The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think Boeser will have an impact on how Goldobin is next year. If Boeser makes the team, he will likely eat up some of the prime minutes/scoring situations that could have otherwise gone to Goldobin. The main thing would be Boeser would likely play on Horvat's wing along with Baertschi. That means Goldobin has to play with Sutter or Chaput/Shore/etc. 

It wouldn't be ideal for Goldobin offensively, but I think playing the bulk of the season, especially at the start, with Sutter could be good for him. That would be the best way to get him to learn the defensive side of the game, similar to Baertschi. If he is played with Horvat, it could be pretty easy to run around offensively. Sutter would be a reliable and responsible player for Goldobin to learn from. He could play with a more creative offense winger as well:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser/Rodin/UFA

Granlund - Sutter - Goldobin

Boucher - Gaunce - Dorsett

Assuming Gaunce is still around. Not sure if using Boucher on the fourth line is the best way to use him. 

I'm not convinced that the Sedins will return as first line players. Their play has already decline this season. Not sure what will happen next season. It's hard to believe that their play will improve next year. I don't blame them, since all players go through this. 

I see this as line up next season: 

Baer-Horvat-Boeser 

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Granlund-Sutter-Goldy

Molino-Gaunce-Dorsett

Extra forward: Boucher (assuming Vegas doesn't pick him)

Roster doesn't look that strong, but mediocre. 

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think Boeser will have an impact on how Goldobin is next year. If Boeser makes the team, he will likely eat up some of the prime minutes/scoring situations that could have otherwise gone to Goldobin. The main thing would be Boeser would likely play on Horvat's wing along with Baertschi. That means Goldobin has to play with Sutter or Chaput/Shore/etc. 

It wouldn't be ideal for Goldobin offensively, but I think playing the bulk of the season, especially at the start, with Sutter could be good for him. That would be the best way to get him to learn the defensive side of the game, similar to Baertschi. If he is played with Horvat, it could be pretty easy to run around offensively. Sutter would be a reliable and responsible player for Goldobin to learn from. He could play with a more creative offense winger as well:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser/Rodin/UFA

Granlund - Sutter - Goldobin

Boucher - Gaunce - Dorsett

Not sure why the Sedins are listed first. They are already the de facto second line and are barely performing at a legitimate second line level. The Horvat line will the be first line. If Boeser has a good camp I expect him to be on that line with Baertschi as the other wing. You would still like that line as the second line rather than the first line but they will be the best line the Canucks have.

The Sedins will play with Granlund. Having them with Eriksson does not work. The Sedins need someone with some speed and who can engage in puck battles on the forecheck.

That leaves Sutter and Eriksson on third line. That line will need to be a shutdown line, and both Sutter and Eriksson are good defensively. Goldobin is not ideal for the other wing but it is hard to see where else he would fit.

The 4th line is up for grabs. Dorsett will be on it if he is healthy. Gaunce might get another shot. Boucher is a terrible fit for the 4th line. I don't see him on the team next year. Virtanen has a shot, so does Labate, so does Camerossa, so does Chaput, etc. And maybe Benning will acquire someone else. So I have:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund

Eriksson-Sutter-Goldobin

Dorsett-??-??

I am not optimistic about Rodin, but he also has a shot to make the team.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The kid has been sick, up and down all season long. This end of the season is merely a taste tester for next season. I think Goldobin will be in the same boat as Dahlen for fighting for a roster spot (mention Boeser as well now that he's proving he might stick in the NHL). We've got a lot of these fringe NHL-AHL type players who will hopefully make it but they can all look at Granlund and Baertschi for advice because IMO they're similar players going down exactly the same pathway. Goldobin's done his AHL time and I think he deserves more of an NHL look next year but honestly for me those 3 guys are on even terms and it'll just depend who comes into training camp fittest and most ready.

My money would be on Boeser. But hope they all make it eventually.

I would kind of like to see us start the season looking similar to this. I wouldn't necessarily want to heap a heavy load of responsibility on Boeser too early myself.

Baertchi Horvat Eriksson

Sedin Sedin Goldobin

Granlund Sutter Boeser

UFA energy guy Chaput Dorsett

Baertschi Horvat Goldobin

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Ericksson Sutter Boeser

Not every player has to be a Selke candidate. I'd like to see something like this next year.  Put Goldobin in a offensive role and have him utilise that speed as he is our fastest skater now(or close to).

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

If Boucher is the sure thing that many on CDC think then Vegas will take him and Gaunce will be spared. I don't have a problem with that.

Goldobin and Boucher are both maybe's.  Sbisa is the one Vegas will take, don't you think?

Just now, Alflives said:

Goldobin and Boucher are both maybe's.  Sbisa is the one Vegas will take, don't you think?

Goldobin is exempt I believe. No? Still hoping that Benning has a d-man trade simmering. Losing a top 4D to Vegas should not be an option.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Goldobin is exempt I believe. No? Still hoping that Benning has a d-man trade simmering. Losing a top 4D to Vegas should not be an option.

that's excellent Goldy is exempt.  That's a great trade getting an exempt NHL ready young guy for Hansen!  Yes, hopes are high Edler is the one moved:)

Lines at practice today:

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Chaput

Baer - Horvat - Boeser

Eriksson - Sutter - Boucher

Molino - Shore - Biega

Looks like Goldy will be the man out, Willie is killing me... :lol:

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, b3. said:

Lines at practice today:

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Chaput

Baer - Horvat - Boeser

Eriksson - Sutter - Boucher

Molino - Shore - Biega

Looks like Goldy will be the man out, Willie is killing me... :lol:

Hey!  Why play the young guy who might excite the fans, when Willie has a handful of fringe NHL grinders?  :picard:  Thanks Willie.

• Upvote 2

My opinion on Goldobin so far is that the skill is clearly there but the compete level isn't quite there for him to be a consistent play at the NHL level yet.

It looks like he is one of those players that was able to get to this level based on superior talent and skill so that he is not used to being at a place where almost everyone that he's playing against has nearly as much skill as he does and/or is bigger and stronger with superior compete level to make his skill useless.

A consistent work ethics from him would get us a skilled top 6 winger. If he doesn't ramp up his intensity level, then well, I don't want to think about that case just yet. 

I'm optimistic, it seems like he loves hockey and the players who love hockey eventually figure it out.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Baertschi Horvat Goldobin

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Ericksson Sutter Boeser

Not every player has to be a Selke candidate. I'd like to see something like this next year.  Put Goldobin in a offensive role and have him utilise that speed as he is our fastest skater now(or close to).

Apparently some want Goldy in the minors and Rodin brought back to see what he can do.

Also Goldy apparently based on radio speculation could be a healthy scratch vs the Kings to make room for the newest kid Molino and the return of the 6 million dollar man.

This is crazy. @Rollieo Del Fuego

Looks like you just might get your wish if they are scratching Goldy he may be the odd man out come trading camp. Which is sickening.

Edited by Chip Kelly

Yeah good luck selling tickets when you ice a lineup like that.  Finally someone on this stale and slow team shows some offensive prowess and this team does whatever it can to coach that talent out of him.  Not every dam forward needs to be a Selke calibre defensive forward that's needs the coaches permission to exit the defensive zone.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Kid lost a bunch of weight and hasn't looked himself since coming back from being sick. I don't know why you guys would have a problem with this if that's what they decide.

Remember how people reacted to granlund after he was traded here at TD.  He put up 3 points in 16 games with the canucks to finish that season off and people wrote him off too. 

• Upvote 2