The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you want to see out of a New Management Team?

Hank Moody

What kind of Management team do we want to see?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

That is what Benning did and is being cursed for it. Right?

Mostly by people that play NHL 12 or some other game. There are some posters that make good points and can back them up, this can be attributed to a different opinion and is ok. The folks that get me are the " trade Sbisa for Crosby" crowd.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Leafs traded a late 1st,and a 2nd for 26 year old Frederik Andersson (basically,the picks they acquired for Phil Kessel)....Even the the Leafs trade picks for positions where they have a need...No different from what Benning did acquiring Baertschi and Guddy (who are both 3 years younger than Andersson).

out of pluses but you're making too much sense for tank nation.

25 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Didn't have a problem trading Garrison (even though he didn't want to waive his NTC).  But if you're a terrible enough GM that it's impossible for you to acquire a draft pick, then that's even more of a reason not to trade away any picks if you're rebuilding.

Every player's willingness to waive their NMC's or NTC's is different. Most NTC's call for the player to provide a specified number of teams that they will accept a trade to and then it is up to the GM to see if he can make a deal with one of those specified teams. I suspect going back to the state of Florida was on Garrison's list and obviously Tampa saw a need to get the deal done on their end. Likely a pretty easy deal to get done and Benning did acquire a pick out of this. Others are much more difficult to get done. Vrbata, for example, admitted giving Benning a list of teams that he knew would not want him. He did that because of personal family matters that he deemed requiring him remaining in Vancouver for several months beyond the trade deadline. If you were the GM, what would you have done?

NMC's are usually even more difficult and sometimes impossible. There has been lots of chatter about moving the Sedins to a Cup contender but the Sedins hold all the cards and can simply veto any trade possibilities. Their countryman, Mats Sundin is a good example of a player that would not permit a trade out of Toronto for any reason. Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau are still in San Jose only because they would not allow Doug Wilson to trade them. Trading players with NMC's or NTC's is simply much more difficult to do.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

There are some posters that make good points and can back them up, this can be attributed to a different opinion and is ok.

This is very true and there is more than one way to rebuild a team.  The media is saying that there is only one way and that the Canucks are wrong. I am saying that it is different but that they had their reasons and it is starting to work.

Sbisa is not going to get you Crosby but he might actually bring a reasonable return. Who saw that one coming.

9 minutes ago, appleboy said:

This is very true and there is more than one way to rebuild a team.  The media is saying that there is only one way and that the Canucks are wrong. I am saying that it is different but that they had their reasons and it is starting to work.

Sbisa is not going to get you Crosby but he might actually bring a reasonable return. Who saw that one coming.

It does seem that part of our fanbase is fixated on the Canucks doing a Leaf type rebuild (having TSN/Sportsnet praising the Leafs every second day of the week may have something to do with it)....Meanwhile, non tanking teams like Columbus and Philadelphia are fast on the ascendant,while Toronto and Buffalo are still flirting with the basement.

We need more top quality young talent, so I would like a GM who has a proven track record of evaluating young talent. He should hire a coach who has demonstrated success at working with young players. And ideally they should be led by a president who is smart, well respected and who bleeds blue and green. Oh wait...

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Drinking? TO has been rebuilding a long time. When was the last time they made the playoffs? Burke tried to speed up the build trading two 1st's and a 2nd for Kessel. He would have been better off with the picks. Two young stars are better than one.

Tell me that JB, TL, and our owner aren't trying to "speed up" our rebuild, by the philosophy of the retool.  And The Leafs should never ever get a goalie. 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

I accept your viewpoint, but disagree.  In my opinion, hockey people like Bob Mckenzie know a lot more about the game than us posters.  Ray Ferraro, who played in the NHL for 18 seasons, and lives in Vancouver, said he would like to see clear direction from our management.  Pretty much every professional hockey mind says our management strategy is wrong for a team that needs to rebuild.  

Of course I cheer for us to win every game, and I'm happy for our team when we do win, but I do have concern for our direction and future.  

If these people really knew anything about coaching or management they would be doing it. Writing about something and actually doing is not even related. The fact you don't see that is why you are constantly doubting everything.

Tell me, if and when this all works out for the Canucks, (as I suspect it will) do these guys apologise for misleading their "flock" and resign? No they don't they just roll onto the next itch to scratch.

More fool you for putting so much store in what they say when I presume you have two perfectly healthy eyes and an ability to examine the facts for yourself.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

If these people really knew anything about coaching or management they would be doing it. Writing about something and actually doing is not even related. The fact you don't see that is why you are constantly doubting everything.

Tell me, if and when this all works out for the Canucks, (as I suspect it will) do these guys apologise for misleading their "flock" and resign? No they don't they just roll onto the next itch to scratch.

More fool you for putting so much store in what they say when I presume you have two perfectly healthy eyes and an ability to examine the facts for yourself.

Express those facts please that show we have a clear direction. 

8 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Go and read/watch some of the interviews made by management when they arrived.

I honestly wouldn't waste more time than that on it as by to-morrow you will have forgotten it all and you'll be churning out the same doom and gloom stuff all over again.

Having been a Canuck fan since the mid 70's I can only offer this advice: be patient and enjoy the ride. For those of you out there that became fans through the Sedin's career you have enjoyed the best continued run the Canucks have ever been on. It's been a wonderful ride but it's over. There have been many management groups through here, some good, some not,different styles,ideas, ra ra ra.The bottom line is that since this franchise entered the NHL we haven't been able to draft prospects near good enough. I think we rate close to the bottom all time. This has to change,we need to dramatically improve this statistic and this statistic alone. If you have a solid prospect base the fine tuning moves are much easier.  I'm sorry to say this takes time

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well said Alf.   This is a good example of what is out there media wise that is both creating doubt in the fan base and putting pressure on management to do something different.  I am still in the camp that encourages patience and wants both stability and to wait and see what Benning does over the next two drafts and with the Sedins in 2018...But I respect what you are saying.  

The media does affect the fan base.  Alf is a fine example of that.  That the fan base affects management's decisions is unlikely.  They definitely don't read CDC.  Or the papers.  We've all seen those "day in the life" documentaries on Linen.  It's typical of sports exec's.  They're going flat out from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm every day.  They don't have time to reflect on the ravings of fans or the media.

5 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

What the media says HAS to be taken with a grain of salt, a lot of them are paid by the NHL, teams, or networks that depend upon the good auspices and relations with the league. They have a line that they shouldn't cross. Newspaper guys don't have so much a vested interest, hence different angles on reporting.

There was lots of discussion last summer at how Rogers owns Sportsnet who own 37.5% of the Leafs.  And how Bell owns TSN who also own 37.5% of MLSE.  And there's absolutely no conflict of interest whatsoever.  Ya right!

2 minutes ago, Oldmanpower said:

Having been a Canuck fan since the mid 70's I can only offer this advice: be patient and enjoy the ride. For those of you out there that became fans through the Sedin's career you have enjoyed the best continued run the Canucks have ever been on. It's been a wonderful ride but it's over. There have been many management groups through here, some good, some not,different styles,ideas, ra ra ra.The bottom line is that since this franchise entered the NHL we haven't been able to draft prospects near good enough. I think we rate close to the bottom all time. This has to change,we need to dramatically improve this statistic and this statistic alone. If you have a solid prospect base the fine tuning moves are much easier.  I'm sorry to say this takes time

Ya, it took us 30 years of trying to draft the Twins.  

Unfortunately, when comparing what other teams have in future assets vs what the Canucks have in future assets, the picture is somewhat bleak.

Consider the players Tampa and Philly have at the world juniors and what other teams have in the farm system, the Canucks are no doubt behind.

But having said this, it comes down to quality rather than quantity; therefore, if the Canucks prospects can develop and turn out to be elite players, then the picture isn't as bleak.

The next two years, if the Canucks finish bottom 3 each of those years, then they can get more high end talent to feed the system.

Like I mentioned, it will be another four to five years before the Canucks will contend. 

This year the Canucks are competing and are in a lot of close games, which is good, but the lack of talent is evident. Therefore, if they compete, but still finish bottom three, then this might not be such a bad thing in order to stock the farm with talent.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ya, it took us 30 years of trying to draft the Twins.  

Based on past Canuck history we return to the Cup finals every ten years. Kind of like a Comet, so our farm team is appropriately named :)

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1064619-ranking-the-31-nhl-general-managers

What I find interesting is 5 out of the bottom 7 are having amazing seasons, especially CBJ.

I don't think Benning deserves that low of a ranking, but he is probably in the bottom 10. I have friends who are fans of other teams (Toronto, Detroit, Pittsburgh) and they think Benning is the worst GM in the league.

That said, some sites ranked Gillis the 2nd worst GM in the past 16 years (behind only Mad Mike Millbury). 

I think we should keep Benning for 2 or 3 more years. He is not the reason the team sucks. He has done some weird stupid things, but other moves seem on point. I agree that he might be getting influenced by the "owner's agenda". 

Archived