The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Sedins in the Player's Tribune

Down by the River

The amount of times I would have to defend the Sedins' and their toughness is staggering.

Everyone always bashes them "This sisters" this and "The sisters" that.

These guys have made a living playing in the league for 17 years against some of the top defensemen to ever play in the NHL. If you play a possession game, sure you could be considered a perimeter player, but the Sedins point totals over their careers speak for their toughness. You eventually have to get the puck to dirty areas in order to put points on the board, and the Sedins have always done that. They may have lost a step or two, but they have served admirably for this club and deserve the utmost respect from the Canucks faithful (Maybe even Canucks' foe, too!) and will always be Vancouver Canucks!

I don't want to take away from the sentimentality but this is nothing new to the real fans. That actually listen to the things they say. They've been saying they want to retire Canucks for a good couple years now. It's a great read, they are great people, and we should be extremely fortunate to have these two mentoring our young guys. They spoke about Naslund and what he meant for them coming in. We have 2 Naslund's here in the Sedins. Lets not rush them out the door.

13 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

The amount of times I would have to defend the Sedins' and their toughness is staggering.

These guys have made a living playing in the league for 17 years against some of the top defensemen to ever play in the NHL. If you play a possession game, sure you could be considered a perimeter player, but the Sedins point totals over their careers speak for their toughness. You eventually have to get the puck to dirty areas in order to put points on the board, and the Sedins have always done that. They may have lost a step or two, but they have served admirably for this club and deserve the utmost respect from the Canucks faithful (Maybe even Canucks' foe, too!) and will always be Vancouver Canucks!

giphy.gif

Anyone that questions the dedication, toughness and class of these two are not only not a fan of the Vancouver Canucks, they are not a fan of hockey in my opinion.   

Hockey in general owes these two a long and sustained round of applause for showing everyone how the game can be played at an elite level whilst being the ultimate professional both on and off the ice.   

PS - perhaps we can permanently close any/all threads under trade proposals and such involving the Sedins and show that CDC can demonstrate the same level of class that these two players have demonstrated to their fans.   

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I thought this was going to be a retirement announcement. Nearly shat myself.

I think, in a way, it is. This is their way of telling us they'll be here until the end. It removes the trade deadline as a distraction. Though I wouldn't put it past IMac or Botch to create something out of nothing.

I never thought I'd say this but, they have to be the greatest Canucks of all time. Never thought I'd see any player eclipse Linden in that respect but, it turns out two have.

Approaching the twilight of their careers, their roles must be reduced and refocused to make their staying logical.

I see second line minutes for the coming season dropping to a third line supporting role after that with minutes, much reduced. Their cycle game could be used more as a forechecking tactic, used more for pinning opposition in their own end than for offensive opportunity. Take advantage when opportunity knocks but focus more on stalling and killing oppositional momentum. Using this strategy could prolong their careers another 4-5 seasons and give them another chance to make a run at the cup.

I am so happy they've come out and said that they will not be playing anywhere else. Vancouver is their home and they are two of it's sons. I have been very privileged to have been able to bare witness to their careers and this level of class  in a sport that is, sadly, losing more and more of this with every season. 

So so many young players in our organization have and will continue to benefit from their tutelage.

Thank you for everything you've done on and off the ice.

24 minutes ago, apollo said:

:goat::goat:

Chills reading that. Best players tribune yet. 

Chills? Yes. Not sure it carries the gravity of what Cory Hirsch wrote IMO. If you missed it, check it out. Nice that he is back with the `Nucks.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think the thing that stuck out most, for me, was how big an effect the toxic element of the media and fanbase truly has on the players.

I am curious by this.   You don't think players notice the fans and want to make them appreciate the play?    I know players who say they "ignore the media" - and have found those ones are the ones who read EVERYTHING said about them.   Most want to make the fans proud and do care what people think - at least in my experience.

Twins are without doubt class acts through any measure of pro athletes in any sport, bar none. In this day and age of Me Me Me mentality in all walks of life, it is truly admirable that these athletes (contra Kesler et al) have truly dedicated their careers to this club that drafted them.

That said, I believe the timing of this letter coincides with the vast number of signings this summer. I believe the twins have spelled it out simply along these lines: "If we`re just gonna tank, then we`re done". These boys want to win so bad, but need support at their age. Complete injustice for them to try and be top line players at their age. With added depth the true young guns will really need to earn a spot. If not truly ready,  then off to marinate and play real minutes. Hopefully some added depth gives the chance to fight for a playoff bid but that remains to be seen. Most people are betting against it . Regardless, Hank and Danny rock!!!! Tack så mycket grabbar! För allt.

24 minutes ago, groovy said:

Chills? Yes. Not sure it carries the gravity of what Cory Hirsch wrote IMO. If you missed it, check it out. Nice that he is back with the `Nucks.

I did... amazing read and really liked it. One of the few guys I can stand on Sportsnet. The Bobby Ryan one made me tear up too. 

But this is the Sedins we're talking about. The Best Ever.

1 hour ago, diesel_3 said:

I joined CDC specifically to defend the Sedins from personal attacks lead by a poster called diamonddog(who's probably still here in another guise). You don't have to grab a handful of hair and ear and start bashing someone in the face to be tough.

People seem to forget this.

"January 20th, 2014

VANCOUVER – For the first time in almost 10 years, the Vancouver Canucks will play a game without Henrik Sedin.

The Canucks captain and leading scorer won't play Tuesday on the road against the Edmonton Oilers, ending his franchise-record ironman streak at 679 games. Sedin hasn't missed a game since March 2004, but didn't finish Vancouver's last two games."

Archived