The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

17 hours ago, elvis15 said:

The only reason to use LTI is to allow us to exceed the cap for his replacement. If we don't have those, then we don't need to put a minimum time out on his recovery. We've already opened a roster spot by putting him on IR so that's enough even if he stays out longer.

Right, but doesn't the cap room saved from 10 games (or more) continue to build through the season?

I'm pretty sure that is how we ended up with enough cap room to buy a first line (if we could have) by last year's trade deadline.

3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Right, but doesn't the cap room saved from 10 games (or more) continue to build through the season?

I'm pretty sure that is how we ended up with enough cap room to buy a first line (if we could have) by last year's trade deadline.

If I recall, they can place players on LTIR retroactively if they reach the threshold to realize any benefits. Until then, there's no benefit and if he's ready and/or needed before then, they wouldn't be able to use him.

10 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Nope, we don't save any cap by using LTI. LTI allows us to exceed the cap for a replacement player. So, since it isn't actually any extra space under the cap, we can't bank it to use later.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If I recall, they can place players on LTIR retroactively if they reach the threshold to realize any benefits. Until then, there's no benefit and if he's ready and/or needed before then, they wouldn't be able to use him.

This. If we really needed to exceed the cap for a player while Rodin's still on IR, then we could move him to LTI.

But like I said, we can't bank cap space by using LTI so it doesn't make sense to use it - and in fact we can't use it if we aren't close enough to the cap. With over $3M in cap space, and a player making $950K on IR, we aren't going to use LTI.

23 minutes ago, RyIe said:

I hope Rodin comes back soon and plays on a line with Baertschi and Horvat.  

Yeah. me too. I hope he comes back, and is stronger than ever. But that line might be a little soft. Wish Jake was ready, but he's not. He needs to be playing a lot more. like every night, and in a top six role as well. Best place for that would be Utica, imo. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. me too. I hope he comes back, and is stronger than ever. But that line might be a little soft. Wish Jake was ready, but he's not. He needs to be playing a lot more. like every night, and in a top six role as well. Best place for that would be Utica, imo. 

Better than having Skille IMO. And better for the organization overall to have Jake in a top 6 role in Utica. 

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Our second line is Granlund - Sutter - Hansen.

Skille or Virtanen are on our third line until Rodin comes back.

Debatable... I'd consider Baertchi - Horvat - x more of a scoring line and Sutter's line more of a checking line. They've been a whole hell of a lot better though offensively and defensively so they've been getting more ice time but in my eyes a traditional 2nd line has more of a scoring role while a traditional 3rd line has more of a checking role. So personal wise Horvats line is more of a 2nd line but deployment wise Sutter's line is more of our second line. 

Either way the point is Rodin would take Skille's spot without a doubt

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Debatable... I'd consider Baertchi - Horvat - x more of a scoring line and Sutter's line more of a checking line. They've been a whole hell of a lot better though offensively and defensively so they've been getting more ice time but in my eyes a traditional 2nd line has more of a scoring role while a traditional 3rd line has more of a checking role. So personal wise Horvats line is more of a 2nd line but deployment wise Sutter's line is more of our second line. 

I think the new system this season has EVERY LINE (even the Twins) playing a checking 200 foot game, or - as the players' too often say - "playing the right way".

48 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Except Sutter and Hansen are both more proven scorers than Horvat and Baertschi.

Just because a line is a good two-way line doesn't mean it has to be a third line. Sutter and Hansen are the second line until Horvat and Baertschi show they can consistently outscore them.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

After 4 games Baertschi and Horvat have positive +/-numbers, they are very solid in the own end, better than last year. Maybe they develop into a great two way combo and it looks like it's what WD wants them to be. Roedin should fit with them well, he isn't soft like some suggest and he wasn't the MVP in Sweden last year for nothing. You are not getting MVP honors in any league if you are an one dimensional player.

Edited by the harry