The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) - TBL - VAN

http://www.tsn.ca/pratt-rant/video/pratt-s-rant-the-canucks-and-lightning-could-be-the-perfect-trade-couple~1017788

Steve Yzerman wants a right handed defensman....

Dave Pratt suggests Chris Tanev to Tampa in exchange for Johnathan Drouin. He says it fits perfectly because Tampa Bay doesn't have the cap space to resign Drouin with Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat being RFA's as well.

References the Hall for Larsen Trade as well.

Me personally I think a Tanev for Drouin is a fair deal and I would pull the trigger on this trade as we need more scoring help.

Thoughts?

If Tampa doesn't have the cap space to re-sign Drouin.....what are they going to do with Tanev's 4.5M$ ????

Drouin has 55 pts in 113 NHL games ( in three season)....it's not like he will sign a 7M$ deal.  Yes he was a 3rd overall, but that deep draft has a lot of player drafted behind him currently ahead of him.  Best he could get is a 2-3 year bridge deal in the 3-5M$ range.

Not saying it isn't a great fit hockey wise (although I doubt Yzerman wouldn only want Tanev back, Canucks would need to add), but I don't buy the money argument.

15 minutes ago, Nessnuck27 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/pratt-rant/video/pratt-s-rant-the-canucks-and-lightning-could-be-the-perfect-trade-couple~1017788

Rumor has it, Steve Yzerman wants a right handed defensman....

Dave Pratt suggests Chris Tanev to Tampa in exchange for Johnathan Drouin. He says it fits perfectly because Tampa Bay doesn't have the cap space to resign Drouin with Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat being RFA's as well.

Me personally I think a Tanev for Drouin is a fair deal and I would pull the trigger on this trade as we need more scoring help.

Thoughts?

LOL - We need help everywhere.

I would love to see a straight up trade of Tanev for Drouin but really doubt that Yzerman would accept that deal. I'm sure he would want a prospect and/or draft pick added to this deal as well and I would be okay with that. I don't think you can judge what Yzerman will accept based on the Hall trade. The other option to adding to Tanev would be to also take a bad contract back from Tampa.

1 hour ago, Nessnuck27 said:

Thoughts?

Excellent post.  Tanev for Drouin is very fair.  Pratt also added taking Drouin would be a HUGE risk, especially giving up Tanev.  

41 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

LOL - We need help everywhere.

I would love to see a straight up trade of Tanev for Drouin but really doubt that Yzerman would accept that deal. I'm sure he would want a prospect and/or draft pick added to this deal as well and I would be okay with that. I don't think you can judge what Yzerman will accept based on the Hall trade. The other option to adding to Tanev would be to also take a bad contract back from Tampa.

We're just in the process of getting ourselves out of the crushing weight of bad contracts (LE contract notwithstanding) and you want to take on more? 

As far as what they add to their teams on the ice - Tanev/Drouin isn't an unfair suggestion.  However, Stevie Y knows very well that Drouin has the potential to be a point-per-game player in this league and is 3-5 year away from being in his prime; whereas, Tanev is what he is, a solid no fuss low maintenance stay-at-home defender who will show up every night and bring his regular game - he's not getting any better and he's not getting any worse.  Drouin is a wild-card.  He could get 80+ points or he could hold out before his next contract and be a major distraction and a relative bust - or he could do both? 

Right now tb Can't make the trade they don't have the cap space.

this is an off season move unless tb puts stamkos on LTIR or gets creative

ive pondered the same trade. Straight up. One for one.

so let's see....

sedin-sedin-hansen

baertschi-horvat-drouin

granlund-sutter-eriksson

gaunce-Chaput-skille

edler-stetcher

hutton-gudbranson

sbisa-tryamkin

biega-larsen

next year you throw in boeser and drop sbisa via expansion draft annnnnddd maybe pick up Patrick through the draft and boom we are in business

36 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

We're just in the process of getting ourselves out of the crushing weight of bad contracts (LE contract notwithstanding) and you want to take on more? 

As far as what they add to their teams on the ice - Tanev/Drouin isn't an unfair suggestion.  However, Stevie Y knows very well that Drouin has the potential to be a point-per-game player in this league and is 3-5 year away from being in his prime; whereas, Tanev is what he is, a solid no fuss low maintenance stay-at-home defender who will show up every night and bring his regular game - he's not getting any better and he's not getting any worse.  Drouin is a wild-card.  He could get 80+ points or he could hold out before his next contract and be a major distraction and a relative bust - or he could do both? 

I didn't say I wanted to take on a bad contract, just that it would be another option to consider. If the deal for Drouin is on the table at the price of Tanev + it may come down to a decision of adding a draft pick to sweeten the deal or taking back a bad contract. If the bad contract expires within a year or two years, and there is cap space available during that timeframe, Benning would need to make a decision as to whether that is a better option than giving up a draft pick that most posters don't want to do either. Again, if this trade is on the table (and I doubt it is) Benning needs to determine Drouin's value and proceed with the route he deems to benefit the Canucks the most for the longer term.

Your assessment of what Drouin/Tanev add to their teams on the ice is bang on.

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

If Tampa doesn't have the cap space to re-sign Drouin.....what are they going to do with Tanev's 4.5M$ ????

Drouin has 55 pts in 113 NHL games ( in three season)....it's not like he will sign a 7M$ deal.  Yes he was a 3rd overall, but that deep draft has a lot of player drafted behind him currently ahead of him.  Best he could get is a 2-3 year bridge deal in the 3-5M$ range.

Not saying it isn't a great fit hockey wise (although I doubt Yzerman wouldn only want Tanev back, Canucks would need to add), but I don't buy the money argument.

It's a fair question. Stamkos being out probably all of this season (maybe back by playoffs) gives them LTI relief to fit Tanev in now, but not sure how it'd shake down for the following seasons. Stralman and Coburn on their right side have similar cap hits, and they need to re-sign Sustr as a pending RFA. There's some questions if this could work for Tampa, enough to think they probably wouldn't move Drouin for this kind of deal without also making space for someone like Tanev to come in longer term.

2 hours ago, billabong said:

Right now tb Can't make the trade they don't have the cap space.

this is an off season move unless tb puts stamkos on LTIR or gets creative

Stamkos is on LTI currently, as they're over the cap by $500K or so already. And if that was all that was holding them back, they'd certainly put Stamkos on LTI to make it happen.

1 hour ago, Aircool said:

I love how much people overrate Tanev on these boards.... You could trade Tanev for what he's worth. Get him back on Waivers somehow, and then trade the return you got and Tanev to TB... Then you MIGHT get Drouin... 

Whiskey tango foxtrot?

1 hour ago, Aircool said:

I love how much people overrate Tanev on these boards.... You could trade Tanev for what he's worth. Get him back on Waivers somehow, and then trade the return you got and Tanev to TB... Then you MIGHT get Drouin... 

Image result for full retard

20 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Whiskey tango foxtrot?

I'm still trying to figure that out

Image result for wtf

I think we'd have to take + Coburn or + Garrison back in that deal to make the cap space work wouldn't we? So I don't know how it gets done without us losing a high pick or prospect too. 

Unless there is some kind of LTIR salary benefit for Stamkos being out?

6 hours ago, Nessnuck27 said:

Thoughts?

Source or it's not true.

5 hours ago, timberz21 said:

If we're gonna get 'off the pot' with this, we probably need to take a dump.

At this point in time, Tanev is the far more valuable of players to his team. TB is in win now mode, and Tanev is an EXCELLENT addition to a team like that.  Drouin has skill and potential but hasnt shown any real consistency so far in his young career.  He has nearly identical stats to Sven Baertschi, and both are a -1 on the season.  

Seeing how Vancouver needs to look for the future, I can see a deal like this making some level of sense, but I honestly dont see Vancouver trading Tanev unless the deal is completely lop sided in their favor.  Drouin is a sexy prospect but his name and draft position overshadow the fact that he has yet to produce anything more than a typical 3rd liner.  Chris Tanev is one of the best analytical dmen in the league.  He doesnt drive offence, but he suppresses the other team and is a core contributor to the success of his team.  

Which is of more value?  Well, imo the value easily lies in the sure thing, over the gamble, especially for a team thats ready to win.  A RHD thats just entered the prime of his career that logs heavy minutes 5 on 5 and killing penalties, AND is signed to a very cap friendly deal.  Also TB has the space to protect another defender.  WHile they risk losing a bottom pairing D via expansion in its place.

TB adds

Archived