The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, mozzeye said:

I'm not sure why everyone is still so quick to dump on Cody Hodgson, he was doing fine in Buffalo before this

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/retired-nhler-cody-hodgson-giving-back-game-loves/

"Through those final years in his short career, he suffered from shortness of breath, blackouts and heart arrhythmia. Sometimes his body would shake for no apparent reason. He was tested for a wide range of ailments, including brain and lung cancer.

Finally, after what would be his final NHL season with the Nashville Predators, he underwent a muscle biopsy and was subsequently diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia, a genetic disorder that can be triggered by prolonged physical activity."

Damn, that really sucks. I remember this from reading it somewhere (not sure if it was from the forums) but that's quite brutal to hear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don’t recall people being that high on Hodgson at all but I wasn’t in Vancouver.   What EP us doing is so far removed from what Hodgson did in his first pro year.

Oh people were high all right, I'd say the hype was equal or even more than what it is for Pettersson at the same stage in there careers.  Cody wasn't putting up record numbers but he had just come off being arguably the best player on a gold medal winning Canadian World Junior team that featured John Tavares. Cody would have probably won the MVP if Tavares wasn't such a highly regarded player already.  Imagine the hype of Pettersson if he had gone out and destroyed the WJC's and won MVP and a gold medal.  That's what the hype was like for Hodgson, I never remember any questioning of his skating, it was just a matter of if he's going to be an elite 1st line player and captain or is he going to be a hall of fame player.  Those were basically the only 2 options at the time.  It was quite shocking when he played his 1st few games in the NHL and you realized how dam slow he was.  Just had these short little legs and choppy stride, just the worst player I've ever seen try and play defense.  

Those are my memories of the time anyway. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Oh people were high all right, I'd say the hype was equal or even more than what it is for Pettersson at the same stage in there careers.  Cody wasn't putting up record numbers but he had just come off being arguably the best player on a gold medal winning Canadian World Junior team that featured John Tavares. Cody would have probably won the MVP if Tavares wasn't such a highly regarded player already.  Imagine the hype of Pettersson if he had gone out and destroyed the WJC's and won MVP and a gold medal.  That's what the hype was like for Hodgson, I never remember any questioning of his skating, it was just a matter of if he's going to be an elite 1st line player and captain or is he going to be a hall of fame player.  Those were basically the only 2 options at the time.  It was quite shocking when he played his 1st few games in the NHL and you realized how dam slow he was.  Just had these short little legs and choppy stride, just the worst player I've ever seen try and play defense.  

Those are my memories of the time anyway. 

I actually though CH was the best player in that tourney.  Tavares was the trigger guy, but CH did all the leg work

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I never said YOU called him Captain material, He was a hot prospect with the same qualities you say of Pettersson now

You said

"Cody Hodgson failed to pan out, because of Cody Hodgson. His attitude and lack of commitment was apparent. I get no inclination that Pettersson is the same, this is kid is mature beyond his years. Love his cool amd calm demeanor, but you can tell hes a winner. "

Your 1st comments you ascertained in hindsight, after he was a Canuck

How you describe EP is exactly what they said about Cody when drafted

and why not?

He showed remarkable poise and leadership for his junior team and Team Canada

3 x named CHL smartest player of the year

OHL Allstar

Led all scorers in WJC

Touted for his poise maturity and composure, his will to win, his hockey sense and dominate as a junior,

We all know how bad it turned out and i was tired of the drama i heard at the time

He was upset seeing that he would never amount to more than a 3rd line centre behind Sedin and Kesler (which he never could be, because they were young and fronted the Greatest Canuck team of all time !)

He had what was proven later as a misdiagnosed back injury after AV had called him out on his compete level

You cannot rewrite history to make a case for our current stud while slamming another one at the same stage of their developments

Cody didn't pan out the way we hoped

You cannot deny what he was at Petterssons age though 

Cody was a shinning light that blew up spectacularly and thank god Buffalo was the ones that suffered the most loss.  CoHo has so much promise only to be lost when he got his big pay day.  CoHo reminds me of the classic two faced teachers pet character from the movies. 

Kassian spun out and almost busted too. But he managed to show more character than CoHo ever had and has overcome some of his demons. For now. 

Don’t see a lot of comparable traits between CoHo and EP. 

Incredibly different players and styles on the ice. EP is also playing pro, with men, not boys. He is learning the pro game. Added to that, the Swedes do not have a rep for drama as prospects. Very stoic and committed pros come out of the SHL. 

If anything, having EP in the SHL for this season is like a shake down cruise.  We would get to see what kind of entitlement and attitudes he has and I would doubt it would be tolerated in his locker room. 

Other than currently being our top prospect, with great promise.  They have very little in common. 

Dont think that EP’s dad is some asshole conservative politician and that EP only drinks milk when he goes out to the club. 

EmW

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2018-02-04 at 3:57 AM, mozzeye said:

I'm not sure why everyone is still so quick to dump on Cody Hodgson, he was doing fine in Buffalo before this

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/retired-nhler-cody-hodgson-giving-back-game-loves/

"Through those final years in his short career, he suffered from shortness of breath, blackouts and heart arrhythmia. Sometimes his body would shake for no apparent reason. He was tested for a wide range of ailments, including brain and lung cancer.

Finally, after what would be his final NHL season with the Nashville Predators, he underwent a muscle biopsy and was subsequently diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia, a genetic disorder that can be triggered by prolonged physical activity."

Very rare condition. 

Ussually a family history is found but can sometimes just appear. 

Maybe I have been too hard on the guy. 

I think they will probably tell him to start working on his strength as early as possible. Coming to North America at the end of a season having so few games on the small ice would be a challenge let alone the added physical component of AHL players.

Its possible, but more likely we seen Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette or Gadjovich in Utica to end the year

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I think they will probably tell him to start working on his strength as early as possible. Coming to North America at the end of a season having so few games on the small ice would be a challenge let alone the added physical component of AHL players.

Its possible, but more likely we seen Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette or Gadjovich in Utica to end the year

I’m pretty sure gadjovich and Lind aren’t eligible to play in the AHL until next year due to the chl/ahl agreement for juniper aged players. 

For dahlen and pettersson I think it mostly depends on how the air teams do in the play offs. Both of them play for the best teams in their respective leagues so it’s likely they will each make deep playoff runs. 

Gaudette i think likely will get signed this season as it would burn off a year of his entry level contract and would be a good way to entice him to stay with the Canucks. If he does get signed, good chance he plays in the nhl, not AHL. 

1 hour ago, Canadian Clay said:

I’m pretty sure gadjovich and Lind aren’t eligible to play in the AHL until next year due to the chl/ahl agreement for juniper aged players. 

For dahlen and pettersson I think it mostly depends on how the air teams do in the play offs. Both of them play for the best teams in their respective leagues so it’s likely they will each make deep playoff runs. 

Gaudette i think likely will get signed this season as it would burn off a year of his entry level contract and would be a good way to entice him to stay with the Canucks. If he does get signed, good chance he plays in the nhl, not AHL. 

Once Gadjovich's and Lind's CHL seasons are over they can play in the AHL. However, the Rockets will likely have a long playoff run so it's unlikely Lind would finish in time the suit up for the Comets. Gadjovich on the other hand is on a more middle-of-the-pack team so it's possible he could be available to join the Comets for a few games.

I agree with Derp though regarding Pettersson. I think the best corse of action for him will just be to start his summer training once his season is done.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Once Gadjovich's and Lind's CHL seasons are over they can play in the AHL. However, the Rockets will likely have a long playoff run so it's unlikely Lind would finish in time the suit up for the Comets. Gadjovich on the other hand is on a more middle-of-the-pack team so it's possible he could be available to join the Comets for a few games.

I agree with Derp though regarding Pettersson. I think the best corse of action for him will just be to start his summer training once his season is done.

If he is finished in Sweden I would not be surprised that he plays the last 9 games in Vancouver. Management might want to show case him for ticket renewals. Also with 9 games EP has a better idea of what he is up against. Might impact his training sched. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Those players rarely play though, it's more just to let them see what it's like being a pro