The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Good move to send him down. I thought he looked pretty good in the first few games but lately has clearly lost his confidence. 

Get him 5-10 in Abby and back playing next to Hammonic or Poolman and I think we see an even better player then. 

I think Rathbone has generated good chances. With some more seasoning, he will convert them. Good move sending him down. Being snakebitten and turning the puck over is the recipe for losing your confidence, even if you're doing some good things. He showed glimpses of being an NHL player. 

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

So you think JR is NHL ready?

Rathbone looked ready during pre-season, but once the intensity, speed, quickness kicked in on the regular season, he has looked out-of-sorts.  He's made a number of turnovers, which needs to be corrected.  Better he does that in the AHL than the NHL.  He's an NHLer, IMHO.  Not just yet.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Good move to send him down. I thought he looked pretty good in the first few games but lately has clearly lost his confidence. 

Get him 5-10 in Abby and back playing next to Hammonic or Poolman and I think we see an even better player then. 

I agree.

Rathbone has the potential to be an impact player. We shouldn’t be satisfied with him just being an okay bottom pair guy.

He’ll get the minutes and the special teams duties in the A that will help bring his game to another level.

When he comes back I hope we see a more confident well rounded player.

Edited by DeNiro

I hope Cull reunites him with Woo.  When he exited the taxi squad last season to go down and get some games in, that pairing was dynamite.  His point shot on the powerplay was a rocket (and Gadjovich got a few of his goals on collecting the rebounds  -  maybe Klim can be the beneficiary this time round)

Rathbone was disappointing to start the season but it really is on Green.  He muzzled him. Rathbone was given very limited minutes and is on a leash so he can't be creative.  In Abby he will excel as he is a talented kid. Don't forget he played with Adam Fox in college for a year.

Green sends him down the day before we play Fox. Yup.  That's Green.  Gonna send the message I am in charge...that is until he gets fired.  Which is coming.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Rathbone was disappointing to start the season but it really is on Green.  He muzzled him. 

More 'on' Hughes and OEL being ahead of him. He hasn't been 'muzzled', he's behind those guys and can't be furnished with the offensively tilted minutes he needs to be successful at this level, at this point in his development.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I think Green got far too excited with the tiny sample size of games at the end of last season where Jack played really well, and Juolevi paid the price for it. Juolevi was IMO more ready NHL-wise defensively. I hope the decision to trade OJ was more because of his injuries and bad luck history than only just this season of who will play or not and be waiver-wire excempt, because that is dreadful management of a top-10 pick.

As for Rathbone, this was the right decision all along. He didn't look quite ready at the end of training camp or pre-season for me and playing 12 minutes a night is a waste. No team parades their 2 bottom pairing guys out for just 10-12 minutes and has any success. Hopefully with Hamonic back we can at least have some stability on the blueline but hopefully Jack is a full-time NHLer next season. These defencemen take time to develop and we don't want to mess with his development just for the sake of it. We've got arguably 5 top-4 defencemen now and a bunch of AHLers for that 6th spot.

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Green got far too excited with the tiny sample size of games at the end of last season where Jack played really well, and Juolevi paid the price for it. Juolevi was IMO more ready NHL-wise defensively. I hope the decision to trade OJ was more because of his injuries and bad luck history than only just this season of who will play or not and be waiver-wire excempt, because that is dreadful management of a top-10 pick.

As for Rathbone, this was the right decision all along. He didn't look quite ready at the end of training camp or pre-season for me and playing 12 minutes a night is a waste. No team parades their 2 bottom pairing guys out for just 10-12 minutes and has any success. Hopefully with Hamonic back we can at least have some stability on the blueline but hopefully Jack is a full-time NHLer next season. These defencemen take time to develop and we don't want to mess with his development just for the sake of it. We've got arguably 5 top-4 defencemen now and a bunch of AHLers for that 6th spot.

Absolutely right. Fans and coaches fell in love with the upside but completely forgot that Juolevi for the most part, had a pretty good season. It wasn't electrifying or anything, highlight reel worthy but at least we saw in a much larger sample size, he can play in the NHL. Even if you compared this seasons games of Rathbones and to Olli's last season, Olli was a far better player. Juolevi should've been given a longer leash during the preseason, seemed to me that Travis Green already predetermined that Juolevi was the odd guy out.  Better hope Juolevi doesn't work out with Florida because if he even becomes just an everyday player, we lose that trade.

Rathbone did look good in the preseason and was well deserving of a spot, but there is no way, no how that Brad Hunt should've been kept over Juolevi.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Rathbone was disappointing to start the season but it really is on Green.  He muzzled him. Rathbone was given very limited minutes and is on a leash so he can't be creative.  In Abby he will excel as he is a talented kid. Don't forget he played with Adam Fox in college for a year.

Green sends him down the day before we play Fox. Yup.  That's Green.  Gonna send the message I am in charge...that is until he gets fired.  Which is coming.

What did you think? Rathbone was going to be top 4 when he cracked the lineup? LOL Rathbone didn't deserve more minutes, he's been consistently our worst Dman since the season started. He deserved to be here no doubt based on preseason but he didn't look as good when the competition stepped up.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

On Juolevi IMO...

On 10/29/2021 at 12:49 PM, aGENT said:

I think Juolevi was gone when he didn't show up in shape. Like this is your make or break year and you're FINALLY healthy to actually train all summer... And you come in and lay that turd in the training camp bed?!

I've been a big supporter of his, and he still has all the ability in the world to become a good, top 4 D. But if that's your fitness commitment level...? :picard:

Despite that, we arguably would have been better off with him on the third pair vs Rathbone. But you simply can't reward and condone that lack of commitment. Sends entirely three wrong message to the rest of the team. Both the vets/core trying to make the playoffs and the kids trying to make the team.

In short, Juolevi was done when he didn't commit to his training this summer. I don't think Rathbone really factored in much.