The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sell me on the 2016-2017 Canucks

Zhukini

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our glass is 1/8th full, if you want to look at it that way.:lol:

Maybe, but if that 1/8th is a memory that got you talking next day to buddies, or the week or month after, wasn't it worthwhile?

For example, yes, we all agree, last year's team sucked.  But who can forget the Sbisa rush, when he channeled his inner Bobby Orr.  I don;t remember the score, who we played (or even if it was last season or earlier this season) ... I just remember my jaw dropping when he came out from behind the net, saw no-one to pass to, so took off and skated through the 5 opponents and had a shot on net.  Didn't score, but it was a "what the heck just happened" moment.  I was glad I watched that game, just for that

Just now, Googlie said:

Maybe, but if that 1/8th is a memory that got you talking next day to buddies, or the week or month after, wasn't it worthwhile?

For example, yes, we all agree, last year's team sucked.  But who can forget the Sbisa rush, when he channeled his inner Bobby Orr.  I don;t remember the score, who we played (or even if it was last season or earlier this season) ... I just remember my jaw dropping when he came out from behind the net, saw no-one to pass to, so took off and skated through the 5 opponents and had a shot on net.  Didn't score, but it was a "what the heck just happened" moment.  I was glad I watched that game, just for that

I agree with you for sure.  A true Canuck's fan you are sir:)

I dunno. I'm one of those people who watches this team as much as I can, regardless of the quality of the product.

It's Canucks hockey. It's what I do.

Hell, if you strapped a Canucks crest on these guys, I'd be watching:

But as far as selling points go, @Googlie's post (on the previous page) sums up the better reasons this season.

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I dunno. I'm one of those people who watches this team as much as I can, regardless of the quality of the product.

It's Canucks hockey. It's what I do.

Hell, if you strapped a Canucks crest on these guys, I'd be watching:

But as far as selling points go, @Googlie's post sums up the better reasons this season.

If I had more time, I'd love to spend it watching this team. Im not asking for a team to bandwagon onto, Max Lapierre nailing guys on the forecheck was enough to get me to watch, now we have Brendan Gaunce and Megna subtly shoving people. 

This team doesn't have to win or fire the coach or get a number one draft pick to get me and the hundreds not going to the games anymore to start attending. They just need to make the time invested feel like it was worth it.

And yes I am fully aware Bo,Sven,Tryamkin and Stecher make this team worth watching, which is why I do.

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You are not a true green and blue Canuck's fan.  Do you even live in Vancouver?  If you do, I bet you're from elsewhere.  

Every time Ryan Kesler touched the puck something was going to happen, every time Torres or Lapierre came in on the forecheck something was going to happen, everytime Markus Naslund wound up behind his net or the sedins made a cross cross drop pass at the blue line, you knew something would happen.

Bo does it, so do Stecher and Sven. I'm at the age where I want to travel, I want to snowboard and go places and I want to watch GOOD hockey. These things don't go hand in hand with the 16-17 Canucks. And yes I was born and raised here, like it makes a difference 

Just now, Zhukini said:

Every time Ryan Kesler touched the puck something was going to happen, every time Torres or Lapierre came in on the forecheck something was going to happen, everytime Markus Naslund wound up behind his net or the sedins made a cross cross drop pass at the blue line, you knew something would happen.

Bo does it, so do Stecher and Sven. I'm at the age where I want to travel, I want to snowboard and go places and I want to watch GOOD hockey. These things don't go hand in hand with the 16-17 Canucks. And yes I was born and raised here, like it makes a difference 

Go travel man.

i did.

canucks were still around when I got back.

plus it's the Internet age now which it wasn't when I was abroad.

i bet you would still see a lot from afar.

4 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Why can't you take an iPad with you, and still keep up with the team?  And it does make a difference where one is from.  There is a connection with one's city that transcends sport.  For example, do you hate everything about Toronto?  If you are from Vancouver, you should puke just thinking the Leafs are getting good.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

I'm not saying sell me on them as a believer that they will make the playoffs, or on the fact that they'll get a high pick and hopefully have a much better next few years.

I'm asking what  your best reasons would be to invest three hours every other evening on this years Canucks. 

I've watched this team religiously since Matt Cooke scored with 2 seconds left versus the wild, and let me confirm that I'm not switching allegiances, but 

with grad school and so many other activities I want to do, I don't want to stare at a screen until 9:45 only to be frustrated with the entertainment value, and if I had to 

pick between watching the Blackhawks play the Penguins, or the Canucks play the Avalanche on a Saturday, it's going to be the first option, even if I don't care who wins. 

This years team is just so Vanilla, and it has nothing to do with wins or losses, or the defensive game that we play. Hell when Ronalds Kenins was going, he was a reason to tune in. 

This year though, watching Henrik Sedin pass the puck behind the net, down a goal with 2 seconds left, is enough for me not to watch the next game.

I still watch and attend the games and always will, the number of games is just decreasing from 80 to 70 to probably 60 this year, but I'm a hockey fan first,

and the first round of the playoffs is something I will MAKE time for, even when the Canucks aren't playing. 

I understand that a lot of you feel the need to watch simply because feel like you have to, and that is totally respectable, I'm just curious as to how you would sell me,

or anyone else on this years team. 

I watched the last group of Canuck players develop right from draft time through to the 2011 cup run and beyond. I watched them develop from prospects into stars in the league. I enjoyed every part of it. This will be no different. You need to look for the positives through each season. There was lots of fans complaining and ridiculing the twins and those who said Kes would never be more then a 4th line center. We will hear all the same crap as we did through the last rebuild , retool or what ever it is called.

The fact is that when you invest some time into the team through the worst, once they start to do well it means more to you. It is not for everyone as some people only want to see a win or nothing else.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

I watched the last group of Canuck players develop right from draft time through to the 2011 cup run and beyond. I watched them develop from prospects into stars in the league. I enjoyed every part of it. This will be no different. You need to look for the positives through each season. There was lots of fans complaining and ridiculing the twins and those who said Kes would never be more then a 4th line center. We will hear all the same crap as we did through the last rebuild , retool or what ever it is called.

The fact is that when you invest some time into the team through the worst, once they start to do well it means more to you. It is not for everyone as some people only want to see a win or nothing else.

We have a Kesler's in Bo, but where are our Twins in the prospects?  

9 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Every time Ryan Kesler touched the puck something was going to happen,

Haha, I sympathize with your thirst for contention (honestly can't be bothered to try to 'sell' you anything - and think you should go to school or do something meaningful for yourself if you have your doubts about wasting time on this team) - but you lost me from the get-go, and then again particularly at "Ryan Kesler".

What happened when Kesler touched the puck?  A harmless wrister from 45ft, that's what.

The guy had tunnel vision (linemate blindness) - he forced crap when it wasn't there, and he carried that annoying chip on his shoulder that unfortunately rarely translated into production.  The epitome of a talented, big, fast player that unfortunately just did not make his linemates or team-mates better.  People mistake that chip - or being angry - or hating losing - for being a winner.  That's not necessarily the case - it takes more than a chip on your shoulder to be a winner - it takes converting that into something positive.

Anyhow, this team obviously doesn't inspire you to convert your attention positively, so if I were you, I'd look at that instead of soliciting sales kicks from other people (and I suspect that'd be a waste of anyone's time anyhow).

Best of luck with whatever more worthwhile thing you elect to spend your time on.

8 minutes ago, appleboy said:

exactly.

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our glass is 1/8th full, if you want to look at it that way.:lol:

Yep...Good thing we have a glass though.  Thing is if you use a rose coloured glass it looks 1/4 full....Then put on a pair of rose colored glasses and look again and it looks 1/8th empty and we post something stupid.

40 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Go travel man.

i did.

canucks were still around when I got back.

plus it's the Internet age now which it wasn't when I was abroad.

i bet you would still see a lot from afar.

This is good advice.

In 2002-03 I travelled in SE Asia for 6months. I left in October, by January I was just jonesing for the Canucks, I felt like I was actually missing a piece of my soul.

I went into a sketchy bakery in Vientiane, Laos, ordered the first sandwich I'd seen in over three months, went up some stairs to sit down and eat. The TV had CNN on, in English! Just as I finished the worst sandwich I'd ever fully eaten the sports highlights came on.... Bertuzzi had scored against the Rangers in OT on a beauty pass from Naslund. I cried. Actually cried.

Tears ran down my face like they would if we ever win the cup, I still get a bit misty thinking about it.

OP- if you need to be sold - GTFO

Archived