The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which prospects should get a look in the NHL this year?

TonyStrecher

As we the Canucks continue to lose games, I'm getting more and more eager to see the Canucks give some of their prospects a look at the NHL level before the end of the season.

Here's my take on who should get a look before the end of the year and who shouldn't.

Thatcher Demko: Demko has been one of the main prospects that a lot of people seem to want to see play a few games in the NHL before the end of the year. He has been one of the top goalies in the AHL this season and has really kept Utica in games this year. I think that the Canucks should keep him down in Utica until the end of the year and not force him to face the intense scrutiny that he would if he was to see NHL game action. I also think that it makes sense to keep him down in Utica because they are in the middle of a push for the playoffs and he is a very important part of their team.

Reid Boucher: Boucher now lead the AHL in goals, something that the Canucks could really use at the NHL level. I just don't think that Boucher has the skill set to be a consistent producer int he NHL. We've seen him get a number of chances with the Canucks over the past two seasons and I just don't think he will play any role in the future of this team.

Philip Holm: Holm has had a great first season in North America. He has shown himself to be a talented offensive defenseman and powerplay quarterback who is also decent defensively. I think that he should definitely get a chance at the NHL level this year, especially since he is only on a one year contract so the Canucks will have to decide whether to keep him or not at the end of the season. If that means scratching Michael Del Zotto, I wouldn't mind at all.

Adam Gaudette: Gaudette is currently leading the NCAA in scoring and he's also currently first in Hobey Baker voting. I would love to see him get a chance in the NHL once the NCAA season is over. I think he will be our third line center of the future and if he continues developing as he has been, he will be a very good one. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Dowd or Gaunce scratched to let him play every game once he signs a contract. 

Elias Pettersson: A lot of people would probably love to see him get a look with the Canucks this year. I don't think there's any reason to rush him over here especially if it would mean wasting a year of his entry level contract. I think the Canucks should let him finish the season in Sweden, then sign him to a contract and see if he can make the team out of camp. If he needs a year in the AHL, I don't think that would be an issue at all.

Jonathan Dahlen: Dahlen is currently dominating in the Swedish second division. I think that if he comes over to North America, it would make much more sense to send him to the AHL to helicap Utica in the playoffs rather than rush him to the Canucks.

Zack MacEwen: I've heard very little mention of MacEwen among Canucks fans, but he's quietly had a very impressive first pro season with Utica. 22 points in 38 games is impressive for a rookie pro and he's 6'4" and 212lbs so he has an NHL body. I would love to see him get a chance in the Canucks bottom six before the end of the season.

Michael Carcone: Another player I've heard very little mention of among Canucks fans. Carcone's overall numbers are slightly less impressive than MacEwen's, but he's been very hot since the beginning of December playing with Cole Cassels. I wouldn't mind seeing Carcone get a call up and his energy game and offensive skill would certainly help the Canucks, but I would rather see Gaudette and MacEwen this season. 

Cole Cassels: Playing on a line with Carcone, Cassels has also been very hot since the beginning of December when Utica's entire top line was up with the Canucks and he was given a chance to be the first line center. I would like to see Cassels get a call up to see what he really is because he needs a new contract at the end of the year. I'd rather see him than Chaput or even Dowd as the Canucks 4th line center.

Overall I'd say Holm and Gaudette should both definitely get a look and I would also like to see all three of MacEwen, Carcone and Cassels get at least a few games before the end of the season.

If Markstrom improves with his play, Demko should stay at Utica but if Markstrom falters, we have no other option, we should call up Demko to see some NHL action for a few games before sending him back for AHL playoffs.  

I also feel that Holm should be given a look so that Green can compare which defenceman is better for next season.  I also felt that Goldobin should be given another look and promise him a permeant role next season if he proves to be better than his first stint this season.    Gaudette should be given a shot similar to Boeser to entice him to sign with the Canucks and give him a chance to make the team next season and push out vets.  Finally, Cole Cassels should be given a look only if he continues to be productive in AHL with ppg rate.  

That's just five players that I felt that they should give them a look before season is over.  

Well I guess it all depends whether or not Sedins return. If Sedins retire, which I doubt they will this season, that obviously means more spots open up.

IMO, Gaudette surely makes the team. Holm and Juolevi will be battling it out. 

Been saying this a lot now but Pettersson, Dahlen, MacEwan, Goldobin, obviously Demko, Lind, Gadjovich, Carcone, possibly Cassels (if he gets re-signed or not), and possibly Juolevi should all be left alone next year in Utica. 

I think considering where this team is at, I think Sedins returning for 1 final season would make it so that these prospects can have at least a year in the minors under their belts which sets things up perfectly for a very big 2019-2020 season where several contracts will be off the hooks and we can really get an influx of players in the line-up.

Agree on most of these. In the AHL, I'm particularly high on MacEwen and Holm as potential NHLers. I think MacEwen has a very good chance at becoming a bottom six guy. Holm is a bit older (26), but he's handling himself at the AHL level quite well so far. I could see him being in a Biega-like role, playing the 7th guy who could slot in easily. Our top guys like Demko and Pettersson should stay put. I wouldn't mind Gaudette being given a few games, but I wouldn't be crushed if he just gets the time off too. The rest I'd prefer to see remain in the AHL. I don't think Carcone's skills will transfer to the NHL (and his size) and I'd prefer Cassels to continue to gain confidence in Utica for a bit as he's finally gained his footing there. 

26 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Well I guess it all depends whether or not Sedins return. If Sedins retire, which I doubt they will this season, that obviously means more spots open up.

IMO, Gaudette surely makes the team. Holm and Juolevi will be battling it out. 

Been saying this a lot now but Pettersson, Dahlen, MacEwan, Goldobin, obviously Demko, Lind, Gadjovich, Carcone, possibly Cassels (if he gets re-signed or not), and possibly Juolevi should all be left alone next year in Utica. 

I think considering where this team is at, I think Sedins returning for 1 final season would make it so that these prospects can have at least a year in the minors under their belts which sets things up perfectly for a very big 2019-2020 season where several contracts will be off the hooks and we can really get an influx of players in the line-up.

Goldobin would need to clear waivers. Thats just not going to happen. I agree with what your saying and think a stacked young Utica team is much better to play on then a subpar canucks team. Let the guys develop and call up with injuries. Besides there isn't room for a lot of these guys next year unless we see Sedins and Vanek not resigned or a lot of trades

37 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Agree on most of these. In the AHL, I'm particularly high on MacEwen and Holm as potential NHLers. I think MacEwen has a very good chance at becoming a bottom six guy. Holm is a bit older (26), but he's handling himself at the AHL level quite well so far. I could see him being in a Biega-like role, playing the 7th guy who could slot in easily. Our top guys like Demko and Pettersson should stay put. I wouldn't mind Gaudette being given a few games, but I wouldn't be crushed if he just gets the time off too. The rest I'd prefer to see remain in the AHL. I don't think Carcone's skills will transfer to the NHL (and his size) and I'd prefer Cassels to continue to gain confidence in Utica for a bit as he's finally gained his footing there. 

MacEwen, Holm, Breisboise.

I think I might have a higher ceiling potential than you for MacEwen,  I see him as a top six in 2 to 3 years.. would like to see him get 3-5 games with us starting sometime in February, regardless of any trade deadline movement. If his Summer training is stacked right, I think he sticks with the club next year.  He is characteristically goal orientated and disciplined, and he wants to be in Vancouver.

Holm, playinging solid hockey.. should get the call up if we move a D man by trade deadline.

Breisboise, stronger than what most think, I think his game will only get better once at the NHL level.

I think its unfair to say a players success at the AHL level -  like Boucher  - will not translate at the NHL level.  He is a scorer.  Maybe he is not a fit for the Canucks.  You signed a scorer with proven NHL stats - Louie - and what is he doing for you?  Is it the team and its' system?  What changed for him?  Las Vegas has a team of cast-offs that were disgarded by many organizations who didn't see a future for the player they exposed to the expansion draft.  They are looking pretty good right now.  Flat out Boucher is the best pure goal scorer we've seen here in Utica.  Maybe on a team with steady goaltending and a solid core D  he could utilize his offensive strength.  Right now the Canucks could use more scoring, but they could also use a number one goalie and a much better D.  Travis is no dummy, the only way they can win is for the entire team to play D and that's at the expense of offense.

1 hour ago, UTICANUCK said:

I think its unfair to say a players success at the AHL level -  like Boucher  - will not translate at the NHL level.  He is a scorer.  Maybe he is not a fit for the Canucks.  You signed a scorer with proven NHL stats - Louie - and what is he doing for you?  Is it the team and its' system?  What changed for him?  Las Vegas has a team of cast-offs that were disgarded by many organizations who didn't see a future for the player they exposed to the expansion draft.  They are looking pretty good right now.  Flat out Boucher is the best pure goal scorer we've seen here in Utica.  Maybe on a team with steady goaltending and a solid core D  he could utilize his offensive strength.  Right now the Canucks could use more scoring, but they could also use a number one goalie and a much better D.  Travis is no dummy, the only way they can win is for the entire team to play D and that's at the expense of offense.

Boucher has had tons of chances at the NHL level and proves time and time again that he can't get it done. He's a star in the AHL, but he can't keep up in a scoring role in the NHL.

Honestly instead of crippling Utica and their chances for the playoffs, I would rather most stay and focus on winning there. Why bring them up and be put into this tire fire of a team right now and put all the pressure on them to succeed in 2-3 games or be called a bust? Cassels is finally heading in the right direction in Utica, so no need to disrupt that. MacEwen is still in his rookie season. Demko is taking charge and is likely a leader for them there, no point when Markstrom and Nilsson are healthy. Also, you risk hurting Demko's confidence with such a weak team defensively in front of him in the NHL and then sending him back for a playoff run?

The only players I would have with the Canucks is Gaudette, Holm, and Boucher. 

Gaudette simply because it would be how we get him signed for sure and he will get the Boeser/Molino treatment. 

Holm only if we make some trades at the deadline and have no replacements for them and also if there is that expectation that he would get some NHL games this year (which I think he has earned). 

For Boucher, it's more to showcase him to benefit him in hopes that he can find another team interested in his services. Boucher deserves a shot, but it likely won't be with the Canucks given the prospects coming in and the lack of size this team already has. He's an RFA, so if there is a team interested, we could move him for a low pick potentially or at least keep him interested in staying here another year showing that we will do what is beneficial for him. However, it would probably be best if Boucher stayed in Utica for their playoff push instead.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Boucher has had tons of chances at the NHL level and proves time and time again that he can't get it done. He's a star in the AHL, but he can't keep up in a scoring role in the NHL.

A ton of chances playing with a team the Devils, who at the time played a trapping defensive game with limited offense, and a Canucks team that is currently mediocre in several aspects of it's game.  

Canucks need to be very careful with calling up from Utica...

Too man Utica players called up to the Canucks could result in the Canucks going on a losing streak which would jeopardize our playoff chances....

I say no.  I want the Canucks to win the cup this year. 

PS - we also have so many huge contract veterans that are real leaders on our club.  How will they feel if they get sat and a prospect is played.

Dahlen is staying w Timura. 

I think we know what Boucher is. If he didn't see the ice during injuries I doubt we see him again. Plus who will be left to score goals in Utica.

I think Gaudette and Holm get to wear the scowling orca before the season is through. I would also like to give Labate a look. Seems like we could miss the boat there on a potential NHL pest. Couldn't believe we let Roussel walk he brings so much of what this team needs.

Will get serious looks:

Elias Pettersson is the next big thing.  Expect him to get the 9 game look.

Jonah Gadjovich looked big and fast, and has hands.

Kole Lind looked exactly on par with Jonah.  Politics kept him out of WJC, imo.

Adam Gaudette is leading NCAA scoring!

Zack MacEwen looks like a prototypical 4th line center to me.  Size, speed, grit, and a nose for the net.

Olli Juolevi is oft maligned.  But he moves the puck and is always in the right spot.

Thatcher Demko will make the team out of camp.

Longshots:

Jalen Chatfield was surprisingly mobile and moved past Subban in the depth chart in 1 weekend.

Jonathen Dahlen.  Not a first liner, contrary to the hype.  Think Hansen, guys.

Michael Carcone.  This guy reminds me of Dorsett and LaPierre.  He has the heart to make it.

Guillaum Brisbois is the forgotten prospect in this system.  Has Chris Tanev like potential.

As one can see, this team NEEDS defense prospects.  And LOTS of them.

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

Holm as he seemed to get the short stick on what he signed up for.   Learn from Tryamkin and Rodin or your going to have another walker

Rodin "walking" is nothing to be concerned about. He couldn't overcome his injuries and cleared waivers which meant not a single team saw enough potential to bring him on their team.

Holm did have an opportunity earlier in the year when all of the injuries happened, but he happened to injured at the same time. The Canucks are sitting out Pouliot right now and when Gudbranson returns, there just isn't any room to bring him up currently, so I don't see how he would be seen as getting the short stick. He didn't earn a spot onto the team out of camp and was even behind Weircioch as well. He will get another opportunity to earn a spot in training camp next year should he choose to stay.

Archived