The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton: Do We Really Need Him?

Horvats_Big_Head

There are rumors that the canucks aren't too high on him and may look to acquire another centre like Ryan Spooner for him. Hope that isn't true. I love Hutton.  And with tryamkin gone our defense isn't as deep. We need to keep all our Dmen

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Facts are staring at you right in the face. Horvat and Hutton are the two best picks Gillis made. Have a look on hockeydb, and see Canucks drafting from 2007-2013. 

That's the reason Benning has had to try and revamp our prospect pool, and provide serviceable players to fill the gaps in the meantime.

He didn't say picks. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

It depends on the return, doesn't it?  Would you trade Hutton straight up for Drouin or Reinhart?  

Bingo!  Yes it does depend on the return.  This is what we hear time and again from Benning.  He's not shopping Edler or Tanev or Hutton.  BUT if he was made an offer that he couldn't refuse, he would consider the deal.

Don't read anything into those comments.  It is simply the truth and it goes for any player in the league.

22 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Wow okay.

Sbisa has been brutal the last couple years we have had him. Sure, he has flashes of a great player, but is so bad with the puck so much of the time in his own end. He is a turnover machine. I hate Edler because although I must admit he is a very good player, he seems to always f*ck up when it matters most. in 2013 when his shot got blocked and Raffi Torres scored. Tons of bad penalties at bad times. And he doesn't seem to care either, always has that blank stare on his face. Add to the fact that he said he would refuse a trade, virtually handcuffing us into trading Juice. He is a selfish man who is there to collect a paycheck, nothing more. I am flabbergasted that not everyone hates Edler like me. 

And yeah, I was saying the second best thing Gillis has done for this current squad. Hutton is the second best draft pick Gillis ever made. This is obvious. 

Both sbisa and Edler are playing more minutes than they should be. This last season Dbisa settled in more and played better had more comfortable minutes. Edler is stuck as our #1 when he should be a #2/#3 at most.

this is what happens when you take good players and put them in positions where great players should be.

guy has a ntc and every player should have more obligations to his family more so than the team. They earned the NTC else what's the point of signing them.

gillis was a solid c+ GM he made some great moves to compliment a contending team but hit on only a few picks.

Horvat is great. Hutton is great for a 5th rounder but he's no game breaker...

for that reason and all of the NTC that he handed out he gets a C+ an overall meh. But mostly it puts Benning in a tough spot because he doesn't have the luxury of the sedins, kesler and company 

7 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Eddie Lack was a lovable character and great on twitter. He loves tacos as well.

And there were rumors that he wasn't exactly the most popular guy in the dressing room. 

As fans, we love an outgoing player with a bit of swagger. But look at PK Subban. His personaliy is what got him traded. 

I like Hutton and I think he's a good player to have, especially now that Tryamkin is gone. But he is by no means untouchable and I wouldn't call him part of our core at this point.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Facts are staring at you right in the face. Horvat and Hutton are the two best picks Gillis made. Have a look on hockeydb, and see Canucks drafting from 2007-2013. 

That's the reason Benning has had to try and revamp our prospect pool, and provide serviceable players to fill the gaps in the meantime.

What facts are you talking about?

he said Hutton is the 2nd best thing gillis did for the team.  Not the second best pick.  

That is not a fact.  It is a wrong statement

3 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

I'm not sure it's necessarily "hate" as you say. Speaking for myself, I consider it a 'swedish overdose'. For the last 15+ years the most longstanding top players on the Canucks have been from Sweden, and let's be honest, the ones we've had have looked pretty apathetic at times and largely ineffective in the playoffs. Now we have another in Eriksson who's proven to be most effective when playing in international tournaments or in contract years.

Dont get me wrong, they've been very good players we've had - Naslund, the Sedins, Edler, etc. - but as it goes without saying, they haven't been the top players we've needed to get us over the championship hump. Personally I dont hate any of them, I've just had enough (overdosed) of their style of play, turn the other cheek attitude, regular season performance in the playoffs, play great when it doesn't benefit the the Canucks and then appear disinterested when they do, or just straight-up look like they're here to cash the cheques. As far as I'm concerned they can all go right now, but I'll wish them the best as they walk away. Not hate, just had enough.

Ben Hutton's a keeper.

Dear Mr. Buick, I disagree with the bolded statement in one case, the Sedins and Edler played quite well up to and including game 2 of the 2011 cup run, at which point da bruins out-muscled and out-intimidated them.

So with that said, will have to agree, swedes have not gotten us over the "championship hump".

you also did not mention Ohlund by name, who I believe was one of the best dmen we ever had, Swedish or otherwise.

As it was mentioned before, the rumour is that the Canucks aren't too high on him and where there is smoke there is usually some truth. Maybe they see him as having the most trade value from the back end? (especially if they are reluctant to trade tanev/edler). It wouldn't be my first choice but if you can get some scoring out of the deal, I'd consider it. Plus he isn't "one of Benning's guys" - he's a Gillis pick and we all know how that's working out for J. Subban.

11 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

The answer is yes.

I am simply appalled at all of the people who are saying we should trade Ben Hutton, all because we made some depth signing today. Yeah, maybe Mr. Conservative Benning is saying we are not going to trade Tanev or Edler now, but there is a long way to go until the draft. When we are rebuilding and trying to get younger, why on Earth would we trade one of our best young Dman? It is dumb on so many levels. 

Reasons to not trade Ben Hutton:

1. He is a beauty and fan favorite. Everybody loves the guy. He is the guy in the locker room that everybody likes because he is so goofy. He will keep some of the guys together. Anybody who has been on a hockey team knows that these goofballs are important.

2. He is YOUNG with an affordable cap hit. He is growing with this team, being best buds with Horvat, Baer, Virtanen etc. Second year in the NHL playing top 4 minutes. Sure, he had some hiccups this year but that is no reason to give up on someone. He has shown many times what he is capable of and everyone should like what they see. Fast, good with the puck, good first pass, nice shot. He is a new age offensive defenseman for sure. 

3. We don't have the left side depth to trade him. We currently have Edler, Hutton, Sbisa (Hopefully gone by expansion), Pedan, and this new guy Holm. I would argue that Hutton is the most valuable of all those defenseman. I hate Edler with a passion, Hutton is a smarter player.

4. He is a nice person. No character flaws ala Evander Kane or other POS. 

Ben Hutton is perhaps the best thing that Mike Gillis did for this team aside from Bo Horvat, and people are throwing him into trade talks without any second thought. We need Ben Hutton. We need his defense. We need his smile. If anyone is traded, it should be Edler or Tanev. 

Everyone is tradeable, depending on who's coming back. JB should listen to all offers.

44 minutes ago, Stormtrooper Steve said:

As it was mentioned before, the rumour is that the Canucks aren't too high on him and where there is smoke there is usually some truth. Maybe they see him as having the most trade value from the back end? (especially if they are reluctant to trade tanev/edler). It wouldn't be my first choice but if you can get some scoring out of the deal, I'd consider it. Plus he isn't "one of Benning's guys" - he's a Gillis pick and we all know how that's working out for J. Subban.

Where did these rumours come from? I haven't heard/seen/read anything. Do you have a source?

If we were to trade Hutton, maybe that would open up a spot for Subban? I wanna see this kid play! 

Hutton didn't develop last season as hoped based on his first season, but I still see lots of potential in the guy.  I think we would be best served giving him another season under his belt to see of he can improve.

We have very little scoring from our back end, and I think unless it is for an awesome return that getting rid of him now would be a detrimental move.

I do think he is very well liked by his teammates and is the kind of guy we absolutely want to keep if possible.

Still, make no bones about it.... We have limited players on our team that have enough value to get us potential elite talent in a return.  And that's what we really need at this point.  So if Benning deems Hutton expendable as part of a package to get a high end prospect then I trust him to make such a decision.

By what weve seen so far, players like Hutton come around here and there.  I would sooner lose him than Tanev - who is very one dimensional but plays his role as good as any in the league.

I don't hate Elder, that's a strong word, but I don't like that he makes lazy plays, doesn't stick up for team mates and shows very little emotion and enthusiasm, even after causing goals against. Yes, he played very well at the World's and won Gold with Sweden, but that's the issue with me. He doesn't' seem to play that way with the Canucks. If anything, because he won Gold, Elder's value is high right now.

I wouldn't want Hutton traded. Yeah, he's a good guy in the room etc., but more importantly, he's young and he's a good player with a great attitude, so there might be some nice offers. I hope JB is at least listening to offers.

With Juolevi coming up and Pedan re-signed, I'm hoping our LD in 2018/19 is Hutton, Juolevi, Pedan and Holm. (assuming Sbisa goes to LV)  Elder is expendable IMO. He just needs to waive. Maybe winning at the World's will open his eyes to possibly winning the Cup with another team. I hope so. Or maybe Green will call him out on his effort and bench him on occasion. He's been one of the Canucks best D for many years, but that's nothing to brag about.    

Archived