The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 3/30/2018 at 1:41 AM, ForzaTikare said:

I think it might be like Philip Holm but sure, there is not much to lose is it? Not like the team will be a contender next year and he Will probably need atleast a year in the AHL, a good Point D in PP for Växjö that has a really good sense

If we can turn Persson into another Leipsic I am so sold on this idea

Edited by SamJamIam

On 2018-03-15 at 8:14 AM, cyoung said:

Well... He hasn't stepped foot in the nhl yet. Hischier has been amazing in his first year, time will tell. 

I love Petey, beautiful puck skills.

But Hischier is so freakin fast.

New NHL personified.

I take speed above all other attributes at this point, though I’ve witnessed Elias create separation with his smarts...

25 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This is a good comment.  Let Pettersson put it on naturally. 

He is a dynamite athlete, ripped, agile & very strong for his size.  At 19 & 20 with the amount of activity he will take on, muscle will happen naturally enough.

He needs to lift hard this offseason.

I don’t really care what he weighs at the end of it, he just needs to train.

• Upvote 2

I hope he spends the summer training in Vancouver under the supervision of their trainers and nutrition consultants. Also training and practicing with other NHL players would be good for him. 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Upvote 1

Elias is wirery.  He seems to do well in tight spaces and is able to back off players with his skills and IQ. Not as fast as Nico, but what talent. 

I don’t think he will ever be able to bulk up, but he will still

be an impact player.  I see him more like a Zetterberg or Datsuyk is style comparison.  He thrives at take aways in the neutral zone. 

Really excited to see him at camp next year. 

35 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I hope he spends the summer training in Vancouver under the supervision of their trainers and nutrition consultants. Also training and practicing with other NHL players would be good for him. 

Funny I think that's what caused some issues with Jake. 

I almost think he's better off in Sweden. Maybe he could train with some old NHL pro's. They will know better what he needs to do in my opinion. We've never had a player like him come through the system and look to get training from our group. Clearly Vaxjo is helping him gain strength regardless of the weight side. He looks fine in a lot of situations, just not when it's a pushing match along the boards.

7 hours ago, nergish said:

People get hung up on weight. A discussion I understand.  Having trained athletes in the past, I would be more concerned with many 200 lbs athletes than what Elias looks like?

Image result for elias pettersson Image result for elias pettersson

Elias could stand some muscle bulk on his shoulders and arms. Just not to get pushed around, get injured. But look at the fitness across his back and core.  LOL, his neck.

He's lean, ripped, that's muscle.  He is going to leave guys dazzled trying to track him down. Less guys will punish Elias Pettersson than can keep up.

• Upvote 2

After watching the above video, I have these questions:

1) Of his 56 points, how many were on the power play?

2) Will he get deployed on the Nucks' powerplay right from the start?

3) How was his 5x5 play?

4) How good is the average SHL goaltender vs NHL goaltender?

5) Will he debut like Backstrom (69 pts in 82 games), Forsberg (50 pts in 47 games) or like Berglund (47 pts in 82 games) and Henrik (29 pts)?

Edited by rizzuto&hatoum

11 hours ago, nergish said:

I love Petey, beautiful puck skills.

But Hischier is so freakin fast.

New NHL personified.

I take speed above all other attributes at this point, though I’ve witnessed Elias create separation with his smarts...

Squats, deadlifts. Plyometrics to work on his explosiveness. Core exercises. Put in some balance stuff too. Heck just get him and Dahlen to train with Henrik and Daniel Sedin. Give them a skating coach too while they're at it.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

5) Will he debut like Backstrom (69 pts in 82 games), Forsberg (50 pts in 47 games) or like Berglund (47 pts in 82 games) and Henrik (29 pts)?

I think if he is on the same line as Boeser, the Backstrom comparison is a good one. When he plays his 1st NHL season he is going to get decent ice time and for sure will be on a PP unit, likely the first as his passing is going to be unmatched on our team.

EP might top out at 185lbs, his brother is 182 and is 24 years old. I would love to see him get more mass and be hella strong on the puck and not get knocked around. I think he will do we protecting it, and at times he will get knocked around a bit. 

When we played Columbus we saw how elusive Panarin was, he is 5'11 168lbs, so I don't know speed wise who is faster Panarin or EP but there are ways for him to be effective if he stays slender. I do like the idea of having a winger with some size on his line, maybe Gadjovich can be that player from our prospect pool?

I just hope Dahlen, EP, Jasek & Juolevi are playing in NA next year. Palmu the year after, start bringing our prospects over to help our farm team depth wise and allow these prospects to gel.

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I believe there are rules in place by the NHLPA that limit team trainers/nutritionists from training athletes over summer, which is why most NHL players have their own private S&C coaches that they train with in the summer months. They obviously have access to the gym at the Rog and what not but I'm not sure about the trainers. I believe the trainers can provide a program but the player has the choice to follow it or go the private S&C route.

4 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

After watching the above video, I have these questions:

1) Of his 56 points, how many were on the power play?

2) Will he get deployed on the Nucks' powerplay right from the start?

3) How was his 5x5 play?

4) How good is the average SHL goaltender vs NHL goaltender?

1) How many one-times have you seen like that?

2) He plays on the opposite side of Boeser.  Can you imagine a 1-2 like that?

3) At the 3/4 mark of the season he only had 12 even strength goals against all year.  

4) Most of his goals are all top corner.   His wrist shot and one-timer are both incredibly accurate.

This kid is going to be a star.... and we are going to see it from game 1 next year.  I would bet the farm on it.

• Cheers 1