The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

13 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I see Goldy as high on other teams radars as waiver bait. It would be a mistake IMO to send him down. 

LE might need a wake up call.  If he isn’t putting in the effort I don’t see Green letting him on the ice to set a bad example for the younger players. 

I agree about goldy... only a small sample size this season, but it seems like beagle represents the veteran leadership you want for the young bloods, while loui might be questionable. but if his effort is good enough, his defensive game is pretty decent, and that's always a good example

14 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Things to like about Goldy so

far; 

able to play either wing with the skilled guys, this gives Green another top six Ish forward with skill to spread out Offence. 

He looks stronger than last year, more confidence.  

So far I see him on the opening roster as a LW. I think he has the lead in Daniels old spot. 

He needs to be active in all thre zones which is still lacking, but improved from last year. 

8 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Goldy played well tonight and looks like he might be a fit with Pettersson.

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I agree that Goldy is a lock. Simply put, theres a lot of factors that are going in his favor

1) Chemistry with EP and Baertchi. Its one thing that the line has been consistently be together during games, its another that they are also together in PRACTICE as well. Clearly Travis and the coaching staff sees something that a lot of us dont see.Tethering his talents to the Golden swedish child really really helps his cause

2) Having an impressive camp and preseason

3) His waiver status

4) Louis Ericsson injury

If you add all of them together , it seems like hes a shoe in to be in the opening roster. When Goldy came up camp, he had to prove himself to be on the team. The narrative now is trying to find reasons to have him NOT be on the team. Hes done very well and can't wait to see what he does this season

I am a huge Goldy fan but he's far from a lock.  Travis Green had to have another talk with him during one of the intermissions last night.  I think his patience is wearing thin with Goldobin.  Goldy is such a tease, fantastic one night but then goes invisible for a couple of games.  Last night, aside from the SO goal, wasn't a good game for him. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

Umm...he was pretty invisible last night. He can't afford many of those.

I disagree he was creative and did some good things on O as well as D. LA has a very heavy team , they are hard to play against . Goldobin has progressed he needs a few more games they are not going to put him on waivers , Offence is needed for this goal scoring challenged team. 

43 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

I disagree he was creative and did some good things on O as well as D. LA has a very heavy team , they are hard to play against . Goldobin has progressed he needs a few more games they are not going to put him on waivers , Offence is needed for this goal scoring challenged team. 

Nobody said anything about waivers. I think he's on the team (for now) but he can't have many nights off like that game or he will be in the press box with regularity and eventually replaced. 

Edited by aGENT

Not many gifted players play well against the Kings A hack and wack in your face type team. Personally I would give him a few more games . Give him some leash let him be creative before being critical, Greens coaching is tough love on mistakes , motivation for gifted players is go out and create, give them tons of ice time. The more they play the more they want the responsibility to play . A short leash will only make a player scared of making a mistake, tentative . Look at Jake throw him on the second line give him lots of ice time . and I bet you will see a different player.

• Upvote 1

I think Goldy's stock rose when he showed that he thinks the game at the level of Pettersson (as did Baertschi).  For this reason, I think that Goldy is going to get every opportunity in pre-season.  Green is trying a few other players to see if they are a good match with EP too.

I think that this is the reason why we are not going to see Virtanen with EP.

EP has so far become the straw that stirs the drink for the Canucks and Green is trying to find the best partners for him.  

I much prefer Leipsic over Goldobin. Skill-wise they are similar but Leipsic plays with a lot more drive. Ideally we would have them both on the roster. 

I also think that Motte has earned a spot on the opening night roster but the space isn't there. He has been probably the 5th or 6th best forward thus far. 

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think Goldy's stock rose when he showed that he thinks the game at the level of Pettersson (as did Baertschi).  For this reason, I think that Goldy is going to get every opportunity in pre-season.  Green is trying a few other players to see if they are a good match with EP too.

I think that this is the reason why we are not going to see Virtanen with EP.

EP has so far become the straw that stirs the drink for the Canucks and Green is trying to find the best partners for him.  

i would like to see goldy EP n virt on a line...we ll know virt is not a playmaker

• Upvote 1

He shows flashes of pure talent. Then disappears. Considering where we are in the rebuild and Goldys potential he should be given the year to figure it out ala Jake V style. Green seems good at this and I hope they just have some more patience with the kid. 

• Upvote 1

Motte has largely outplayed everyone on the roster so far. I mentioned it before in regards to Leipsic specifically but I think Motte has also passed Goldy on the depth chart. Especially since Motte seems to be able to play up and down the lineup. Goldy has moments of being great, but he had that last year too. Moments. I need more from him, and I think Goldy will be on this roster to start the year purely cause he may need a longer look than most and unfortunately for Motte he is waiver exempt whereas Goldy is not.

• Upvote 2

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, aGENT said:

Watching the little cream puff stand up to Tkachuck last night was endearing :wub: :lol:

I loved that lol. When he shoved Tkachuik back, I thought "oh boy, better watch it Nik", but he stood up and it dissolved quickly. Good on him for standing up and giving a little push back. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Motte has largely outplayed everyone on the roster so far. I mentioned it before in regards to Leipsic specifically but I think Motte has also passed Goldy on the depth chart. Especially since Motte seems to be able to play up and down the lineup. Goldy has moments of being great, but he had that last year too. Moments. I need more from him, and I think Goldy will be on this roster to start the year purely cause he may need a longer look than most and unfortunately for Motte he is waiver exempt whereas Goldy is not.

I've been very impressed by Motte as well. He gives it 100%, plays a gritty tenacious game. I'd be happy for him if he gets a spot, but...logjam.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Mottes waiver exemption of one game will probably hold him back. Personally I hope he goes to Utica and works on his offensive skills and becomes a more well rounded player. I think Goldy, Gaudette and Leipsic make it but I do think Motte has outplayed Granlund, Gaunce, Gagner and Schaller. Wouldnt be hurt to see Gaunce and Gagner waived as both have looked poor on the ice.

Baer-Horvat-Boeser     All situations line. More in the offensive zone

Goldy-Pettersson-Sutter    Sheltered offensive line. Primary offensive starts.

Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen     Crash and bash all situation line. Would be great on the breakout.

Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson    Shutdown defensive line. Primary defensive starts.

Granlund, Schaller

Edler-Guddy

Hutton-Tanev

Del Zotto-Stecher

Juolevi

Marky

Nilsson

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 25/09/2018 at 3:26 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Mottes waiver exemption of one game will probably hold him back. Personally I hope he goes to Utica and works on his offensive skills and becomes a more well rounded player. I think Goldy, Gaudette and Leipsic make it but I do think Motte has outplayed Granlund, Gaunce, Gagner and Schaller. Wouldnt be hurt to see Gaunce and Gagner waived as both have looked poor on the ice.

Baer-Horvat-Boeser     All situations line. More in the offensive zone

Goldy-Pettersson-Sutter    Sheltered offensive line. Primary offensive starts.

Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen     Crash and bash all situation line. Would be great on the breakout.

Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson    Shutdown defensive line. Primary defensive starts.

Granlund, Schaller

Edler-Guddy

Hutton-Tanev

Del Zotto-Stecher

Juolevi

Marky

Nilsson

I agree with the top line.

Second line has a little bit to much inexperience with both Goldy and Pettersson on it.

Third line seems ok.

Fourth line would be effective if Loui could regain some of his scoring ability.