The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Changing the lottery system into a mini tournament

smokes

Personally, I don't like the draft lottery system as it leaves everything to chance and bad teams can still be rewarded. Since first overall draft picks usually turn out to be stars, I don't think it is fair to reward them to the worst team in the league. I propose to have all non playoff teams play a tournament with the winner being awarded the first overall selection. It will make it more interesting from a fan standpoint and for the owners, they can make a few extra dolloars from playing these games and teams won't be rewarded for incompetency. Maybe play during in between rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Good idea? Bad idea?

if teams want to tank and run their team out of town, then thats ok with me

like how long will oilers fans drink this kool aid. then again, oilers fans seem to have an IQ of a peanut so thats probably a bad example

also, to your idea, i oppose. that's way too much hockey than we already have. i like hockey as much as the next guy, but 82 regular season + playoffs + whatever they do in december + whatever they do the world cup, whatever that gimmick tournament is. it's too much. i dont care how much you "bleed" hockey, you'll be hitting that fast forward button

I don't like the idea.

The entire premise behind the draft is to help bad teams improve.  Your proposal would likely make it far harder for the worst teams in the league to ever get out of the basement.  Instead, it would hand the best picks to teams that narrowly missed the playoffs.

I believe the system we have now is as good as it gets.

Solution:

Snake draft.

First round Worst selects first, 2nd worst selects second, through 31 spots. 

Second Round: Reverse Order 31st gets first pick 2nd round and so on. 

So draft is reversed 2nd 4th, and 6th rounds. 

Having a tourney to select who gets the draft pick just means your players will get injured for nothing. Basically the 17th team will odds are always get 1st overall. 

Doesn't solve anything. A Snake Draft means the best teams will get a late first and early second. Rewarding the good teams as much as the bad (especially if you have good scouting).

Get rid of the lottery. The NFL doesn't have a draft lottery, and no one says the Cleveland Browns are tanking. 

When I look at the first overall picks, I feel sorry for the player many of times because the bottom teams are there for a reason. They are not good at building thier prospects. Edmonton had Hall, RNH, McDavid and are at the bottom. Buffalo is the same with Reinhart. There are some bottom teams that are consistantly getting the best picks but end up messing up the player's progress. One could argue that the only reason Crosby did so well was because the lottery system in his draft was more fair.

The general objective of the draft system has been parity.  Teams pick in reverse order of where they finished.

If you want to talk about not fair, how about that draft lottery.  

This system is ignored under the draft lottery.  The odds are against the 3 worst finishers and last year, they all fell in the draft and picked out of the top 3.  New Jersey (5th worst) moved to #1, Philadelphia (13th) moved to #2, and Dallas (8th) moved to #3.  This is a mockery imo.  It is worse than if a team actually tried to lose and finished last.

Regardless of the above, better managed teams with stable management and ownership tend to have better results over the long term.

I think that the people who are always dumping on Benning don't account for the influence of ownership.  Management has to answer to ownership.  Ownership is paying the bills.  Management carries out the long term team plan but don't be fooled that team ownership doesn't have a large say and needs to approve the plan that gets reviewed and scrutinized and adjusted every year.  

Personally, I would rather go back to the old system and get rid of the lottery.  I think that tanking is bad management and takes a very short term view.  If teams tank, it will show in the long term.

1st overall should be restricted to a lotto of the bottom 5 teams only, and you should only be able to get 1st overall once every 5 seasons. spots 6 to 10 should be handed out by random draw, and the rest by regular season standings. This way there is less incentive to tank but rebuilding clubs get the talent they need in a top 10 pick. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

1st overall should be restricted to a lotto of the bottom 5 teams only, and you should only be able to get 1st overall once every 5 seasons. spots 6 to 10 should be handed out by random draw, and the rest by regular season standings. This way there is less incentive to tank but rebuilding clubs get the talent they need in a top 10 pick. 

This isn't a terrible suggestion.

Additionally,  what about taking the first 5 teams  (or whatever number is decided upon) that are mathematically eliminated from playoffs contention and basing their odds heavily  (or entirely) on their record for their last remaining games  (or a set number of final games so it's even for all teams)  where the better  (not worse) you do, the better your odds - this somewhat eliminates 'the tank' worry and leaves a LOT to play out the schedule for in my view. 

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This isn't a terrible suggestion.

Additionally,  what about taking the first 5 teams  (or whatever number is decided upon) that are mathematically eliminated from playoffs contention and basing their odds heavily  (or entirely) on their record for their last remaining games  (or a set number of final games so it's even for all teams)  where the better  (not worse) you do, the better your odds - this somewhat eliminates 'the tank' worry and leaves a LOT to play out the schedule for in my view. 

Interesting (and original).  So, the most points earned once a team is mathematically eliminated?  5 worst only.  And rank them 1-5.  That's your draft order.

1.  Eliminates the tank.

2.  Makes teams try to win all season.

3.  Probably the worst team gets the most points and picks first because they'll have more time to earn points.  But they can blow it by selling off assets.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like the one 1st OA every 5 years limit.  

If teams can't (or won't) improve, their management is clearly a Gong Show.  Other teams shouldn't be punished

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like this ^^

the lottery would be for the bottom five teams all with equal odds. Keeps the best players going to the team that needs them the most.

6-10 a random names in a hat draw.

all should be done by a third party with no nhl affiliations and in the public eye. Not behind closed doors. 

However I like the idea of penalizing teams that peranial bottom feeders. say pick in the top 5 twice in 2 years and your moved into the 6-10 random draw on the third draft. 

Sorry but the last thing we need in the schedule is more hockey. 82 games is about 20 too many, with a lot of them in the game 40-60 range having no emotion to them. 

I'm also not too sure how hard the bottom 6 forwards would play, for a player who is likely to come in the following year, and cost them their job. Not to mention that most players go and do whatever surgery they need right after their season is done

Here is one of the problem with the NHL draft..................................we know there is spend to the Cap ceiling teams and we know there are teams that have their own internal cap, now where this impacts the draft, is that theoretically, teams spending to the cap should have a better points totatl, compared with those teams that insist on not spending to the cap.

Now, I know that that argument does not always hold true, but teams that do not spend to the cap will not be signing expensive UFA's, therefore in most cases, will be further down the standings.........Aka.............Arizona, have great young talent, but a limited amount of UFA's

Now I don't think this is the only factor, but it is part of it............

So in the end, I like Jimmy;s idea, with a few tweeks......lottery picks for the first 6 teams, but only for 1st over all, then a lottery for the next 9 teams, them a normal draft order for the remaining team.

I like Jim's idea. that a team can not win the 1st OA, but once in 5 years....but to go further with that, you should not get the 5th pick 5 times in a row either, so if you are in the bottom 5 for 5 years, you should win each position once, with some crazy formula.....same goes for the top teams where, the SCW should not be penalized for winning the cup....

Either All this

or

Just let the draft happen like it used to, in reverse order of final point totals (with Jim's idea that no one can win any of the top 5 position twice in 5 years)(Small tweek)

It's the one I like the best...

You're onto something... But make it for only the lottery picks and the lottery positioned teams... This way, teams that barely miss the playoffs don't get a chance at the lottery.

Last place team reserves the right to battle for the 1st overall pick.

2nd Last

vs 

5th Last 

3rd Last

vs 

4th Last

Winner of 2vs5 

vs

Winner of 3vs4

Winner of the round robins vs Last place team.

But then that would all just be lateral the odds are still the same as they were before. So let's just leave it the way it is and let "chance" decide who picks who.

There's always going to be a result that pisses someone off. For instance, let's say the bottom 5 gets a shot at the 1st overall. But why only the bottom 5 and not bottom 6 or 7?

The standings at the botton are 45, 65, 65, 65 ,67 ,68. In the old system, 45 gets the 1st overall which seems fair unless you're the Oilers. In today's system, every non playoff team gets a shot. If bottom 5 gets a shot at 1st overrall, 68 is left out. So what now? tank to get into the bottom 5?

I'm pretty sure the way we have it now is best but an interesting one would be alternating the draft spots of 1-15 with the non-playoff teams. Last plays gets 1st, but 2nd last gets 15th, 3rd last gets 2nd, etc. Alternatively, just do it that way for the lottery odds and let the pieces fall where they may. Just spit-balling ideas.

Archived