and if so who do you go and get?

Noseforthenet

13 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Snow would be fired instantly if he ever traded Tavares away. Tavares is the Islanders franchise player and you don't just trade away a franchise player for nothing. Be prepared to give up at least 2 first round picks, two of Boeser, Demko, Juolevi, Sutter, Tryamkin, or Stecher and maybe even more and that won't be enough.

Besides, he gets the least press because he plays for a team nobody really talks about or likes to talk about. Especially this season when they're not doing so well

This has nothing to do with a trade. Taveres is a free agent this summer and there is a pretty fair chance he won't be an Islander next year. Especially if he hasn't signed an extention by the trade deadline. 

5 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

This has nothing to do with a trade. Taveres is a free agent this summer and there is a pretty fair chance he won't be an Islander next year. Especially if he hasn't signed an extention by the trade deadline. 

Tavares UFA after next season. 

I said on here for cpl years now I think he'll sign in TO. He's an Ontario boy and Leafs rebuild is coming along nicely. They can trade 1 of their young forwards for a top pair Dman and sign Tavares.. They'll look real good after that. Perfect match. 

Bo has a mentor. His name is Henrik. Seriously, who do you think Bo sees holding himself accountable to the media and to the fans after a tough loss. Who do you think Bo sees handling himself in the locker room. Do you honestly think Henrik not rubbing off on him? He takes responsibility seriously, work out more, tries to work with the press, after hockey charities. Henrik sees a game in an offensive way and I may not be a season ticket holder, I do notice them talking on the bench a lot. You are not going to get a better mentor than the Sedins. Henrik will probably be one of the first to congratulate him, then push him as to what it takes to be a first line centerman.

The Sedins are the mentor for all the young players including Horvat.

And just generally the leadership group of guys like Edler/Burrows that have grown around the leadership of the Sedins over the years. 

We have 2 of the best leaders in the league. Why would we want to trade for anyone else that would be a stop gap?

Horvat has grown into it so well because of atmosphere created by the Sedins and the Gillis era leadership core, along with Benning & Linden bringing in some great guys on top of that. 

I think playing with Burrows his helping him in some different ways, but we certainly don't need anymore help. He is one of the leaders on this team already, he doesn't need to be mentored. 

2 hours ago, LarsEller said:

Uh... Tavares has one year left on his contract. This is 100% to do with a trade.

On 11/26/2016 at 0:11 PM, Pickly said:

Mentors or the like I think are overrated. Jonathan Toews is arguably the best captain in the NHL and he never had a mentor. The Sedins are pretty damn good guys to learn from though so Bo is fortunate enough to have them.

He had Joel Quenneville

3 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

I respectfully disagree.  As good as he is right now, Bo's a role model for other young players, but not a mentor... yet.  They're not the same thing.

A mentor is defined as an experienced and trusted adviser.  So Bo's not there yet, experience-wise.

Sedins, Burrows, Miller?

Did Kane, Crosby, Toews, Mathews, McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Gudreau, Schieffle, Domi, etc., have any better???:sadno:

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The Sedins are the mentor for all the young players including Horvat.

And just generally the leadership group of guys like Edler/Burrows that have grown around the leadership of the Sedins over the years. 

We have 2 of the best leaders in the league. Why would we want to trade for anyone else that would be a stop gap?

Horvat has grown into it so well because of atmosphere created by the Sedins and the Gillis era leadership core, along with Benning & Linden bringing in some great guys on top of that. 

I think playing with Burrows his helping him in some different ways, but we certainly don't need anymore help. He is one of the leaders on this team already, he doesn't need to be mentored. 

Ditto.

5 hours ago, hearditall said:

Sedins, Burrows, Miller?

Did Kane, Crosby, Toews, Mathews, McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Gudreau, Schieffle, Domi, etc., have any better???:sadno:

Not sure why you're bringing up all those names.  There's a disconnect between my comment and your reply.  First you said Bo IS a mentor.  I simply disagreed because under the definition of a mentor, Bo isn't experienced enough yet (in NHL play).  I mean really, he hasn't gone through the wars (playoffs) yet or achieved anything at the league level yet, like the Sedins have.  I did say he's a great role model though, which isn't the same as a mentor.

I already said earlier (page 2) that Bo had great mentors in the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, and yes... I would include Miller.  So I'm not disagreeing with you there.

7 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Uh... Tavares has one year left on his contract. This is 100% to do with a trade.

Yeah a trade because he doesn't want to sign an extention. If Snow's superstar player won't resign and he doesn't trade him to get something back he will be more likely fired than he will be for making a trade. 

Imagine if we sign Tavares in the summer, that instantly makes us a contender while we can continue drafting young forwards and develop them. That would turn CDC into a mad house and we all get pumped for the playoff runs. He would instantly be our 1C, Bo 2C and Hank 3C. I wouldn't rule this out happening. Stranger things have happened. Also Bo doesn't need anymore mentors. He has the Sedins, Hansen, Burr, Edler, Tanev. Don't need anymore but if the above happened though, sell outs every home game.

4 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Imagine if we sign Tavares in the summer, that instantly makes us a contender while we can continue drafting young forwards and develop them. That would turn CDC into a mad house and we all get pumped for the playoff runs. He would instantly be our 1C, Bo 2C and Hank 3C. I wouldn't rule this out happening. Stranger things have happened. Also Bo doesn't need anymore mentors. He has the Sedins, Hansen, Burr, Edler, Tanev. Don't need anymore but if the above happened though, sell outs every home game.

He isn't UFA until next year though. And why would he sign on to a team like ours? He has been on a rebuilding, middling team for years already.

Getting Tavares would have to be a complete replacement for Henrik meaning the Sedins have moved on. They aren't going to ever be third liners on this team. If they are here, they will be top six at worst.

On 2016-11-26 at 0:06 AM, elvis15 said:

I see your Malhotra and raise you a Linden.

cc1ec7a4-808e-41f1-a03e-764bd5dcddfa.jpg

On 2016-11-26 at 0:34 AM, Pears said:

He doesn't exactly need one with the Sedins here...

On 2016-11-26 at 9:56 AM, canucklehead80 said:

Henrik, Daniel, Linden, Malhotra all kicking around. That'll do itB)

On 2016-11-26 at 10:48 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So we need to acquire an active player who's either a current or former 1st line centre and one who plays or played the game at a level and style that matches the ceiling for Bo Horvat?

13 hours ago, Puckster said:

Burrows, do we really need him?

I love the chemestry right now..... do not mess with this....When Baer gets back we have our 1st Line back

end of discussion!

All these tie together for me.

I don't believe in a designated or forced "mentor"....I believe mentors come through leaders who lead by example and live and breathe it vs "teach" it. Inspire others through their actions.  We have some of those in place, as mentioned, and it happening organically and naturally rather than something structured seems a better route. 

I also believe in chemistry being a huge factor and sometimes the perfect recipes aren't on paper, they happen with some tweaking as teammates become familiar with one another.  Bo is a future leader here and bringing in others to get him there could do more harm than good.  I want him to believe in what he knows and  play his game vs having someone imposed upon him to tinker with that.  Seems to me he knows what to do and has good instinctual tendencies (LOVE how he can strong arm, one handed protect the puck toward the net).  Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

3 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

Ditto.

Not sure why you're bringing up all those names.  There's a disconnect between my comment and your reply.  First you said Bo IS a mentor.  I simply disagreed because under the definition of a mentor, Bo isn't experienced enough yet (in NHL play).  I mean really, he hasn't gone through the wars (playoffs) yet or achieved anything at the league level yet, like the Sedins have.  I did say he's a great role model though, which isn't the same as a mentor.

I already said earlier (page 2) that Bo had great mentors in the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, and yes... I would include Miller.  So I'm not disagreeing with you there.

Henrik, Daniel, Linden, Malhotra all kicking around. That'll do itB)

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

All these tie together for me.

I don't believe in a designated or forced "mentor"....I believe mentors come through leaders who lead by example and live and breathe it vs "teach" it. Inspire others through their actions.  We have some of those in place, as mentioned, and it happening organically and naturally rather than something structured seems a better route. 

I also believe in chemistry being a huge factor and sometimes the perfect recipes aren't on paper, they happen with some tweaking as teammates become familiar with one another.  Bo is a future leader here and bringing in others to get him there could do more harm than good.  I want him to believe in what he knows and  play his game vs having someone imposed upon him to tinker with that.  Seems to me he knows what to do and has good instinctual tendencies (LOVE how he can strong arm, one handed protect the puck toward the net).  Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Couldn't have said it any better myself

He's arguably the best player on the team and other the Sedins, the most accountable/responsible.  What is someone going to mentor him about? 

Short of bringing in a Shane Doan type, to give the ins and outs of being a premier power forward.  Anyone that gets put on his line will be carried by Horvat. 

Archived