The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

10 Canucks could realistically hit 20 goals next season

*Buzzsaw*

I agree all, 10 have that potential but I doubt all 10 will get there (I do realize you aren't saying all 10 will get there)  A lot of it depends on deployment  If the Horvat, Baertschi, and Boeser stay together next year I could see all 3 getting 20 goals.  If the Sedin's have a bounce back year and play with Granlund the whole year I see 2 of Henrik, Daniel, Granlund hitting at least 20.  The rest of the group?  If the top six are what I already mentioned I only see 20 goals coming from one of Sutter or Eriksson.  I don't think all 3 of Goldobin, Boucher, and Rodin will be on the roster next year.  May only see 1 of them after pre-season on the big club.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser   <--------three 20 goal scorers?

D. Sedin H. Sedin Granlund  <-----two 20 goal scorers?

Eriksson Sutter Virtanen  <---------one 20 goal scorer?

Megna Gaunce Dorsett  <----------three no 20 goal scorers?

Goldobin

By no means do I believe that is how it'll look come game 1 next year, just more a rough place to start.  Looks like there is finally some depth.  Hopefully this competition of spots can create some urgency and snarl amongst the forward group.

I will admit that what you have proposed here is very possible. But the real problem becomes effective ice-time. For example Loui puts up 25 goals over 82 with an average icetime of 19 minutes/game on the 1st line. Drop that to 15 minutes/game on the 2nd line or 12 minutes/game on the 3rd and that production will suffer. So only 3 or 4 guys will average first line time and another 3 or 4 averaging 2nd line time that leaves 3rd line average time for the rest...it starts to limit their offensive zone time production.

NOTE: Since we're talking offensive numbers I've included typical icetime for the top 6 or 7 spent on the PP. PK time is basically irrelevant in calculating offensive potential (defensive zone start etc...in other words even Connor McDavid's offensive numbers would suffer if some of his 5-5 time was taken away and used on the PK instead).

Having 20 goal scorers after the first line means a team is deep...and will go far in the playoffs. Having 20 goal scorers after the third line is almost unheard of. If a guy is putting up 20 goals with half the icetime of the first line...how long before the coach takes advantage of that and moves him up the lineup? This is why you will rarely see more than 4 or 5 on a top team these days...that and free-agency (ie/ Brian Bickell effect...nobody will be paying 5mil for 3rd liners anymore, days gone by).

I think we will potentially see 4...but a big dropoff after that. We might get an average of 22 from 4 guys (88 goals), an average of 12 from the next 6 guys (another 72 goals), an average of 5 from the next 7 guys (35 more) and a few table scraps (maybe 10 more?) from the rest...that's 205 goals. The past 2 seasons we've gone 191 in 2015/16 and after tonight I'm guessing 183 this season...so 205 would be a good step in the right direction for sure.

I think we'll see 4-6 next year and I might be optimistic saying that.  In addition to what ABNuck said about ice time, injuries have played a very significant part of what has transpired with this team over the last few years.   Probably 3/4 of the list of 'potential' 20 goal scorers missed at least a quarter of the season.  Injuries have been such a determining factor this season that they probably deserve their own thread.  Why do we have 4x the man games missed as Washington?

58 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I agree all, 10 have that potential but I doubt all 10 will get there (I do realize you aren't saying all 10 will get there)  A lot of it depends on deployment  If the Horvat, Baertschi, and Boeser stay together next year I could see all 3 getting 20 goals.  If the Sedin's have a bounce back year and play with Granlund the whole year I see 2 of Henrik, Daniel, Granlund hitting at least 20.  The rest of the group?  If the top six are what I already mentioned I only see 20 goals coming from one of Sutter or Eriksson.  I don't think all 3 of Goldobin, Boucher, and Rodin will be on the roster next year.  May only see 1 of them after pre-season on the big club.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser   <--------three 20 goal scorers?

D. Sedin H. Sedin Granlund  <-----two 20 goal scorers?

Eriksson Sutter Virtanen  <---------one 20 goal scorer?

Megna Gaunce Dorsett  <----------three no 20 goal scorers?

Goldobin

By no means do I believe that is how it'll look come game 1 next year, just more a rough place to start.  Looks like there is finally some depth.  Hopefully this competition of spots can create some urgency and snarl amongst the forward group.

I lIke your concept. but I think Goldie is in a make or break state. I think we are far more likely to see him start at the nhl then Jake.   Jake might get baked a little longer if he doesn't blow off the doors at camp. I suspect he will be coming in hot and there a good chance he will make it.  

I think we are going to be far deeper then we've ever seen in the modern era of nhl hockey.   I think it's a little much to expect baer bo and Boeser to all notch 20 but I wouldn't be surprised in 1 or possibly 2 reach 30.  baer too me hasnt shown he can reach 20 yet but u would imagine with another season it's conceivable.   

I hope Rodin makes the team next year but he will most likely start on the 3rd line if Boucher hasn't taken his spot.  

I think we are going to have a real bounce back season regardless of who's the coach. I don't see Eriksson being this terrible next season and if Brock is in the lineup we could see some serious point totals from him.  

if Brock improves his skating I wouldn't be surprised if he is on the sedins wing.

I'm projecting

Baer Bo Eriksson 

Sedin Sedin Boeser 

will be our top 6 next season. Jake and granny have chemistry so if Jake makes it is suspect them together with Goldie.   but that then brings up the Q where does Sutter fit?  

so many possibilities. I guess we won't know until the off season has started.  I'm excited too see where we will be standing come next season.  so many talented options. the good thing about Jake in the minors though though is he can be the 1st call up. :)

we always have injuries. stecher was a call up who just never got sent down due to injuries. I suspect we will see some injuries again next year. I just hope they are more cautious and yank guys out of the lineup before the small injuries become larger ones. we need to take more pre cautions and preventive measures. 

re·al·is·ti·cal·ly
ˌrēəˈlistik(ə)lē/
adverb
adverb: realistically
  1. 1.
    in a way that demonstrates a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.
    "how well can each candidate realistically expect to do?"
  2. 2.
    in a way that is accurate and true to life.
    "this film realistically simulates the effects that a nuclear war could have"

Has any team ever had 10 guys with 20 goals? Seems like it would be the record or close to it. 

Six or Seven 20 goal guys makes a team elite and the OP thinks the team that will be league bottom bottom feeder will get 10 guys scoring 20g? 

No chance. 

Edit. NHL record is 11 for 77/78 Bruins. There are 3 teams who have had 10, the Bruins, Habs and Blues. All more than 35 years ago. 

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd rather land a top center in this draft, move Sutter, and get whichever center we land in this draft (assuming they're ready and look good in camp) into the lineup with some somewhat sheltered minutes. Sutter is a good player, but I really don't think he's what we need right now. I don't really like the idea of Goldy, Granlund, or Boucher playing significant minutes with someone who isn't traditionally much of a puck distributor. 

Also, it seems to me as though extremely high end young players are needing less and less time to marinate before making the jump. Honestly, I think it's become overstated, especially in this market, where we're still not really used to picking near the top of the list. 

I don't see how Sutter doesn't fit. With him in the lineup, Horvat and Henrik's line can have more favorable zone starts. We want to see Horvat in a more offensive role right? And we certainly don't want the Henrik's line defending. I know our team struggles to score but you still need players like Sutter. Plus, he did score 17 which is only 3 from the team leader Horvat.

8 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Horvat: Yes

Baer: Was given the most minutes and the biggest opportunity of his career this year, if someone was after his spot I doubt he would have held onto it, I think you have seen his best now and as internal competition increases, he will fall away and eventually off the team. 12G

Grandlund: Again, overachieved due to lack of competition, it's all downhill from here, he and Baer were placeholders until the real scores arrived. 9G

Boeser: 30G

Sutter: Will sprain a ball early on, 11 Gs

Daniel: Rebound 27G

Eriksson: Is he still here? 18G

Boucher: Doesn't make the team out of camp

Goldy: Does not stick on the main roster 5G

Rodin: The miracle finally happens 12 G in 20 games to start, then goes down to injury

Henrik: 20 even baby

Patrick: 22G

(And after we send Tanev, Virtannen, Demko and a 2nd to Buffalo)

Reinhart: 28G

I believe that lack of competition will not apply for Granny, his competition lies between him and his bro Mikael.  They have been very equal in all aspects throughout there careers until now and i have a feeling our granny will stop at nothing to become as good as his older bro, if not better.  Only time will tell but i think Markus has a ton of untapped potential still and could be a star on this team for years to come. 

Yes, any of those players could hit 20 goals next season, but unlikely that they all will. Bo, Granny, Lui, Daniel probably will, Baer, Sutter and Brock have a good chance, but the probability drops off after that.

I would, however, bet money that the team will score at least 10 percent more goals next year just due to the normal expected improvement of all the young players. And if the team could make it through next season with fewer than average injuries, I would expect at least 20 percent more goals.

The entire team scored 180 goals this season (Before tonight's game so let's add 0 or 1 to this total). In order to get only 10 players to score alone 200 next year the Canucks will need a big jump in their offensive production next year. I doubt it if Desjardins is still there.

8 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Why does everyone write off Rodin?? I bet he comes back next season 100% and dangerous... I have a feeling they just didnt want to expose him,

From what we saw out of him in the preseason that alone should get him another look next season. He was the best player on the ice in more then one game. Worst case scenario after 10 or 20 games we let him go if he's got nothing, but man he was a stud before he got injured. Really hope he gets another chance.

2 hours ago, shazzam said:

I don't see how Sutter doesn't fit. With him in the lineup, Horvat and Henrik's line can have more favorable zone starts. We want to see Horvat in a more offensive role right? And we certainly don't want the Henrik's line defending. I know our team struggles to score but you still need players like Sutter. Plus, he did score 17 which is only 3 from the team leader Horvat.

I might agree with you if we were anything close to a contender.

As it sits right now, I wouldn't actually mind the Sedin line defending sometimes. I'm not really worried about their offensive numbers, or how inept they may be defensively, as we're not anywhere near being a contender yet. More than anything, I want to see our young players put in a position to succeed, and I don't think Sutter is the right player to be breaking our young, offensive minded wingers into the league with. 

I don't know if Boucher makes the team next year. He's been waived twice already this season and has barely stuck on a very depleted roster. We know what Boucher can bring and it's replaceable offence. I'd hate to see Boucher take ice time away from Goldobin and Rodin. At this point we don't know what those guys could become.

The first 8 or 9 you mentioned I can see. I doubt all of them will but there's at least hope some of them will continue to develop accordingly.

Rodin.... why Rodin?.... He might not even be on the team next year with all of these other prospects and signings. In fact, there are even rumours he'll be in the KHL next season.

20 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yes, this year the pucks haven't been going in... but next year...  things are definitely looking up.

Look at the list of players who could easily hit 20 goals:

Horvat  (has a lock on a 20+ goal season next year)

Baertschi  (going to get better with Horvat and Boeser)

Boeser  (4 goals in 8 games as a Rookie!)
Sutter  (playing with a bum wrist all year)

Daniel  (this year was not typical... can do much better with a stronger defense breaking the Sedins out of the zone)

Granlund  (at age 23, still improving, can beat 19 goals easily)

Eriksson  (this year was not typical, 20 goals easily within reach)

Boucher  (5 goals in 26 games this year, also only 23)

Goldobin  (a longshot, but really just scratching the surface of his potential now)

Rodin  (another longshot... but still possible)

------

I think Canuck's offensive potential is much greater than people realize...  by the way, I didn't include Jonathan Dahlen.  B)

All depending on who plays with who & how much PP time they get.

I see realistically 3 guys hitting 20 goals & maybe 4 if things go really good.

Baertschi Horvat Eriksson

Granlund H.Sedin Boeser

D.Sedin  Sutter  Goldobin

1st PP:?

Boeser Horvat Eriksson

Baertschi  Stecher

2nd PP:?

D.Sedin H.Sedin Godoblin

Hutton  Granlund

So I see two guys from line #1 & most likely one from line #2. Horvat, Eriksson, Boeser. If things go really well then possibly Granlund or Baertschi reaching 20 goals next season.

Where I do see more goals coming from would be hopefully lines 3 & 4. Hopefully a few 10-15 goal guys.

15 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Daniel scored 28 goals last year... the year before that he had 20.

It's a multiplication factor... if Boeser becomes a legitimate scoring threat on the PP, the other teams will be focused on him, and Daniel gets more room.

Same with Eriksson, who typically has up and down years.

I think five players who hit or exceed 20 goals is realistic, with no one player scoring more than 30.

I understand that Daniel scored 28 and 20 the previous 2 years. Their overall production have been on steady decline, and their offense play and zone time controlling the play is also declining. Daniel scoring 28 last year you have to give credit to Hansen who's drawing some of the pressure away from Daniel. Now that he's gone I don't see the likes of Megna or whomever being able to do the same and Sedins are another year older. The Eriksson experiment with the sedin didn't seem to work. He needs a player that can set him up and it didn't work with hank nor bo. So he's gonna be stuck playing with sutter who ain't a playmaker.. so I dunno if eriksson will ever regain his scoring. I mean 3-5 players hitting 20 goal isn't unrealistic but too much needs to happen for that to happen

Archived