The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Benning just a checker player at trades

cowboy644

Like most I find Benning a terrific scout but his trades all seem one dementional.By that I mean he seems to trade more by either "I don't care for this player so I'm moving him"or deals like at the trade deadline which were not "I want Goldy and Dahlin so I'll trade you this" but rather "I have Hansen and Burrows available so what will you give me?" Dahlin was a gift in my opinion based on what I've heard about his upside.

What I'm wondering is can he do a multiple trade deal at all like a Burke deal when he got the twins.Burke went Bryan McCabe and the Canucks 3rd overall pick to Chicago for their 4th overall pick.It took half the night but he convinced Tampa to trade their first overall pick for the Canucks now 4th overall pick and 2 third round picks.He then traded the 1st overall pick to Atlanta with assurances from the Thrashers they wouldn't take Daniel and Henrik.Atlanta agreed and took Patrik Stefan 1st overall.As they say,the rest is history.

I guess what i'm asking is do you believe Benning can make a deal for say Druin for  the Canucks 5th and Tanev then trade him for a young 1st line centerman either on another teams roster or in their system?Of course everything would be in place before the deals were struck.Is asking a checker player to learn to play chess asking to much?

I think you meant "one-dimensional".

His trades up to the Dahlen and Goldobin trades have not been perfect but I am encouraged by this TDL. Hoping he continues the trend because a GM needs to be the full package, not just scouting.

But if there was a list of gms I'd prefer Benning to avoid. It would be Lou Lamerello and Steve Yzerman. Do not want Jim talking a trade with the guy who essentially got Ben Bishop for nothing. I'm cynically expecting to lose a 2nd and take on Ryan Callaghan in the process.

what you described is how trade deadline trades work.  you have players that you likely wont resign next year so you trade them before their contract runs out.  every GM in the league is on the phones saying "i've got this guy, what would you pay for him?".

The kind of trades you are describing no longer occur in the NHL. How many top 5 picks have teams traded in the recent past? There is really only one way to build a proper contender and that is through drafting. I would say GMs are more intelligent than they have ever been, guys like Millbury, Clarke, Keenan etc would never get the job in today's NHL. Ergo its harder to fleece teams now days, most GMs are far more shrewd and careful with their assets.

the dealing for the twins was a once in a lifetime trade for Burke, he's never done anything like that before or since. 

As far as trades go, Benning took at lot of crap when they were first made but has got very little attention since - the deals for Granny and Baer e.g, turned out great but where's the press on that? Gudbranson could turn out great as well we'll see. 

They don't call him Trader Jim for nothing

He did some wheeling and dealing in his first summer but we haven't seen much since.  So, I would say he can make deals like you suggest, but he seems to prefer not to.  I suspect because with every deal, there is a risk and with every moving piece, you increase your risk.

So, he moved Garrison for a 2nd to free up the cap space so he could sign a free agent sniper (Vrbata) and a starting goalie (Miller).  He used the 2nd to trade for a 23 year old prospect who was ready for the NHL (Vey).

He moved Kesler for Bonino, Sbisa and a 1st (McCann)

So it's not really like Burkie pulling rabbits out of a hat to draft the twins but there's only 1 Burkie (thank God)

OP doesn't seem to realize the progression that lead to Kesler essentially being the principle in acquiring Gudbranson, Sutter and Sbisa.

The 5th and Tanev for Drouin would be an utterly horrible deal for this team - purporting to be a chess player to Benning's mere checkers is pretty arrogant - and that proposal just adds the element of irony to it.

Bennings trades have been like throwing a set of kids water wings  to a guy about to go off Niagara Falls...

His trades were a sad attempt to prop up a club about to fall off the cliff.  Doomed to fail. 

Too often he went to the flea market and tried to find a designer jacket....  Benning loves former top picks that crashed in development now available at fire sale prices...

Simply did not work. 

No short term fix  for our club  - Draft and Develop.    Bring Virt back to the team next year. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Bennings trades have been like throwing a set of kids water wings  to a guy about to go off Niagara Falls...

His trades were a sad attempt to prop up a club about to fall off the cliff.  Doomed to fail. 

Too often he went to the flea market and tried to find a designer jacket....  Benning loves former top picks that crashed in development now available at fire sale prices...

Simply did not work. 

No short term fix  for our club  - Draft and Develop.    Bring Virt back to the team next year. 

Once again King, yours is the voice of reason.  Too many draft picks sent away.

30 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

Why would you trade for Drouin, one of the best young centres in the game, and then turn around and try and trade him for a young centre on another team?

Drouin is the prize!

Drouin is a winger. I think it would be stupid to trade for him and flip him right away but just so ya know

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Simply did not work. 

look who bought a bag of junk metaphors at the dollar store.

use as many as you can! they're real cheap.

Multi-player + pics/prospects deals of any significance aren't as common these days in the new NHL where cap trumps everything.   You're criticizing Benning for not doing what other GM'S aren't doing either - not necessarily realistic commentary imo. 

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Simply did not work. 

A bit harsh but I too would prefer it if Jim stayed away from the phones. So far with this management we have seen that they are great at amateur scouting and not so great at the pro scouting. Draft is our strength and that's where the focus should be. Too many people think that you can trade out of this hole that the Canucks are in, but the reality is that you just can't. There are no shortcuts to get out of this.

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

What?  They knew this team was transitioning the entire time.  His hands were tied by bad contracts for key pieces that needed moving, and also kneecapped by players that completely fell off the cliff giving them zero value.

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

His trades have all been for younger guys with many years left in the tank.  They were at worst, depth filler. And from this filler, unbeknownst to this management team, new combinations and core pieces have and will emerge.

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

This is a great strategy for bulk acquisition, you are simple going to get, as mentioned above, some real gems pop up occasionally, and the only way to accomplish this is to take the risk in conjunction with volume.

18 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You don't develop every single prospect as an 18/19 year old in the NHL. Virt makes the team when he earns it.  Same as everyone else.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

look who bought a bag of junk metaphors at the dollar store.

use as many as you can! they're real cheap.

Giving up 2nd round  draft picks for 3 rd line players and busts  isn't cheap though...

14 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Drouin is a winger. I think it would be stupid to trade for him and flip him right away but just so ya know

Right, thanks my error and fixed.  Late night.  

But still would never flip him, he would be such a big part of our offensive if we ever got him.  

1 minute ago, xereau said:

This is a great strategy for bulk acquisition, you are simple going to get, as mentioned above, some real gems pop up occasionally, and the only way to accomplish this is to take the risk in conjunction with volume.

Great strategy to acquire a  AHL calibre  NHL team full of  fringe 3 rd / 4th liners....  

Not the way to find elite  top 6 players forwards or top 4 D though. 

Archived