The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks re-assign Brendan Gaunce

-Vintage Canuck-

Gaunce isn't the kind of guy to complain. He's the kind of guy to put his head down and work. He'll go to Utica, and help them out for now, and will come into next season with a determination. Gaunce may not be the most talented guy out there, but I see something in this kid. Something like a Burrows/like quality/attribute. He's not really the best at anything, or really excels at any area of the game, but he puts his head down and he works. I see him making the team out of camp next year, and making the 4th line his staple.

I can't wait until he get's his first goal.

Edit: His first goal was so long ago I forgot it happened... But still, the point remains.

A tad disappointing as he's been doing good as a 4th line guy.  No goals?  Sure, but he rarely ever on the ice when the opposition scores.  He has a +/- of 0 after 47 games.

That being said, he does have some offensive skills in him.  Nothing out of this world, but he knows how to tap in rebounds, driving the net, deflections, etc.  Hopefully he'll be potting in goals down in Utica.  

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Gaunce.  22 years old.  even player in the league playing 4th line duties with questionable mates.  They could be trusted in almost any situation

I think he did amazingly well considering the season we're having and this can only be good for his development.  Now he can go back and start doing the little things again in utica like offensive play and taking more chances on the play.

The guy did everything he needed and did it well.  Can't wait to have him back next season

Definitely going to help Guances development, confidence and offensive game but I'd rather have him playing than useless Megna, Chaput and Skille possibly even Burrows a game here and there for a rest that it looks like he obviously could use time to time. 

If I'm coaching I have Guance as a regular PK guy which I feel is something he does very well at and which is something he could spell old tired weak looking Burrows and Erikasson some nights and is something the other guys can't do as well.

I would also have tried him with the top 3 lines when players who clearly struggled quite often and drag down the Horvat and Sutter lines which is mainly Burrows and Erikasson I see doing that far too often. Even at least give him a shot so at the end of the day you know whether you're doing the right thing and show the kid he worked hard and deserved it. I really feel there's a better offensive side to his game and he never really got the right chance to show it.

Anyway this doesn't surprise me WD never handles much right imo but at least there should be something to be gained and that's a better developed more confident Guance next time around. Green is more than likely a far better coach anyway.

This better mean more Boucher and not the completely useless ineffective Megna. The fact Boucher hasn't gotten a real shot yet is a complete joke this is definitely no way to treat a young player who's new to the organization.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

WD gets his Megna back in the line up.

I really and truly hope it means he'll look at Boucher properly. 

I'll say this about WD; he takes the conditioning of the players seriously, and if Boucher isn't getting a good look I'm assuming it means because he's not where he should be in his opinion. That is literally the ONLY reason I can see him continuing to sit and playing guys like Chaput and Megna instead. 

Huh. Less and less young players excelling under willies "system"  stecher seems to be struggling now too.

But then again that same statement could be used on any canuck over the past two seasons. 

Send them down so green can rebuild the destroyed confidence. 

Chaput megna skillie Larsen are  willies top 4 players. 

Gaunce is probably happy down deep just  to get away from wonky willie. 

We can't condemn the Leafs' treatment of Corrado if we keep doing this to Boucher. I know the 2 aren't the same, but the situation is not too far off. WD claims he doesn't know what he has in Boucher, which is why he's not playing him. How has nobody pointed out to him yet that you can't know what you have in a player unless you play him?

I sure hope the organization NEVER gives up on Gaunce. Has a very mature attitude like Horvat. The guy is only 22 and has a lot of promise down the road. I see him blossoming into a solid 3C who can play a shutdown role and be given offensive opportunities with more minutes and better skilled line mates. 

Gaunce = Manny Malhotra 2.0.

Understandable. This is the path of least resistance due to Gaunce's waivers exemption.

Was he the bottom forward in the order? I really don't think so. Sure his scoring numbers were low, in terms of pure counting stats. But in his role as a defensive 4th line forward, he has some of the best underlying numbers on the team (in terms of events differentials and events against--goals, shots, Corsi/Fenwick, scoring chances, etc).

But this reassignment isn't about merit. It's about mitigating waivers risk.

The upside to this move is that Gaunce will get high minutes in a top-six role with the Comets. He's proven he can be a competent 1/2C at that level. And hopefully he'll rediscover his scoring touch in Utica and possibly be able to carry some production back with him the next time he's recalled to Vancouver.

I'm also hoping he gets some time with Virtanen on his wing. I think those two might have a chance to build some chemistry in Utica. And if they can become a decent duo, they could possibly help each other grow into their NHL roles next season (assuming Gaunce isn't lost to expansion).

If nothing else, the Comets can definitely use the help.

15 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

tsn 1040 said Boucher is skating as an extra forward....and the Megnaffair continues.  

Its Megnafficent. Boucher will only get a look once the team is officially out of the playoffs. 

Archived