The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Canada unveils men's 2018 Olympic roster

1 minute ago, apollo said:

It's not a bad roster... it's not like the other teams have NHLers playing. 

Veyday gonna spice it up my man! 

I can see Sweden and Russia vying for the gold. Canada and the US won't make much of a dent. I believe Ossi provided the post where the average age of the Canadian roster was 31 years old......

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I can see Sweden and Russia vying for the gold. Canada and the US won't make much of a dent. I believe Ossi provided the post where the average age of the Canadian roster was 31 years old......

Did Russia / Sweden roster get announced? I'll have to have a look before making further comments haha

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I believe none of those forwards were consistent top-six players in the NHL, same with defencemen - didn't play in the top four. As for the goalies, they are pretty much backup goalies at the NHL level. So you basically a team of third and fourth lines forwards, bottom-six defence, and backup goalies. Add in some 13th/14th forwards or that are considered regular call-ups. But then again, other teams will be icing the same amount of talent at best, but it certainly doesn't add the hype factor of wanting to watch the games.

I wonder if any teams will have a "game breaker". I feel like most teams will be similar to Canada, but I'm curious about that potential game breaker.

52 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That is true. I remember the Gold Medal Game in 2014 being at 4:00 am PT and waking up to watching it. With this roster, it doesn't add that extra excitement, even though I will still be cheering them on. 

I'll always be in the minority with this, but I find it more exciting this way.

In 2014 there was no doubt Canada would win. I'd rather watch when Canada isn't the overwhelming favourite - makes it more exciting to win.

21 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I dont know why they just dont make Olympic hockey a junior competition as well.  I mean most of the other sports are amateur based (like boxing) and considering it is only every 4 years....

Hmmm.... we just had world Jrs... I like having them separate. Better to have 2 events! 

I don’t mind the roster, should be competitive. I hope we get our nhl’ers back for next go around, but it is a feel good story for this group of guys. I’m excited to see how they perform! It’s a hard knock life trying to slug out hockey as a professional if you’re not in the nhl. So they will all be hungry to win gold. Plus WD has a very good international record as well.

The olympics this year look like a Spengler cup match up, most other counties rosters including Sweden will look like this. Canada usually does very well in the Spengler, so I like their chances.

The WD and Vey love fest gets continued as well lol, Vey and Howden if they perform well are young enough that they could attract some nhl interest if they are lights out. 

The goaltending is is alright, I always thought Peters was a better goalie than most people thought back when he played in Carolina, he played behind a pretty terrible defense. I think he’s the best out of the 3. 

Go Canada! Bring home the gold boys!

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Heard Tryamkin has a 50/50 chance of making the Russian squad,.   Hope he does, and shoots Willie a few bullets just because.

Recently Heard Keenan was coaching in the KHL, might have been better to have Iron Mike behind our squad than Desjardins.

He was recently fired by his KHL Club.

Archived