The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

38 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I digress, but Utica is going to be stacked next year, especially if Juolevi, Pettersson, and Dahlen leave their Euro leagues. One could even add Gaudette to that mix of prospects if he doesn't go straight to the NHL.

I'd be slightly cautious with this one. Lots of posters were thinking that about this year's comets too, and so far, the vet rule plus weak centre depth is causing them major issues. If pettersson plays centre, which I hope he does, and if Gaudette is there as well, maybe were looking at depth of Chaput, Gaudette, pettersson, cassels, depending on signings or lack thereof. And yes, I think that right now Gaudette and his game will translate to the AHL much better than Elias', but that would be more of a 2A/2B, two-way vs more offensive line situation. But there's no telling what happens next year, I

or if both those guys are in Utica. We have some killer prospects on the wings, and hopefully the C prospects are with the Comets to create two-thirds or full lines of legitimate prospects.

All that said, I see Gaudette signing this year after his NCAA season is finished and stepping into the middle six quite smoothly, beside either some skilled wingers like rodin, Boucher, goldy, or Archibald/molino/carcone for a heavier line. He may be my favourite prospect. 

^Talk about digressing, no? 

16 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I digress, but Utica is going to be stacked next year, especially if Juolevi, Pettersson, and Dahlen leave their Euro leagues. One could even add Gaudette to that mix of prospects if he doesn't go straight to the NHL.

They should all play in Utica next season and get some chemistry. 

2 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

He must be injured. Not playing today...

I noticed that to. Maybe he was injured in last night's game because I find it hard to believe he wasn't in on any of Owen Sounds 12 goals. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ohmy said:

I noticed that to. Maybe he was injured in last night's game because I find it hard to believe he wasn't in on any of Owen Sounds 12 goals. 

Lol that caught my attention last night too...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Lol that caught my attention last night too...

Haha you must scoreboard watch our prospects as much as I do then. I wish my career job was monitoring   and updating stats.  That would be a dream

1 hour ago, ohmy said:

Haha you must scoreboard watch our prospects as much as I do then. I wish my career job was monitoring   and updating stats.  That would be a dream

Yes, and god bless my wife for tolerating my non stop obsession with stats...

• Upvote 2

Smart signing. His late birthday (October 12) put him into a category (same as Pettersson) where a contract this year allows two years of possible entry level slide (potentially making a 3-year ELC, in effect, a 5-year contract). Signing him next year would have put him under the exception rule and the contract wouldn't be slide eligible.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Yes, and god bless my wife for tolerating my non stop obsession with stats...

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

So "stats" is what you young guys call them these days.  B)

I am impressed by the level of honesty displayed by @JamesBlondage in his marriage (apparently more than that displayed by Alf). When I am sitting at my computer obsessing over hockey stats, my usual story is that I am "working" (which is sort of true in the sense that I am working on hockey stats) or that I "was checking out restaurants to take you on your birthday" (which I might do for 2 or 3 minutes before diving into the stats) or something like that.

Speaking of obsessions, thanks to Sid for explaining this signing:

48 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Smart signing. His late birthday (October 12) put him into a category (same as Pettersson) where a contract this year allows two years of possible entry level slide (potentially making a 3-year ELC, in effect, a 5-year contract). Signing him next year would have put him under the exception rule and the contract wouldn't be slide eligible.

I found this hard to understand so I checked out the Collective Agreement and, sure enough, Sid has it right (as far as I can understand). Being obsessive about it here are the details just in case anyone besides me is interested. I hope I have this right. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here are quotes from the Agreement with comments from me.

9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

Okay, so far so good. Although Gads just turned 19 (October 11) he "counts" as an 18-year-old because he was still 18 on Sept. 15 (as would also apply to Pettersson or Lind if they were to sign before 2017 ends).

9.1 d

i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year,

[Yes, that that applies to Gads. This year slides so this year - 2017-18 does does not "count" in the three years of his contract]

except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.

[This does not apply to Gads as is "officially 18". It would have applied if he had waited until January 2018 to sign. And if Pettersson or Lind sign in 2018 this exception would apply to them.]

Now let's move  on to the second season (2018-19 in this case).

ii) In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC extended pursuant to Subsection (i),

[Yes, that is the situation Gads will be in next season ]

and such Player does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for one (1) additional year. 

[Yes, this is the second slide year. If Gads does not play in the NHL in 2018-19, his contract could slide for an additional year, meaning the entry level deal not start until 2019-20. There is no mention of a slide for players who sign as 19-year-olds. Therefore, as far as I can tell, if Pettersson or Lind sign in 2018 they would start their 3-year entry level contracts in 2018-19 for sure, instead of maybe sliding to 2019-20].

So, as Sid indicates, signing now helps the Canucks. So why would Gads sign now instead of waiting to January 2018 and avoiding a second slide year? One possibility is that the Canucks gave him more than they otherwise would have in return for signing now. And it guarantees that he actually gets a contract. And, if he is good enough to make the team out of camp next year (for 2018-19), great. The second slide year does not take effect in that case.

Of course, the Canucks have shown an inclination to "burn off" entry years of high end prospects. Possibly Pettersson or Lind could sign contracts and play on the Canucks at the end of 2017-18 if their teams finish early and advance their three-year contracts to start this season.

• Upvote 2

@JamesB: you got it right :)

As to your question, I think the reason Gadjovich signed now is as simple as most prospects are happy to get their ELC and start earning some

money (signing bonus). So they don't think twice about accepting an ELC (if it's offered) in their draft year.

Pettersson is a bit of a unique situation. First off, he's already earning good money by playing pro hockey in Sweden. Waiting a year on an ELC signing bonus probably doesn't sway him too much. And since odds are he'll be a top player, he (or at least his agent) understands that avoiding entry level slide means potentially hitting RFA status a year early, which means millions more in earning potential over his career. It just makes sense to wait.

And I could see other top picks who fall under the same circumstances as Pettersson take a similar tack to ELC negotiations in the future.

But for guys like Jonah, they'd probably prefer to play ball with their draft team (which earns some goodwill) and also, since they're not earning much of anything playing in the CHL (other than a few hundred a month stipend), they sign ASAP and at least bank some signing bonus when their contract slides.

@JamesB It’s great you young fellows love stats (euphemism for B)) and respect your wives for allowing you to indulge in your passion.  Now just work on that youthful sense of humour.  Studying all the stats in the world won’t make our team’s coming season any easier to digest.  

It looks like Jonah's signing bonus is $92,500 for each of the next 3 years. That is quite the increase from his $50-$100 weekly stipend ($2400/year-$4800/year).

JONAH GADJOVICH

Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks

Left wing
Cap Hit: $845,000
Accumulated Daily Cap Hit: q.svg : $4,543
Remaining Daily Cap Hit: q.svg : $0

BORN: October 12, 1998
BIRTHPLACE: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
HEIGHT: 6' 2 (188 cm)
WEIGHT: 200 lbs (91 kg)
SHOOTS:Left
ELC SIGNING AGE: 18
WAIVERS SIGNING AGE: 19
DRAFT YEAR: 2017
DRAFTED OVERALL: 55
DRAFT ROUND: 2
DRAFTED BY: VAN

CURRENT CONTRACTS

ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT

LENGTH: 3 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: RFA
SIGNING TEAM: Vancouver Canucks
VALUE: $2,775,000
C.H.% q.svg: 1.13
SIGNING DATE: October 16, 2017
SOURCE: CapFriendly
SEASON CLAUSE CAP HIT q2.svg AAV q2.svg P. BONUSES q2.svg S. BONUSES q2.svg BASE SALARY q2.svg TOTAL SALARY q2.svg MINORS SALARY q2.svg
2017-18   $845,000 $925,000 $132,500 $92,500 $700,000 $792,500 $70,000
2018-19   $845,000 $925,000 $107,500 $92,500 $725,000 $817,500 $70,000
2019-20   $845,000 $925,000 $0 $92,500 $832,500 $925,000 $70,000

• Upvote 3