The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

I was impressed with Rodin's play despite the limited viewing.

If his knee is fine, then the Canucks should offer him a one year contract. Most of the young players are not ready to play next season and it's not like the team is going to be a playoff contender so we could use this to see if Rodin can stick. If so, we get a player that can play a role on the team for the next few years.

• Upvote 1

Yes we have young players coming in but we're not just going to give them spots. Rodin put in his work in the AHL for us and was his teams MVP in a professional league, he's above our prospects in the pecking order based on that alone. I say we sign him to a contract no matter what because he showed faith in us by signing here, I think it's time we return the favor and give him the chance he was supposed to have this year but for the injury. It'll send a message around the league that we show loyalty to players who give us a chance. As well as that it'll create healthy competition within our forward group. Nothing but positive things can happen by offering him the same contract again. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wonder__Bread said:

Yes we have young players coming in but we're not just going to give them spots. Rodin put in his work in the AHL for us and was his teams MVP in a professional league, he's above our prospects in the pecking order based on that alone. I say we sign him to a contract no matter what because he showed faith in us by signing here, I think it's time we return the favor and give him the chance he was supposed to have this year but for the injury. It'll send a message around the league that we show loyalty to players who give us a chance. As well as that it'll create healthy competition within our forward group. Nothing but positive things can happen by offering him the same contract again. 

Players don't care about if the Canucks sign an often injured player they've likely never heard of. They care about money  and the Stanley Cup.  

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Players don't care about if the Canucks sign an often injured player they've likely never heard of. They care about money  and the Stanley Cup.  

:):) Clear and to the point. + 700 players in the NHL, +/- 1500 under contract. I doubt Rodin registers on any of their radars other than Canuck players and maybe some Swedes who know him back home.  The NHL is a results based business and the vast majority of players absolutely realize that. One players bad luck is another's opportunity.

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

You're not wrong but you're definitely not completely right. Yes, players care about the Stanley cup and they also obviously care about money. But what I think is actually a make or break deciding factor when signing with a team is job security and the quality of the people in the organization.

What everyone seems to forget about the NHL is the human side of it. Every player has a family, and that family doesn't like being moved around every year or two. Especially the newer families with kids that are only a few years old. Players are trying to plant roots somewhere for the sake of their families.

Also, how many times have you heard a GM say they made a commitment to the player so they're not trading them after recently signing that player to a contract. Sign and trades rarely happen for that very reason and if they do, it's with player consent and they depart on mutual terms. The NHL is a very small community that's extremely hard to get into, so word goes around quick. Of course the NHL is a results oriented business and money matters but you'd be naive to think about players as robots who only care about winning and money. Look at the Sedins for example, they are going to be Canucks for life because of the roots they've planted here. There are countless other examples. 

Signing Rodin to a sympathy "show me" contract is highly beneficial for our team. It would cost us no more than 950k for 1 year against the cap. Very little risk, high reward. Rodin could've cashed out in Sweden after the season he had yet he chose to give us another shot. Injuries happened which is unfortunate but we should definitely give him another chance to prove himself. If it works out we get a solid top 9 forward who helps the powerplay. if it doesn't work out, it shows the Canucks are a classy organization which is never a bad thing. 

Edited by Wonder__Bread
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Wonder__Bread said:

You're not wrong but you're definitely not completely right. Yes, players care about the Stanley cup and they also obviously care about money. But what I think is actually a make or break deciding factor when signing with a team is job security and the quality of the people in the organization.

What everyone seems to forget about the NHL is the human side of it. Every player has a family, and that family doesn't like being moved around every year or two. Especially the newer families with kids that are only a few years old. Players are trying to plant roots somewhere for the sake of their families.

Also, how many times have you heard a GM say they made a commitment to the player so they're not trading them after recently signing that player to a contract. Sign and trades rarely happen for that very reason and if they do, it's with player consent and they depart on mutual terms. The NHL is a very small community that's extremely hard to get into, so word goes around quick. Of course the NHL is a results oriented business and money matters but you'd be naive to think about players as robots who only care about winning and money. Look at the Sedins for example, they are going to be Canucks for life because of the roots they've planted here. There are countless other examples. 

Signing Rodin to a sympathy "show me" contract is highly beneficial for our team. It would cost us no more than 950k for 1 year against the cap. Very little risk, high reward. Rodin could've cashed out in Sweden after the season he had yet he chose to give us another shot. Injuries happened which is unfortunate but we should definitely give him another chance to prove himself. If it works out we get a solid top 9 forward who helps the powerplay. if it doesn't work out, it shows the Canucks are a classy organization which is never a bad thing. 

mrw-when-the-new-guy-at-work-asks-me-about-a-problem-with-his-code-and-its-above-my-head-145536.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling the Canucks will give Goldobin a long look but want him to develop a little more in the minors to gain strength and work on his defensive game.  He will get key minutes in Utica where in Vancouver he may not get as prominent minutes. 

That allows Anton Rodin to showcase his stuff.  I really looked forward to watching Anton in the preseason and he did not disappoint.  I really am routing for him to make an impact for us next season if he is resigned.

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Apparently he wants to sign here. I assume this is pending a physical:

wow this would be nice.... we'd have something approaching decent depth if this happens. Green could roll 4 lines and have some new options on the PP and there's a lot of competition for bottom 6 spots, and some interesting new trade possibilities. 

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund

Loui-Bo-Boeser

Boucher/Baer-Sutter-Goldy/Rodin/Virtanen

Boucher/Dorsett-Gaunce-Virtanen

Crammer/Molino

Edited by S'all Good Man

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Apparently he wants to sign here. I assume this is pending a physical:

Noticeable contrast between Rodin and Tryamkin. Tram had a good year and solid reasons to return. In contrast, Rodin had injury problems and virtually no chance to play hockey. He had a pretty terrible year, yet he still wants to stay. Good to see his loyalty. I'd say he has a shot at a top 9 spot for sure.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm hopeful we see him on an offensive 3rd line next year. Keep some kids in Utica to dominate and train.

Sedin Sedin Goldy

Baertschi Horvat Rodin 

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

There is going to be a lot of competition for NHL spots next year, which is never a bad thing.  It’s going to be hard to find offensive ice time for a bunch of the young guys, it might be best to have them cook in the AHL for a good chunk of the season.  Depends on the summer training, but Goldy is probably the closest to NHL ready as he’s already shown he can dominate at the AHL level.  That would leave a pretty stacked AHL line up next year too.  It wouldn’t be the worst thing to have the young kids off away from the NHL roster that I can see having some struggles next year.

Then in 2018 we can graduated a lot of those AHL talents into the NHL, hopefully add Dahlin onto our D core, we'd be the next TOlaffs.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sedin Sedin Goldy

Baertschi Horvat Rodin 

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

There is going to be a lot of competition for NHL spots next year, which is never a bad thing.  It’s going to be hard to find offensive ice time for a bunch of the young guys, it might be best to have them cook in the AHL for a good chunk of the season.  Depends on the summer training, but Goldy is probably the closest to NHL ready as he’s already shown he can dominate at the AHL level.  That would leave a pretty stacked AHL line up next year too.  It wouldn’t be the worst thing to have the young kids off away from the NHL roster that I can see having some struggles next year.

Then in 2018 we can graduated a lot of those AHL talents into the NHL, hopefully add Dahlin onto our D core, we'd be the next TOlaffs.

I'm guessing Boeser is ahead of Goldy...

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Rodin, UFA?, Boeser (sheltered ozone line)

Gaunce (ED?), Sutter, Dorsett (matchup dzone line)

Cramarossa

Keep Virtanen, Goldobin, (hopefully) Dahlen etc in Utica with lots of gym time, coaching, building chemistry and dominating offensively. They can get regular call ups with injuries.

At the TDL we pump and dump Rodin and trade that 3C UFA, and Dorsett for prospects/picks and call up the kids. When the season's over they can go back down and try to win a Calder.

#Succession plan