The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

I want to see Rodin on the second line with Sutter and Hansen. That is a good two-way line offensively and defensively. Rodin comes into the league as a wild card. I think he would be a good complement to Sutter and Hansen. We won't have the best second line but it would allow our third line to consist of Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen. Which I think will make up for any potential slack. Rodin is 25 year's old, he doesn't need kid treatment. I think we should try him out there for a couple games and see if we found our second line LW. It's a new trend among teams to go for that prime aged European as they're already fully developed and used to playing with real men. My lineup

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Rodin Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Burrows Granlund Dorsett

(Etem, Gaunce)

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, TheLiveWire said:

I want to see Rodin on the second line with Sutter and Hansen. That is a good two-way line offensively and defensively. Rodin comes into the league as a wild card. I think he would be a good complement to Sutter and Hansen. We won't have the best second line but it would allow our third line to consist of Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen. Which I think will make up for any potential slack. Rodin is 25 year's old, he doesn't need kid treatment. I think we should try him out there for a couple games and see if we found our second line LW. It's a new trend among teams to go for that prime aged European as they're already fully developed and used to playing with real men. My lineup

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Rodin Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Burrows Granlund Dorsett

(Etem, Gaunce)

This isn't bad. Rodin and Hansen on a line together would be a fast pair

5 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

This isn't bad. Rodin and Hansen on a line together would be a fast pair

So would Rodin and Virtanen. The latter of whom can make room for the former. I think if they are serious about keeping Horvat with defensive wingers this is the line up:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Virtanen Sutter Rodin

Burrows Horvat Hansen

Baertschi Granlund Etem
Dorsett, Gaunce

That's a good shut down 3rd line. Virtanen and Baertschi could both play with Rodin, but I think Hansen is also more comfortable on the right so I don't see em playing together. 

25 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

So would Rodin and Virtanen. The latter of whom can make room for the former. I think if they are serious about keeping Horvat with defensive wingers this is the line up:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Virtanen Sutter Rodin

Burrows Horvat Hansen

Baertschi Granlund Etem
Dorsett, Gaunce

That's a good shut down 3rd line. Virtanen and Baertschi could both play with Rodin, but I think Hansen is also more comfortable on the right so I don't see em playing together. 

They don't want to put Baertschi under pressure at LW2 until he is ready - they are unlikely to want to shift that pressure to Virtanen.

WD has already said that the 2nd line starts with Sutter and Hansen.

Etem has been asked to up his physicality, block shots and use his speed to disrupt plays - it doesn't sound like they see him as a productive goal scorer at this level.  I don't think they'll play him with Baertschi who needs a finisher on his line.  If Virtanen makes the team and Rodin needs some adjustment time - it's probably more important for them to have Virtanen with Baertschi rather than Etem.  

I also doubt Dorsett or Burrows are the ones sitting out re Daniel's comment before the Nashville game of looking forward to get the vets back because they are too many young players on the team - which forced them in roles they are not ready for.  That speaks also against Virtanen or Rodin on the 2nd line.  Rodin has no NHL experience and it's unclear if he's learned the physical play in the SHL.  Rodin is also an excellent sniper and would benefit from a playmaker like Baertschi on his line. 

Can Van get 220 goals next year:

Forwards:

Line #1 :  55

Line #2 :  35

Line #3:   30

Line #4:   15

Forward call ups: 7

Defense:

Pairing #1 : 25 

Pairing #2 : 10

Pairing #3:   5

Defense call ups: 3

The above is how I see it. 187 goals, need 33 more goals is it possible?

220 goals would put Van in the top ten in the NHL!

3 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Can Van get 220 goals next year:

Forwards:

Line #1 :  55

Line #2 :  35

Line #3:   30

Line #4:   15

Forward call ups: 7

Defense:

Pairing #1 : 25 

Pairing #2 : 10

Pairing #3:   5

Defense call ups: 3

The above is how I see it. 187 goals, need 33 more goals is it possible?

220 goals would put Van in the top ten in the NHL!

Sedin (22) Sedin (12) Hansen (24) = 58

Rodin (12)  Sutter (15) Eriksson (29) = 56

Baertschi (20) Bo (18) Etem (8) = 46

Burrows (8) Granlund (4) Dorsett (4) = 16

Virtanen (10)

Gaunce (5)

Edler (9) Tanev (5) = 14

Hutton (6) Guddy (6) = 12

Tryamkin (5) Sbisa (3) = 8

Larsen (6)

Pedan (2)

This is how I see it, which gives us 228 goals. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Virtanen (10)

Gaunce (5)

Edler (9) Tanev (5) = 14

Larsen (6)

Pedan (2)

Would be a successful year if the goals against were around 200 or less. I am saying this because or D should be or strong point this year.

Edited by vancan2233

On 7/21/2016 at 10:08 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Virtanen (10)

Gaunce (5)

Edler (9) Tanev (5) = 14

Larsen (6)

Pedan (2)

I'd probably lower your expectations for Hansen, and I don't see Eriksson getting 29 from the second line, yes if he was with the twins all the year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'd probably lower your expectations for Hansen, and I don't see Eriksson getting 29 from the second line, yes if he was with the twins all the year.

I think 20+ is reasonable for Hansen if he's with the twins. Maybe 15-20 if he's middle-six.

And if Eriksson isn't with the twins, I'd actually put him with Horvat instead of Sutter.

Sutter has shown a remarkable ability to not really be impacted statistically by quality of teammates. He's likely to post similar totals with or without quality wingers. I'd almost rather save our best offensive players for the twins and Horvat's line and just let Sutter do his thing limiting goals against while still scoring around 20 regardless of his wingers.

• Upvote 1

I think we'd be expecting 200-210

game points wise we'll be better in OT this year with Ericksson 

We lost a lot of points in OT so I think we'll bounce back 

Our bigger defense will be getting us more close/tied games so this OT stat will be important this year.

(WD better adjust with our OT groupings but has Jarvis as special teams coach maybe? to help out)

On 7/21/2016 at 10:08 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Virtanen (10)

Gaunce (5)

Edler (9) Tanev (5) = 14

Larsen (6)

Pedan (2)

This is the Rodin forum so I will give him a bit more love;

Sedin (20) Sedin (14) Eriksson (32)

Bairtschi (20) Horvat (22) Rodin (20)

Burrows (10) Sutter (18)  Hansen(15)

Dorsett (5) Granlund (6) Virtanen (12)

Etem (6)  Gaunce (4)

Edler (8) Tanev (6)

Hutton (7) Gudbranson ( 4)

Tryamkin (4) Larsen (6)

Sbisa (2), Stetcher (2) Pedan (1)

244 goals...Pres. Cup...walk through the playoffs...

...lose game 7 game on a bad call from a blind or paid off ref.

...just soooo jaded at this point...

Still not 100% from his injury. Since this has probably hampered his ability to train during the off season,it's not looking to good for his success this season. Players need a good off season of training to have a chance of a good year. 

51 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Still not 100% from his injury. Since this has probably hampered his ability to train during the off season,it's not looking to good for his success this season. Players need a good off season of training to have a chance of a good year. 

That's not good news for Rodin.  Guess that's why the Canucks are talking with Gagner's agent.  He would be good as the 3rd RW.

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

People's expectations for him have been nutty IMO. People penciling him in the top 6....

Good news is that he's skating and "getting close" to being back to 100%.

I imagine he'll be ready by camp and expect he will come in highly motivated. I'm not pencilling him into the lineup yet but I think he has a good chance to at least make it as a spare forward (#13/14) and could play a regular role in the middle-six if he finds some chemistry with either Sutter or Horvat.

Definitely pulling for him. I liked the pick when he was drafted and was optimistic about his chances years ago (based on what I saw from him in the AHL when he played healthy). Happy he's back in the fold again and hoping his recent SHL resuits will translate into more success this time around.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good news is that he's skating and "getting close" to being back to 100%.

I imagine he'll be ready by camp and expect he will come in highly motivated. I'm not pencilling him into the lineup yet but I think he has a good chance to at least make it as a spare forward (#13/14) and could play a regular role in the middle-six if he finds some chemistry with either Sutter or Horvat.

Definitely pulling for him. I liked the pick when he was drafted and was optimistic about his chances years ago (based on what I saw from him in the AHL when he played healthy). Happy he's back in the fold again and hoping his recent SHL resuits will translate into more success this time around.

There is a HUGE difference between the NHL and those Euro leagues.  The games happens a lot faster here, and is far more physical.  I have high hopes for Rodin and Larson, but really don't see them contributing much.  They are not in their first go-around here like Tryamkin.  These guys had chances already, and look to have taken the earlier road - heading back to Europe rather than developing their NHL games in the A.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

There is a HUGE difference between the NHL and those Euro leagues.  The games happens a lot faster here, and is far more physical.  I have high hopes for Rodin and Larson, but really don't see them contributing much.  They are not in their first go-around here like Tryamkin.  These guys had chances already, and look to have taken the earlier road - heading back to Europe rather than developing their NHL games in the A.  

You're right about the difference between EU leagues and the NHL. In fact I think Larsen only score 4 goals on the PP in the KHL but what I think they see in him is his offensive IQ, working with more skilled players they hope it will blossom. He clearly had a dislike with the Oilers management and their development style ( or chaos call it what you will ) and refused to return to the organization. This leads you to believe he was asked by Edmonton  to return.  Rodin was more a case of the Chicago wolves having limited say in playing the Vcr prospects rather than a Wolves win first and making money attitude.  Combined with serious shoulder problems. Much like Larsen he looked and figured that the Vcr organization was not the place to develop his game. After Gillis convinced Aqualinni's to purchase an AHL franchise development has improved and I suspect some one like Rodin would have blossomed in the Utica system. But it's never too late and we can only hope given a second opportunity they'll flourish this time around. So much depends on summer preparation for young players I just hope Vcr gives Rodin the same chance as they gave Baertschi

• Upvote 1