The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tampa and Toronto interested in Chris Tanev, low offers so far

Rush17

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I know Chris Tanev and Jim Benning have both publically stated they want him to stay in Vancouver. There have been reports tho that the team is looking to move him for a young C to play alongside Elias Pettersson.  (Vancouver media). Whether or not that is true his name will likely come up between now and the draft as a possible trade target.

I came across this interesting graphic on twitter today. I don't fully understand it and I only have my phone screen to look at it. But I thought it was interesting. Comparing Tanev to other shut down and shot suppression.

Personally I'm fine if he stays. But I think for the right offer he or possibly even Gudbranson could be had. I don't see any of the older players aside from maybe Sutter as being almost untouchable.  

Tell me what you think and if this graph makes any sense to you.

Tanev's elite shot suppression numbers have been known for a few seasons now, thats why we need a great return for him.

I actually think the Guddy Orpik comparison is the most interesting part, if Guddy turns out to be as effective as Orpik that would be great. 

58 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

I say a trade involving Tanev and Pacioretty seems in order. Right now, I can see this kind of idea being a thing. Dangling Tanev for the big winger to play with Petterson is alot more palatable than paying out the a$$ for one on July 1st.

Makes zero sense for Montreal.  They’re an offence challenged team in need of a top centre or top LHS puck moving D to play with Weber.  

Tanev fills no need and creates another (the loss of Pacioretty’s offence)

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

I say a trade involving Tanev and Pacioretty seems in order. Right now, I can see this kind of idea being a thing. Dangling Tanev for the big winger to play with Petterson is alot more palatable than paying out the a$$ for one on July 1st.

Heck no.  

Old, expensive, on the downswing.  

Not a Max fan at all right here.  

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Makes zero sense for Montreal.  They’re an offence challenged team in need of a top centre or top LHS puck moving D to play with Weber.  

Tanev fills no need and creates another (the loss of Pacioretty’s offence)

That may be true. Something along those lines would definitely be what we're looking for though.

25 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Heck no.  

He’s 29 and makes $4.5m. He had an off year but has been one of the most prolific goal scorers in the league since the lockout.  Regardless. It’s not a deal Montreal would make 

37 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Heck no.  

Old? Lol he's 29...I know the NHL has really gone the way of the youth past few years but don't over do it. 28-32 is prime range for many players. 

I think the Canucks are hoping to improve the team enough in the next couple years in hopes they can re-sign him but I think Tanev's likely heading East when he goes UFA regardless of how the Canucks look.

As such, assuming we could get good value (and based on where we are in the rebuild process), I'd very much welcome a trade. Ideally for futures/young D etc (Sanheim, Hanifin etc).

11 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Old? Lol he's 29...I know the NHL has really gone the way of the youth past few years but don't over do it. 28-32 is prime range for many players. 

We don’t need someone in their prime. 

He is too old for us.  Not the league.  

Ill admit  it my own distaste for the guy fueled my post.    Lol

3 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Except Montreal has no use for Tanev.  They are looking to add offensive Ds.

This is Engels putting in writing what Montreal has been saying all along: 

Same as last year, and the year before that, and the decade before that… The Canadiens desperately need help at centre.

Jonathan Drouin had a hard time in his first NHL season at the position, but he also showed real promise towards the end of it.

As of right now, the plan is to keep the 23-year-old at centre in 2018-19. If they’re going to get the best out of him, they’re going to need to insulate him by acquiring a centre who can play higher up the lineup.

Expect the Canadiens to also seek out depth at the position. 

Another need is a left-shot defenceman who can serve as an adequate partner for Weber.

The team also needs to target a couple of puck-movers who can skate and create offence from the back end.

5 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

If we're doing a trade with Montreal it won't be for Pacioretty. It would be for someone like Galchenyuk or a combination package to move up to the number 3 pick.

As much as they do need defense I think their main focus is on center right now. So maybe something like Tanev + Sutter + 7OA for Galchenyuk + 3OA

9 hours ago, Rush17 said:

That is what it seems like. I'm just not that knowledgable on these charts. Maybe someone can enlighten us who knows more about these graphs.

It's nowhere near as simple as "shot suppression" alone - which is hipster-speak for corsi-gazing.

Tanev does a lot of things well - as do many players who's "shot suppression" numbers don't appear to be as impressive.

Any metric like this taken in isolation is relatively useless and doesn't really tell you much at all.

How do the numbers look if we isolate simple "goal suppression"? 

Well, but that metric, as opposed to shot attempt differentials, Gudbranson is the best defensive blueliner on the team, allowing a mere 2.0 on ice goals against per 60 at even strength.

And Tanev, despite the dzone starts and high quality competition/opposition, still only gives up 2.5 on ice gaa/60.  His corsi has actually dipped to 47.3% the past two seasons, but again his deployment has to be kept in context.

Anyhow, clearly all kinds of additional factors play in - zone starts, quality of competition, the quality and level of threat of the shots the opposition are taking, and from where, the quality of his linemates / health, depth and effectiveness of the rest of the roster, etc.

Tanev is a great skater, who thinks the game at an elite level.  There may not be another defenseman in the NHL that anticipates and pre-empts plays as effecitvely as he does.  He is also a fearless and outstanding puck retriever, even against aggressive forechecking teams - who is willing to take a hit and makes his first pass with elite levels of consistency and accuracy, while mitigating his risks as well as anyone.  Simply calm and level-headed in all situations - and always highly focused.  He's an under-rated puck carrier imo - he simply doesn't elect to with great frequency - and he probably has an under-rated shot as well, in part because he doesn't release it with frequency (but his shot % has always been respectable).  His offensive upside is likely underestimated because his deployment is so heavily weighted to matchup/shutdown, dzone starts and his engery is for the most part committed to that role.  But if Tanev were to play on a deeper, less injured blueline, with a faster and more threatening forward group, with more defensive support, he could also emerge as more of a two way defenseman.  But his value simply cannot be summed up in a simple "shot suppression" metric.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If we're doing a trade with Montreal it won't be for Pacioretty. It would be for someone like Galchenyuk or a combination package to move up to the number 3 pick.

As much as they do need defense I think their main focus is on center right now. So maybe something like Tanev + Sutter + 7OA for Galchenyuk + 3OA

I was thinking of this exact deal yesterday!

Must be a sign!!

:lol:

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Who do we draft at 3 OA?  Weren’t their some serious concerns about Chucky’s off ice antics?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who do we draft at 3 OA?  Weren’t their some serious concerns about Chucky’s off ice antics?  

Hadn't heard about that.

At third overall we could really shore up our left wing depth (which is our weakest position). Zadina or Tkachuk would give us a much more balanced attack.

For example:

Zadina Horvat Boeser

Galchenyuk Granlund Eriksson 

Or

Tkachuk Horvat Boeser

Galchenyuk Pettersson Eriksson 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Once again.  Montreal doesn’t need Tanev. They need a top centre a a puck moving RHS D to partner with Tanev.  They need to increase their goal scoring.  Tanev is pretty much the exact opposite of what they’re looking for 

48 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Once again.  Montreal doesn’t need Tanev. They need a top centre a a puck moving RHS D to partner with Tanev.  They need to increase their goal scoring.  Tanev is pretty much the exact opposite of what they’re looking for 

Any team looking to contend needs a player like Tanev, that's a bad argument. Ask Price if he'd like to have Tanev on his team.

They don't have to fill every hole they have with one trade. That trade would help them shore up their center depth and their lack of depth on D. They can solve the goal scoring problem in free agency, and draft the number 1 center they've been lacking in Kotkaniemi.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Any team looking to contend needs a player like Tanev, that's a bad argument. Ask Price if he'd like to have Tanev on his team.

They don't have to fill every hole they have with one trade. That trade would help them shore up their center depth and their lack of depth on D. They can solve the goal scoring problem in free agency, and draft the number 1 center they've been lacking in Kotkaniemi.

Montreal has Weber and Petry on the right side.  Another RHS D is pretty much the last thing theyre looking for.  Bergevin only has a few high value trade chips.  Wasting one without addressing any of their biggest needs would be idiotic  even for him.  Vancouver and Montreal aren't good trading partners, they're essentially looking for the same things. 

Archived